Custom Togashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Preferences for me would be

1) 55ishmm heel
2) blue steel (1 or 2)
3) wide bevel, convex grind
4) Iron clad

Also unfortunately once the price starts to go north 600-700$ my wallets interest starts to fade fast

Possible dumb question, but do all 6 blades need to be exactly the same? So all the buyers need to come to a consensus?

I basically want a taller version of this Togashi White 1 Kasumi Stainless, but I'm open to other steels.

1) heel height at least 54mm
2) kasumi finish
3) shirogami steel
4) 230mm edge length
5) Ebony handle

To spice things up a bit, a nashiji finish at the top, kasumi in the middle, followed by generous exposure of core steel. Black core steel??

Possible dumb question, but do all 6 blades need to be exactly the same? So all the buyers need to come to a consensus?

I basically want a taller version of this Togashi White 1 Kasumi Stainless, but I'm open to other steels.

1) heel height at least 54mm
2) kasumi finish
3) shirogami steel
4) 230mm edge length
5) Ebony handle

To spice things up a bit, a nashiji finish at the top, kasumi in the middle, followed by generous exposure of core steel. Black core steel??

I do believe they all need to be the same, yes. Though I’m double checking if we can maybe get a couple with differing handle situations

I have to double check with Evan, but I think there’s 2 MAYBE 3 spots open as of now on this train. That said, if there’s serious interest mounting, 6 is of course only the minimum. Who’s in for 245x55 Gyuto steel to be determined?
Once more, I am in! But let’s go with blue 1 as it is rarer, but maybe more expensive

Once more, I am in! But let’s go with blue 1 as it is rarer, but maybe more expensive

it might be less common, and it can take higher HRCs, but is it actually better?

blue 2 is the best balanced of the Hitachi carbons IMO. but, blue 1 wouldnt be a deal breaker for me either.

Lots of good thoughts here. Has Togashi worked with Aogami Super? Would you guys be interested? Might be an interesting "wrinkle." That said, any Hitachi carbon steel is fine with me.

Lots of good thoughts here. Has Togashi worked with Aogami Super? Would you guys be interested? Might be an interesting "wrinkle." That said, any Hitachi carbon steel is fine with me.
I think both blue 1/2 will work just fine. My toyama’s are blue 2 I believe and their edge seems to last a long time.
Key is can we get a premier sharpener - if yes, I am in 100% and we can probably get 10 buyers!

I‘d be interested.

Preferences are:

Blue 1 but I’d be ok with B2. No interest in white
54+,
not longer than 240,
kasumi finish, I’d pass on KU.
wh grind and fairly thick spine.

I have his Blue 1 Honyaki and it’s a fabulous knife. However, it’s more a laser than a wh. Also the Ziricote wa handle has a diameter which is too small and I have small hands, so be careful.

if we could get Tosa as sharpener, I’m in for sure.

I doubt this would have much appeal based on cost... but I would be super interested in a 'budget Ashi' as a polishing project. In some ways, Togashi is already close...

My preferences might be:
  • Honyaki with lots of banding
  • Ambivalent about steel but I believe Togashi's Blue #1 has the banding?
  • Nice geometric wave hamon - double hamon or other effects would be a bonus!
  • 240mm length
  • 55-60mm at the heel
  • typical gyuto profile - decent flat spot with a gentle taper up to a mid height tip
  • Middle to heavy weight spine with sanjo-like distal taper - >5mm at the handle rapidly down to 2-3mm for the majority
  • Wide bevel (>20mm) and thin behind the edge (slight convex approaching zero grind)
  • Kanji.... worth thinking about....
  • Economy polishing/finish (I'd prefer to save costs here and show it some love!)
  • Economy handle... or maybe a nice simple burnt chestnut with easy to remove installation
... I get the impression that might be niche ;)

The above profile/grind are what I think I like at the moment.... knives that have a sturdy spine but acute primary bevels. In reality, the knives will be limited by what Togashi is willing to forge and what the sharpener is willing to grind....

