Custom Togashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My personal preference, for what it's worth, is Blue #2 with iron cladding and wide bevels. That both fills a niche that's missing in my gyuto collection and would make for a no-nonsense workhorse that would balance ease of maintenance with durability and edge retention. I also think of Kenya Togashi's wide bevel grind as something of a "signature" of his.

I voted on the grind and cladding but don’t care which steel so left that out.

Just for the sake of clarity, true edge length will be 240mm?

As for heel height, I think we should vote on heel height as well, “at least 54mm” is vague and some people, including myself would like it taller, say 56mm.

It looks like we have a clear majority for iron cladding. Since we're even on Blue #1 vs Blue #2, I'm going to submit the following specs to Evan at Strata and try to get quotes for each.

Steel: Blue #1 or Blue #2
Cladding: Iron
Grind: convex wide bevel
Finish: Migaki
Handle: full-size ziricote
Dimensions: "true" 240 with a 55-56mm heel
Geometry: "workhorse" with a spine width at handle of greater than 3mm and a significant taper

Expect an "in" post over the weekend. We need to get to six to get this made.

It looks like we have a clear majority for iron cladding. Since we're even on Blue #1 vs Blue #2, I'm going to submit the following specs to Evan at Strata and try to get quotes for each.

Steel: Blue #1 or Blue #2
Geometry: "workhorse" with a spine width at handle of greater than 3mm and a significant taper

Expect an "in" post over the weekend. We need to get to six to get this made.

🤗🤗🤗

Sounds great.

This is a very rare opportunity indeed, I don’t think it’s possible to find a wide bevel gyuto with these dimensions anywhere else, forged by one of the best in the game no less!

EE1E559F-F1BA-4AFC-A807-C448D865AFB7.jpeg
01726091-3C58-47C8-B429-4B05DA8C667A.jpeg
This (as pictured) blade with a mirror finish

https://kitchintools.com/collections/gyuto/products/aaa-090bsmd-63-fa240

Another option is to go more the Shoichi route with wrought iron cladding and Damascus core

Flat bevel stone finished

No handle drops the price and allows everyone to handle their own knife which is very easy to do

Last edited:
I just heard back from Evan at Strata. Our order is possible with all the specifications we chose, BUT Togashi is no longer accepting custom orders for Blue #1. In some ways, that's good news, because it simplifies our choices.

Here are our specs:

Steel: Blue #2

Price estimate is $550-$650; we won't know exactly until Hitohira accepts the order. Delivery time is 3-6 months.

If you want to join this custom group buy, please "like" this post by Monday at midnight. We need six firm commitments.

Maybe make an order from Tanaka for those that want B1 or Super. He does a lot of damascus maybe he would do wrought iron cladding?

I’m not sure if he has ever done a damascus core?

I just heard back from Evan at Strata. Our order is possible with all the specifications we chose, BUT Togashi is no longer accepting custom orders for Blue #1. In some ways, that's good news, because it simplifies our choices.

Here are our specs:

Steel: Blue #2

Price estimate is $550-$650; we won't know exactly until Hitohira accepts the order. Delivery time is 3-6 months.

If you want to join this custom group buy, please "like" this post by Monday at midnight. We need six firm commitments.

when is payment due?

Good question--payment is due when the knives arrive at Strata. That said, those who commit to a knife should not back out.

fair enough. with a 3 month estimated ETA (yes using estimated twice since timelines in 2021 lol) window it's a lot easier to commit if it's when the knives show up.

bummer stainless didnt win but the price is right either way.

These will be sharpened by Kenya Togashi. Evan believed (rightly, I think) that asking for a different sharpener would be perceived by both father and son Togashi as an implied insult to the son's sharpening skill and probably torpedo our order.
Straight up. Fully agreed

He (Kenya) is also really good

So we just got some bad news from Evan at Strata. He's heard back from Hitohira, and they're excited to make this order but, given the workload of Togashi and his son, the timetable might be more like 10-12 months.

I still think this is an outstanding knife project and I'm willing to wait for delivery; in fact, the delay helps me space out funding my knife projects. That said, I understand that some may want to drop.

If you're definitely interested, we need a final headcount by Wednesday of this week. Please reply to this thread with the message "in;" that way, I know who to contact to put into touch with Strata for final order confirmation.

Thanks for your patience as we wrap this up.

So we just got some bad news from Evan at Strata. He's heard back from Hitohira, and they're excited to make this order but, given the workload of Togashi and his son, the timetable might be more like 10-12 months.

I still think this is an outstanding knife project and I'm willing to wait for delivery; in fact, the delay helps me space out funding my knife projects. That said, I understand that some may want to drop.

If you're definitely interested, we need a final headcount by Wednesday of this week. Please reply to this thread with the message "in;" that way, I know who to contact to put into touch with Strata for final order confirmation.

In

Quandry! I was 100% out given a three tor four month delivery window but 10 to 12 months is more tempting. While this buy doesn't pefrectly hit my personal preferences it comes much closer than what is generally offered from Togashi. I'll decide one way or the other by Wednesday.

In

not to call my own shot, but this doesnt surprise me even a little bit. every timeline for everything is messed up right now. 12 months seems reasonable to me given the obligations the Togashis probably already to deliver knives.

Sorry late to this thread.

Can I confirm... this is something like a $150 premium over other Togashi knives (and a small premium over Hitohira Togashi knives) for a "true" 240 blade, taller 55mm heel and thicker spine (and a heavier knife)? Are there any Togashi "workhorse" series with thicker spines out there, or is this only available custom?

Sorry late to this thread.

Can I confirm... this is something like a $150 premium over other Togashi knives (and a small premium over Hitohira Togashi knives) for a "true" 240 blade, taller 55mm heel and thicker spine (and a heavier knife)? Are there any Togashi "workhorse" series with thicker spines out there, or is this only available custom?

I think you described it perfectly--we are essentially paying for both a heel height and a grind that Togashi doesn't provide in any of his off-the-shelf lines.

In. Sounds like quite a premium but not something the typical Japanese retailer will carry. Happy to support and I still have the good vibes from the last knife you sold me.

Back