Curious about slurry

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the opposite camp based on feel, I like no slurry, maybe a little in the rare case I go for kasumi polish. Too much and starting to dry up it could probably act as a dished stone.

I like some slurry (although I usually don’t do anything to raise it) so long as I’m not doing the final edge leading strokes for sharpness. Then I want a clean stone.
Sure, but with some stones I have a problem when cleaning before the last strokes and deburring. E.g. the Chosera 2k is rather aggressive when clean. I raise some fresh mud using a small Coticule as a Nagura.

Sure, but with some stones I have a problem when cleaning before the last strokes and deburring. E.g. the Chosera 2k is rather aggressive when clean. I raise some fresh mud using a small Coticule as a Nagura.

I have never thought about this before, but now I will! Thanks!

Earlier I also tried 2k with low mud, but now I prefer clean - no mud Chosera 3k

Curry is a serious business.

Ok, to the thread then.....I generally wash away slurry unless I'm polishing. I prefer to use a clean stone and rinse ofter

I'm for that! It is better to have a few stones more than kitchens in the mud - seriously, on clean stones I have better control over what is happening (and my wife is in a better mood!)

This was my experience with the Chosera 3000, a very well regarded stone. Very much different behavior with/without slurry, at least for me.

Sidenote: Do people actually believe slurry matters? I have heard this statement "slurry is what's actually doing the sharpening". My belief is that the sludge is mostly just keeping moisture on the surface of the stone.

imo there are 3-4 types of slurry.

synth steel slurry.
synth stone slurry
nat mixed slurry. or maybe nat stone slurry and nat steel slurry.

in my experience with synths, that steel slurry seems to create contrast between jigane and hagane for example with the shapton pro 1k and 2k. if you flush the steel away no contrast. these stones also release minimum abrasive.

with the naniwa pros (i have the 800 and 2k currently) that steel slurry is mixed with stone slurry and they also create (good) contrast. the naniwas release quite a bit abrasive. the 1k is actually very messy to deal with.

i dont feel the naniwas are faster than the shaptons though even when filled with slurry. quite the opposite actually. but they still work fast though.
-----------

with my cotis the slurry seems to accelerate the sharpening, but you go from turtle to slightly younger turtle in pace...

with my only jnat, (an uchigumori) its super duper slow no matter slurry or not. and it creates steel slurry in a few seconds and that creates good contrast in less than 1 minute. so dont know if there is any wisdom to be gathered from that stone. it creates contrast no matter what, and does it fast, and i see steel slurry on the stone fast no matter what. does not seem to be releasing a lot of stone though. almost nothing at all. ymmv.

imo there are 3-4 types of slurry.

synth steel slurry.
synth stone slurry
nat mixed slurry. or maybe nat stone slurry and nat steel slurry.

in my experience with synths, that steel slurry seems to create contrast between jigane and hagane for example with the shapton pro 1k and 2k. if you flush the steel away no contrast. these stones also release minimum abrasive.

with the naniwa pros (i have the 800 and 2k currently) that steel slurry is mixed with stone slurry and they also create (good) contrast. the naniwas release quite a bit abrasive. the 1k is actually very messy to deal with.

i dont feel the naniwas are faster than the shaptons though even when filled with slurry. quite the opposite actually. but they still work fast though.
-----------

with my cotis the slurry seems to accelerate the sharpening, but you go from turtle to slightly younger turtle in pace...

with my only jnat, (an uchigumori) its super duper slow no matter slurry or not. and it creates steel slurry in a few seconds and that creates good contrast in less than 1 minute. so dont know if there is any wisdom to be gathered from that stone. it creates contrast no matter what, and does it fast, and i see steel slurry on the stone fast no matter what. does not seem to be releasing a lot of stone though. almost nothing at all. ymmv.
This is why you're my favorite poster - particularly since I've now saved this page to my favorites: http://zknives.com/knives/kitchen/misc/jpnktknvterms.shtml

Latest posts

Back