Custom Togashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishmanDE

Reaction score
So after hearing that Evan over at Strata is capable of doing custom orders, I reached out to get an idea of what was do-able. After a brief chat, the idea of a taller Togashi was bounced around. That said, Togashi has an order minimum of 6 blades. Would anyone be interested in this? It’d be around 55mm at the heel, I was thinking Aogami 1 steel iron clad. Evan also thinks we need another tweak or two to make it more interesting for Togashi, but I’m still awaiting a response with ideas for how we could do that. Let me know what you all think!

does Togashi have access to cladding materials that arent soft stainless or regular iron? e.g. could we get wrought iron?

Id say if I could have any specs in the world 245x55 aogami 2 with a hitorhia zircote handle in a wrought iron convex wide bevel would be it.

Ooooh yes this would perfect, I would love to be in for this.
wide bevel, western handle?

does Togashi have access to cladding materials that arent soft stainless or regular iron? e.g. could we get wrought iron?

Id say if I could have any specs in the world 245x55 aogami 2 with a hitorhia zircote handle in a wrought iron convex wide bevel would be it.

fabulous question, I have no idea lol. I will ask about all this in the next email. I am on board for those specks as well, though now we all need to come to a consensus on a steel lol

I have to double check with Evan, but I think there’s 2 MAYBE 3 spots open as of now on this train. That said, if there’s serious interest mounting, 6 is of course only the minimum. Who’s in for 245x55 Gyuto steel to be determined?

Can we do kurochi wide bevel to make it cheap? Is the spine thickness customizable? Can we ask for something at least 3.5 mm thick above the heel? It looks like some Togashis are just 2 mm thick.

Can we do kurochi wide bevel to make it cheap? Is the spine thickness customizable? Can we ask for something at least 3.5 mm thick above the heel? It looks like some Togashis are just 2 mm thick.

I like kurouchi but Togashi's isnt the best implementation to my taste.

also I think youre working against yourself as a thicker stock would probably more than offset the savings of the ku finish.

not saying I hate the idea of thicker stock though. ofc Im also expecting a 600 or maybe even 700+ dollar knife here based on what we're discussing.

I like kurouchi but Togashi's isnt the best implementation to my taste.

also I think youre working against yourself as a thicker stock would probably more than offset the savings of the ku finish.

not saying I hate the idea of thicker stock though. ofc Im also expecting a 600 or maybe even 700+ dollar knife here based on what we're discussing.
Basically I'm more willing to pay for extra thick spine than the finish. And this Ku blue 2 one already looks good to me with a 230*52 size and a 4.2mm spine, and a $410 price tag. If we ask for something similar with a little more height (55mm) and length and a better handle, we might get it for around $500-$550.

Hitohira Togashi Blue #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm Ho Wood Handle

Basically I'm more willing to pay for extra thick spine than the finish. And this Ku blue 2 one already looks good to me with a 230*52 size and a 4.2mm spine, and a $410 price tag. If we ask for something similar with a little more height (55mm) and length and a better handle, we might get it for around $500-$550.

Hitohira Togashi Blue #2 Kurouchi Gyuto 240mm Ho Wood Handle

that's fair.

the knife you posted is very practical, I will admit. but for a custom order I was hoping for something a bit on the nicer end. I have one of the new line he's done with stainless cladding and a full convex and I like it more than my ku ones. it also cost a lot more but such is life.

Lots of options here.

In terms of something unique but in Togashi's wheelhouse, I haven't seen a stainless clad aogami gyuto with a wide bevel from him yet. That would be recognizably Togashi but also special, I think, especially with a Ziricote handle.

This is absolutely Nick's project, but for what it's worth, here are my preferences in order:

1) heel height at least 54mm
2) wide bevel w/shinogi
3) kasumi finish
4) shirogami steel

First two are very important to me, and I don't particularly like kurouchi finishes. I'm flexible on steel and cladding.

I can ask about spine thickness. As for wide bevel KU to make it cheap, based on my conversation thus far with Evan, mr. togashi seems to really want to make something special when it comes to the customs. I’ll float ideas out though.

Lots of options here.

In terms of something unique but in Togashi's wheelhouse, I haven't seen a stainless clad aogami gyuto with a wide bevel from him yet. That would be recognizably Togashi but also special, I think, especially with a Ziricote handle.

This is absolutely Nick's project, but for what it's worth, here are my preferences in order:

1) heel height at least 54mm
2) wide bevel w/shinogi
3) kasumi finish
4) shirogami steel

First two are very important to me, and I don't particularly like kurouchi finishes. I'm flexible on steel and cladding.

Can everyone interested please reply with their preferences in this^ format? That’ll give me a better idea of how many people are on the same page. Maybe if there’s enough interest split to two types, we could just do a larger order

Can everyone interested please reply with their preferences in this^ format? That’ll give me a better idea of how many people are on the same page. Maybe if there’s enough interest split to two types, we could just do a larger order

my must haves are:
1. meaningfully convexed, preferably wide bevel but full convex is also fine. idgaf if his son sharpens them he is good but no hollow wide bevels for the love of all that is holy.
2. true 240x54+ blade size (ok I can give a little on the length but 220 is just too short IMO)
3. high end handle, doesnt have to be Hitohira but their zircote and tahei handles are 🔥

nice to haves:
* > 225g weight
* full migaki/kasumi finish
* slightly flatter/pointier profile than he normally does. not full on KS just a step in that direction
* stone finished bevels
* blue 2 or white 1, blue 1 maybe also is ok

probably deal breakers for me personally:
* Togashi's KU
* honyaki (just for price considerations)
* ho wood handles
* white 2
* 4 figure price

given that his 270s with stainless clad blue 1 and zircote handles were like 750, that would be about my expectation for price on this group of taller 240s. if it's over 1000 I cant justify the ask and would rather at that point just spend up and get a honyaki.

Okay easy mate.
I would be after these specs but they are not rock solid, I can adjust my hopes.

1) 55mm heel height
2) wide bevel
3) blue steel
4) slight convex

western handles might tickle his fancy as they a bit different to his normal work, we could otherwise ask for wrought iron or traditional iron for the cladding if possible to make it different? Maybe a Nashiji finish which I don’t think he does normally?

Between the Kamon drop, a knife order I have in progress, and another knife I just received a couple weeks ago I'm an unlikely "maybe." However, in the event circumstances fall so I was in:
Aogami 1 or or 2 Zero interest in Shirogami
Iron, wrought iron, or old iron clad
Migaki/kasumi finish
240 mm maximum edge length, prefer 225 to 230 mm actual edge length, not from ferrule
Wide bevel or WH convex, as has been repeatedly noted no concave wide bevels
I'm okay with the 55 mm heel
Ziricote, Cherry, Enju, Keyaki, or Yew handle w/horn ferrule. Hard "no" to Yo handle

As a relative newbie, can we watch and see what comes out, and jump on if it makes sense at a later time (before the order is finalized, of course)? The concept is interesting, but I'd rather let you pros sort out the details... :)

As a relative newbie, can we watch and see what comes out, and jump on if it makes sense at a later time (before the order is finalized, of course)? The concept is interesting, but I'd rather let you pros sort out the details... :)

The will be a couple available at strata for those who want to wait and see

Back