Custom handle fitting

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozg31337

Reaction score
Hello knives enthusiasts.

Could you please recommend me a master or a shop who can replace a current stock handle with a custom made handle on my Watanabe gyuto? The handle that I am planning to get is a wa-handle with dimensions 153mm, 26x24 at thickest side and 23x21 in the thinest.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry for the typos in the previous message. Autocorrector gone mad and I didn't check before posting.

Last edited:
Some typos corrected and additional info added to the original post.

Would help if you provide a location :)

I'd personally say Jobone makes some greatlooking work

Thanks guys. What I have failed to say is I am looking for a fitter in United Kingdom or Europe, which is probably the most important bit :)

i have a few tips though. I have rehandled all (almost all) my knives with my own handles.
first make sure the tang can go in as far as you want in the handle. if it can't then you have to chop the tang or deepen the hole, if it goes too far just tape up the tang where you want it to end in the handle so it can't go deeper.

tape up entire blade, glue gets everywhere and while its usually not a big problem to remove by simply peeling it off with a small knife, having it taped saves you time.

tape up the handle good unless you intend to sand it afterwards, the glue will flow out of the hole and down on the handle. and onto the floor :)

make sure the hole of the handle is facing upwards, clamp it in some way so it stays like this, fill hole with whatever glue you want.

stick tang in the hole.

wait.

remove all tape.

done.

Great tips! I think I will use the beeswax as a temp glue instead. I might change the handle as I get accustomed/bored to the knife after years. Just want to keep the options open.

Great tips! I think I will use the beeswax as a temp glue instead. I might change the handle as I get accustomed/bored to the knife after years. Just want to keep the options open.

Scuff up the tang with some coarse sandpaper, unless it's already a little rough. It'll give the beeswax a little extra grip.

Great tip, @M1k3 I will do it with a coarse sand paper. Will keep the pictures flowing once I get the delivery of the handle, which should hopefully be within the next week or two.

Back