Custom Honyaki Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I need to clarify I have tried more than enough knives in the past. There’s some I like and some I dislike sold away. Now I don’t go and write down the exact specs of each and every knife and take down their measurements on why I liked or disliked the knife. That’s why I kept the custom honyaki specs kind of open-ended without hard criteria’s. I just was not sure if it is better to specify details and to what extent. As others have said if I were expecting something to my exact specs I would be setting myself up for disappointment so I decided to leave it up to the maker now. I don’t really feel like playing cat and mouse with other knives anymore so I want something I can have and call quits on for the time being. It may not make sense to most people here but it is a way for me to almost make peace with what I have. Even if it ends up not exactly like I specified that is a risk I am aware of. I have already contacted a retailer who is able to work with me on the knife as will go forward with that. That being said my original questions still remain to be answered as I would like to put myself in good hands.

Edit: I've also been looking at the western smiths recommended so thanks for all those

Last edited:
Question is where to get a Toyama Honyaki - I have been looking for 2 years
Toyama doesn’t make honyakis anymore. Watanabe from time to time drops a honyaki in his specials section so check that frequently, or ask him very nicely.

Reactions: hmh
Isn't the ultimate goal TF, anyways, not honyaki? :)

@ts: keep the thread updated when you order one and how it went :)

Btw, I just got a Honyaki by this maker - it is stunning and you can ask him to make you one

1980796D-0D71-401E-BCA9-E36314110E91.jpeg
F9D96737-E507-4409-8A73-6ECE49C7DE08.jpeg
37E7477E-5DBB-4B67-B23F-DDEB0CA75908.jpeg
4CE8C6BA-F11C-41F5-BB84-B77E0D36BF5C.jpeg

I feel like I need to clarify I have tried more than enough knives in the past. There’s some I like and some I dislike sold away. Now I don’t go and write down the exact specs of each and every knife and take down their measurements on why I liked or disliked the knife. That’s why I kept the custom honyaki specs kind of open-ended without hard criteria’s. I just was not sure if it is better to specify details and to what extent. As others have said if I were expecting something to my exact specs I would be setting myself up for disappointment so I decided to leave it up to the maker now. I don’t really feel like playing cat and mouse with other knives anymore so I want something I can have and call quits on for the time being. It may not make sense to most people here but it is a way for me to almost make peace with what I have. Even if it ends up not exactly like I specified that is a risk I am aware of. I have already contacted a retailer who is able to work with me on the knife as will go forward with that. That being said my original questions still remain to be answered as I would like to put myself in good hands.

Edit: I've also been looking at the western smiths recommended so thanks for all those

It also depends greatly on what knife maker you commission a knife from—some are fine with taking exact specs, while others might get annoyed if feeling micro-managed. Think the last custom I ordered, I said "I'd like a gyuto in the 220–230 range, in whatever carbon steel you're working with..."; I like to give a knife maker room to play, do the knife they feel like making. Another maker was more specific about what dimensions and profile I wanted.

I'm also a big fan of just buying off-the-shelf, which most of my knives are—avoiding long waits, and second guessing decisions.

As I and others had mentioned, developing a relationship with a trusted vendor can land you a stellar knife. Knife forums can offer opinions, a vendor can deliver the goods.

It also depends greatly on what knife maker you commission a knife from—some are fine with taking exact specs, while others might get annoyed if feeling micro-managed. Think the last custom I ordered, I said "I'd like a gyuto in the 220–230 range, in whatever carbon steel you're working with..."; I like to give a knife maker room to play, do the knife they feel like making. Another maker was more specific about what dimensions and profile I wanted.

I'm also a big fan of just buying off-the-shelf, which most of my knives are—avoiding long waits, and second guessing decisions.

As I and others had mentioned, developing a relationship with a trusted vendor can land you a good knife.
Solid advice

I got it off his website - I prefer off the shelf, otherwise too many decisions to make

let the maker do his thing. This one is a beauty for sure. Can’t wait to use it later this week. My first HF - other than the small one on loan from my neighbor @alterwisser

I got it off his website - I prefer off the shelf, otherwise too many decisions to make

let the maker do his thing. This one is a beauty for sure. Can’t wait to use it later this week. My first HF - other than the small one on loan from my neighbor @alterwisser

Been wanting a HF for a long time. You landed beaut.

Appreciate all the input. I'm finalizing my order with a vendor and all that's left is the quoted cost to put myself in crippling debt. I ended up going with Togashi and Yohei due to availability and their Hitohira honyaki line is impeccable. They don't work with blue #1 anymore so picking blue #2 was an easy choice. I ended up only specifying a height of 53 mm +/- 1mm and a specific hamon style. I will continue to update as I go deeper in the process.

Appreciate all the input. I'm finalizing my order with a vendor and all that's left is the quoted cost to put myself in crippling debt. I ended up going with Togashi and Yohei due to availability and their Hitohira honyaki line is impeccable. They don't work with blue #1 anymore so picking blue #2 was an easy choice. I ended up only specifying a height of 53 mm +/- 1mm and a specific hamon style. I will continue to update as I go deeper in the process.

I have one of those (Hitohira Togashi Yohei honyaki 240) in white 1 and it's magical - my favorite knife for most cutting tasks.

You still have that knife? Lol. I forgot.

i really need to make an inventory list hahaha

out of curiosity, what vendor did you go with? I've been thinking about going with a custom honyaki was well.

out of curiosity, what vendor did you go with? I've been thinking about going with a custom honyaki was well.
I have contacted several actually. It all comes down to which blacksmith you want and if you have a preference for a specific sharpener as each one will usually vary by company. If you have the specifics in mind I can give a more concrete answer but I ended up with Tosho.

The only custom honyaki I want is a western handle and unfortunately not many Japanese makers make them. Got a few western makers I’m shortlisting now. Just need to pony up for it one day. Might need to sell my kidneys for that.

Back