Crushed red pepper musings

Discussion in 'Whats Cooking? Food, Drink, & Gear' started by 2bApical?, Dec 1, 2018.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Dec 1, 2018 #1

2bApical?

2bApical?

2bApical?

I seem to be compelled to put this stuff on something I eat everyday. I use a few different brands I get in the Asian grocery stores. Maybe Vietnamese but can't really tell. Can't always get what I was used to anymore and bought a dud brand once and was very upset and found every day life intolerable without decent crushed red pepper. What I'm using now is ok but not what may be somewhat better stuff that I haven't been able to get anymore. So any ideas on a gourmet level crushed red pepper with a hi level of good flavor? Hot is not needed or even wanted that much. I can always add hot with a touch of ground high heat powder. Since I use this all the time and am on a low salt diet it would be nice if I could up my flavor game on the red pepper thing. Thanks, 2bApical?

McMan likes this.
  2. Dec 1, 2018 #2
  3. Dec 1, 2018 #3

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

MrHiggins

Aleppo pepper

4. Dec 1, 2018 #4
  5. Dec 1, 2018 #5

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

I make my own with in a dehydrator on higher temps… gives a nice slightly caramelized flavour too (in addition to the burn lol)
    IMG_4938.jpg
    IMG_4939.jpg

6. Dec 1, 2018 #6

WildBoar

WildBoar

WildBoar

Home cook, knife accumulator Founding Member

We use a combo here of McCormick, Kirkland and peppers taken from the garden and dried/ crushed. Honestly I do not find much difference in flavor (just some variation in heat level).

7. Dec 1, 2018 #7

2bApical?

2bApical?

2bApical?

Send some out, along with that lovely knife. I'm not a knife person but looking at things like that make it tempting. Do you crush them?

8. Dec 1, 2018 #8

dafox

dafox

dafox

For Asian food I use the little dried whole red chilies from Thailand, i have a spice grinder dedicated for this. For pizza topping just "red pepper flakes" from the regular grocery store.
    And actually, for a lot of my stir fries I use chili oil.

9. Dec 1, 2018 #9

9mmbhp

9mmbhp

9mmbhp

Supporting Member

One of my favorites.

I also keep these around: calabrian, the common mexican varieties: chipotle morita (hot&smokey), ancho (sweet&raisiny), pasilla negro, mulato, guajillo, tepin, cascabel, aji amarillo as well as habanero, korean, thai/bird's eye, indian and pakistani.

Whole dried chiles are inexpensive and last almost forever, start collecting and use a blade coffee grinder to make your own blends.

https://www.spicesinc.com/t-chiles-and-hot-peppers.aspx
    https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/chiles-paprikas/chiles
    https://www.thechileguy.com/products/peppers/
    https://www.mexgrocer.com/catagories-spices---herbs-chilipods.html

10. Dec 1, 2018 #10

LostHighway

LostHighway

LostHighway

11. Dec 2, 2018 #11

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

aboynamedsuita

Supporting Member

Yes I crush them or I also have a dedicated coffee/spice grinder and make them into powder

12. Dec 3, 2018 #12

minibatataman

minibatataman

minibatataman

I'm from Lebanon, we grow halabi (Aleppo) peppers ourselves then sun dry it the old fashioned way, hung on twine. Whenever we need crushed flakes we do just that and for everything else just use it whole.

13. Dec 4, 2018 #13

brainsausage

brainsausage

brainsausage

I would have to disagree with this sentiment. Dried chili’s are best when relatively fresh, and will start to lose flavor the longer they sit in my experience.

14. Dec 4, 2018 #14

JoBone

JoBone

JoBone

I’m with the grow your own and dehydrate. I use a variety of peppers, some medium, some hot. I also smoke some of them with my Kamado Joe to add to the mix.

I’ll adjust the heat level depending on who wants them. It’s a pretty cool, no hot, hobby of mine.

Attached Files:

15. Dec 4, 2018 #15

Bodine

Bodine

Bodine

I grow Poblanos, Jalepenos, Moles, Habeneros and Cayennes, smoke them on the egg , then into the dehydrator they go until crispy. Then store in freezer ziplocks until needed, then ground.
    They seem to stay fresh that way.

16. Dec 4, 2018 #16

Paraffin

Paraffin

Paraffin

I would like to grow my own chili peppers. I just don't know how to do that in a northern climate like this (outskirts of Seattle area, Pacific Northwest). What are we talking about here... greenhouse? Something I can do in my kitchen with barely a little exposure to light in the long winter months? If ya'll can point me to a blog or something for info I'd appreciate it.

I just ordered a couple of bags of dried "Facing Heaven" Sechuan chilies from Mala Market for homemade Hot Chili Oil, and I'm glad to have the source, but it would also be fun to try growing them, or the other chilies we use constantly at home.

17. Dec 4, 2018 #17

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
    I garden in East central Minnesota. No greenhouse, I have wrecked a cheap softsided one in the past- And I usually have more chilis than anything else in my gardens.

I get by starting pepper seeds with some decent grow lights over and a "mini water bed" I improvise for warmth under the seedling flats. Took one of those large heavy duty plastic bags sold to place wardrobe items in and suck the air out with a vacuum cleaner, filled it with about 3" of water in a home made 4' X 2' plywood and 2x4 frame, a water bed heater element and sensor keep the water temperature in the upper 80s (F), the soil in the seedling flats is usually about 85. Peppers LOVE warm soil.

In the Pacific Northwest, excess rain might be your biggest problem, chilis don't like to have wet feet. See attached pictures of a garden I plant rather closer to a swamp than they would like if grown directly in the soil at the garden's level- I take 5 gallon buckets, drill 5 or so 1" holes in the base, fill with good pepper growing soil (sand for drainage, slightly acidic, high organic content, LOTS of bone meal).

Net result, watered spareingly, the peppers grow roots down to the soggy garden soil they're sitting on through the drainage holes- But no matter how much it rains, the base of the plant and upper roots are never under water, being about a foot higher than the surrounding area and well drained.

View attachment 45494

View attachment 45494 .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  18. Dec 4, 2018 #18

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow

I rarely sprinkle it directly into food. I do bloom it in warm oil for stir frys and braises tho. I love the added warmth.

Seriously my tin at home is full of free pizza delivery pepper flakes. :)

19. Dec 4, 2018 #19

Bert2368

Bert2368

Bert2368

Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN