Custom makers, deposits and the fallout from the PR (!!) fiasco

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry it was a simplification... But efficiencies help but they aint gonna get rid of a 3+ month wait list.

Always good to get insight into the world of the makers we order from. Looking forward to my knives from Bloodroot.....sometime around September 2019, lol. Nice to space out the purchases, as long as I don't double up thing from other wait times of course. I do put in for a knife in their lottery process every now and again, though for the love of something holy I don't need more knives from what I have or have ordered :knife:

I would take it you are right or close to it.

Its also why, as much as the Bloodroots guys have their sh!t in order, 3 years is a long time and a lot can happen in that time frame... and i struggle to commit to anything beyond a "your name is on my list" style of thing for that length or wait list.

It is a long time, and I had trouble doing it myself... but their work was so beautiful, and I liked the idea so much, that I got on. It's only $100 (small potatoes in this world) and it gave me three years to figure out exactly what I wanted them to make - for now it's a small set of 90mm petty, 150mm petty, 180mm santoku, and 240mm gyuto, but it may change by then, and by the time I'm sending them a very large PayPal there shouldn't be much risk that I don't like the knives. Their work I have 100% faith in; my own knowledge of what I want is the tripping point there. Hopefully by then I can fund the purchase by putting a bunch of my other knives on BST here. :)

Always good to get insight into the world of the makers we order from. Looking forward to my knives from Bloodroot.....sometime around September 2019, lol. Nice to space out the purchases, as long as I don't double up thing from other wait times of course. I do put in for a knife in their lottery process every now and again, though for the love of something holy I don't need more knives from what I have or have ordered :knife:

Ha - I go and drool over their work for every sale, but keep coming back to the fact that I want something from them that's personally meaningful, and something from a monthly sale wouldn't be.

Oh and hey, @BloodrootLS, can you confirm my guess that custom orders are priced the same as the monthly sale pieces at that time? So for example, if a monthly 240mm gyuto goes for $700, that same knife as part of a custom order (that month) would also go for $700? Just to help me keep in mind what the price will be; obviously I'm assuming prices will go up over the course of the next three years, but at least I could monitor where they are as that time gets closer.

Ha - I go and drool over their work for every sale, but keep coming back to the fact that I want something from them that's personally meaningful, and something from a monthly sale wouldn't be.

Oh and hey, @BloodrootLS, can you confirm my guess that custom orders are priced the same as the monthly sale pieces at that time? So for example, if a monthly 240mm gyuto goes for $700, that same knife as part of a custom order (that month) would also go for $700? Just to help me keep in mind what the price will be; obviously I'm assuming prices will go up over the course of the next three years, but at least I could monitor where they are as that time gets closer.

Yes you're right. The sale prices are the same as the customs that are being put on the books at the same time. If we raise prices it happens immediately for the sale knives and for customers who are just contacting us to start discussing custom pieces, but the new pricing is not realized for us on the custom knives until the lag of however long the waiting list is at that point. We also, for transparency, put our pricing on each picture in our galleries on our website and keep those up to date so that customers can have a very good idea of what a similar custom knife would cost them.

Thank you all for your kind words as well and I hope that we can live up to your expectations and repay you for your patience.

~Luke

Just want to say that I've been waiting for this thread or its equivalent for a long time. The push and pull craft/artisan vs. business mentalities among people selling their talent (knifemakers, obviously, but also people like tailors) is fascinating. Thanks to everyone and in particular to Luke of Bloodroot for the insights.

Back