Last edited:
I doubt this would have much appeal based on cost... but I would be super interested in a 'budget Ashi' as a polishing project. In some ways, Togashi is already close...

My preferences might be:
  • Honyaki with lots of banding
  • Ambivalent about steel but I believe Togashi's Blue #1 has the banding?
  • Nice geometric wave hamon - double hamon or other effects would be a bonus!
  • 240mm length
  • 55-60mm at the heel
  • typical gyuto profile - decent flat spot with a gentle taper up to a mid height tip
  • Middle to heavy weight spine with sanjo-like distal taper - >5mm at the handle rapidly down to 2-3mm for the majority
  • Wide bevel (>20mm) and thin behind the edge (slight convex approaching zero grind)
  • Kanji.... worth thinking about....
  • Economy polishing/finish (I'd prefer to save costs here and show it some love!)
  • Economy handle... or maybe a nice simple burnt chestnut with easy to remove installation
... I get the impression that might be niche ;)

The above profile/grind are what I think I like at the moment.... knives that have a sturdy spine but acute primary bevels. In reality, the knives will be limited by what Togashi is willing to forge and what the sharpener is willing to grind....

just as an FYI, I myself talked with Evan about acquiring a blue steel Togashi honyaki and from what he told me I do not think we would be able to line up 5-6 much less 10 of them. just getting one was not so clear.

but Fishman can probably confirm the details of that more readily.

just as an FYI, I myself talked with Evan about acquiring a blue steel Togashi honyaki and from what he told me I do not think we would be able to line up 5-6 much less 10 of them. just getting one was not so clear.

but Fishman can probably confirm the details of that more readily.

I was told that Togashi had a minimum order of 6 knives for custom orders. Now whether that number changes in regards to Honyaki or not, I don’t know. I just assumed Honyaki were off the table for customs because of the logistics and failure rates involved.

I was told that Togashi had a minimum order of 6 knives for custom orders. Now whether that number changes in regards to Honyaki or not, I don’t know. I just assumed Honyaki were off the table for customs because of the logistics and failure rates involved.

It would be worth asking!

Given it is one of his specialties, maybe it is possible?? I just assume they would be off the table (or unlikely) for the group due to cost!!

mr. togashi seems to really want to make something special when it comes to the customs.

What interests me and what interests Togashi-san are likely to be two very different things ;) .... but a honyaki with a nice hamon and banding seems pretty special to me. I would very much enjoy a tall, middle-to-heavy-weight with a wicked edge... I am not so sure that is common? It would be an 'end-game' knife for me... I have never thrown that much cash at a tool...

Like I said, I would be very interested if we could save some cash by skimping on the polish and handle. I think it would be tremendously satisfying to do that part. So long as the fundamentals are perfect, it would be a memorable project. Though I recognise the appetite for honyaki might be low... the appetite for a diamond in the rough is likely to be even lower 😟

I‘d be interested.

Preferences are:

54+,
not longer than 240,

I have his Blue 1 Honyaki and it’s a fabulous knife. However, it’s more a laser than a wh. Also the Ziricote wa handle has a diameter which is too small and I have small hands, so be careful.

if we could get Tosa as sharpener, I’m in for sure.

So true about the Zircote handle - I sold a couple of knives from K&S because the handles were so narrow

My Togashi-Tosa blue 1 Honyaki, also from KNS, is hefty - not a laser at all. I think it’s around 220-230 gm, don’t remember

I have two other Togashi Tosa blue 1 (Aoki Hamono) and they are also hefty - 250 gm

But the sharpener becomes key - an elite sharpener would seal the deal for all of us

Here are a couple of shots. I’d have to take the patina off to show the banding. It weighs 197 grams. This one is from Evan.
7DBA15A2-8CC4-4B6A-A44F-E790455A33E1.jpeg
CEDA7AF9-E07F-46C7-A857-071A55E6D73C.jpeg
A401D3B0-332F-4E7F-A7F7-BFF9060EB191.jpeg
3E97E513-7C54-41F4-8ED9-E6E210F229AB.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm a newbie too, and will defer to the experts here on specifics, but I went ahead and liked several posts whose specs appealed to me. Receiver's comments (quoted below) cover me pretty well, except I'm flexible on finish though I prefer kasumi. Also, prefer some convexity in the grind. If we can get something along these lines in the 600 to 700 ish range, I'm likely in. A great sharpener will whet the appetite further :)

Receiver wrote:
54+,
not longer than 240,

Thanks for looking into this!

