Curious on knife suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manakh

Reaction score
USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef and fish fillet

Are you right or left handed?

right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

don't think I have a preference

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

chef - 170-220mm
fillet - 210-250mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

chef - not entirely but some, if I cut an onion it's not going to rust if I don't wipe it off right away and set it down. My wife will be using this as well and she won't remember to wipe or rinse it off immediately, she'll use it intermittently over the course of an hour or whatever. Will be hand washed and dried before storing.

fillet - sometimes can't be 100% hand dried, not soaking wet but damp for a while, sometimes just rinse with fresh water really well and wipe it off on sleeve or pant leg and is damp but not wet until I get home. My filleting is mostly out after fishing not at home, often at the marina or on shore before coming home.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

200-300 per knife MAX maybe some options in different price points with different steels?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

chef - home but we don't own tons of knives so this will be used for multiple tasks and almost daily

fillet - professional

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

cheff - slicing, chopping, dicing veggies, and slicing and trimming meat but no bone. Somewhat of a do all

fillet - filleting fish, some cutting through albacore or salmon bones.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Chef - X
fillet - bubba blade which is 8cr13mov

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

mostly hammer-ish

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Chef - chop, dice, julienne
fillet - fillet but not skin

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

More function over cosmetics, but don't want it to just look like junk

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

easier is better but doesn't have to be the easiest nor the most difficult

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

long lasting is nice but a Rockwell of low to mid 60s might chip a little easy for my wife.

the bubba blades I can get rather sharp but they don't stay sharp long enough when I'm filleting or carcing a bunch of fish at once or literally every day. I don't want to have to sharpen daily like I sometimes do with the bubba blades.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes but I would love a recommendation on stones as well.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

yes, please suggest proper stones as well. Not having the highest quality of knives, my sharpeners are probably incorrect for taking that step into a more professional knife category

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back