Hey guys,

I’ve had some personal issues arise with my family that need my undivided attention, so I can no longer spearhead this project at this moment. Two options we can explore are:

A) put this project on hold until later this year

Or

B) one of you can take the reigns and keep the process chugging along

It’s still very early on, so I’m fine with either option. If anyone is interested in option B, please drop me a DM and I can get you on the email chain with Evan. Thanks for understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Nick

Hi everyone,

I'm pinch-hitting for Nick on this and just contacted Strata Cutlery to confirm a few things regarding options. Can I get everyone interested to "like" this post to confirm that they're interested in the custom Togashi gyuto project, so that we can get a head count moving forward?

So far, consensus seems to be:

--aogami #1 steel
--255 "Sakai" gyuto with approximately 240mm edge
--minimum 54mm heel
--wide bevel
--slightly thicker spine/more convexity
--ziricote handle w/horn ferrule, preferably in full "Hitohira" octagonal rather than the smaller Khii size

I've inquired if we can mix/match steels if all else is equal and will report back.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm pinch-hitting for Nick on this and just contacted Evan to confirm a few things regarding options. Can I get everyone interested to "like" this post to confirm that they're interested in the custom Togashi gyuto project, so that we can get a head count moving forward?

--aogami #1 steel
--minimum 54mm heel
--wide bevel
--ziricote handle w/horn ferrule, preferably in full "Hitohira" octagonal rather than the smaller Khii size

I've inquired if we can mix/match steels if all else is equal and will report back.

I’d be interested in something like that

Hey guys,

I’ve had some personal issues arise with my family that need my undivided attention, so I can no longer spearhead this project at this moment. Two options we can explore are:

A) put this project on hold until later this year

Or

B) one of you can take the reigns and keep the process chugging along

It’s still very early on, so I’m fine with either option. If anyone is interested in option B, please drop me a DM and I can get you on the email chain with Evan. Thanks for understanding and sorry for the inconvenience.

Nick

All the best @FishmanDE 🤞

I hope it is not too concerning!

Hi everyone,

I'm pinch-hitting for Nick on this and just contacted Strata Cutlery to confirm a few things regarding options. Can I get everyone interested to "like" this post to confirm that they're interested in the custom Togashi gyuto project, so that we can get a head count moving forward?

--aogami #1 steel
--minimum 54mm heel
--wide bevel

I'd be keen to know if honyaki is a dead end. I don't want to steer the group momentum off course.

Hi everyone,

--aogami #1 steel
--minimum 54mm heel
--wide bevel

I think it's worth clarifying with folks whether they want a 240 edge length or 240 handle to tip, as that's how Togashi normally measures. A 225x54+ sounds kind of unwieldy to me, a 240 or 250 with that heigh sounds just about right.

JMO

I think it's worth clarifying with folks whether they want a 240 edge length or 240 handle to tip, as that's how Togashi normally measures. A 225x54+ sounds kind of unwieldy to me, a 240 or 250 with that heigh sounds just about right.

JMO

That’s a good call. I’ll edit above. 255 handle-to-edge would be sweet.

My original idea was a true 240 by edge length. 250 edge length doesn’t sound too bad either, but I’d personally prefer 56ish height at the heel for that length

I have a Togashi-Tosa Honyaki in blue 1, and it comes in at over $1,000-$1,200

I think that will be cost prohibitive

Back