Cut through nail

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut off a slice off the nail on my left index finger last year, and I suspect some meat, too. It hurt like hell as the knife wasn't too sharp (240mm Tojiro DP with OOTB edge). Caused by stubborn strips of bellpeppers that wouldn't stay flat on the board, and seduced me to use an improper bear claw, with the wrist held low ...

I've done it loads of times (removed fingernails).

I've got 2 gyuto which get used often and they have very different personalities.

One (Mizuno) is like a Masamune sword, it cuts everything I want to cut but it doesn't want to cut me; there's been lots of times when I thought I'd cut myself but it's never actually drawn blood.

The other (Marko) is like a Muramasa, it's an even better cutter, but it cuts me if I look at it wrong; it's cut me while washing it, drying it and in almost every imaginable cutting motion. The cuts it makes are so clean though that they usually reseal almost as good as new so it's only really a problem when I lose a nail.

I've only done it once (removed fingernails), but I got 2 with one swipe and not a really sharp knife either, Tojiro DP.
The most terrifying one was when the blade (a Tanaka blue 2) bounced on a cork as I tried to deburr holding the cork in my hand. Since then I deburr only with the cork on the board.

It was about time I have something worthy of posting lol :viking:
FF094B43-69CA-4D2F-B8F9-62DEF9D6DA8A_zps9giv63n6.jpg

3441E308-8B73-45C4-B60D-E24EEF8BB97D_zpsff9juajr.jpg

It's hard to see but the cut is a good distabce up into the nail

tj !? did you do that with a knife? looks like you got the top and the nail with perpendicular cuts?
I've done it loads of times (removed fingernails).

I've got 2 gyuto which get used often and they have very different personalities.

One (Mizuno) is like a Masamune sword, it cuts everything I want to cut but it doesn't want to cut me; there's been lots of times when I thought I'd cut myself but it's never actually drawn blood.

The other (Marko) is like a Muramasa, it's an even better cutter, but it cuts me if I look at it wrong; it's cut me while washing it, drying it and in almost every imaginable cutting motion. The cuts it makes are so clean though that they usually reseal almost as good as new so it's only really a problem when I lose a nail.

hey that's a really good analogy (masamune muramasa). I like it!

tj !? did you do that with a knife? looks like you got the top and the nail with perpendicular cuts?

Yep, my Takamura R2 150mm petty is by far the most blood thirsty knife I have. It was all one botched motion while washing; next time it can fall lol. I kinda dropped it but thanks to my cat like reflexes managed to catch the handle with my left hand almost instantly, but then continued bringing my right hand towards it. I also got my thumb but not as bad, tip of my finger between the cut and nail is pale and numb.

I called that health links # and they said I should actually go to the ER, so five hours shot in the middle of the night and yet no stitches. Pics were taken at VGH before/after cleanup

Yep, my Takamura R2 150mm petty is by far the most blood thirsty knife I have. It was all one botched motion while washing; next time it can fall lol. I kinda dropped it but thanks to my cat like reflexes managed to catch the handle with my left hand almost instantly, but then continued bringing my right hand towards it. I also got my thumb but not as bad, tip of my finger between the cut and nail is pale and numb.

I called that health links # and they said I should actually go to the ER, so five hours shot in the middle of the night and yet no stitches. Pics were taken at VGH before/after cleanup

Did you just do that?

Nope it happened Saturday evening, Pics were from about 3-4AM earlier today. Couldn't get a good pic at the time because it wouldn't stop bleeding, plus the priority was to get it dealt with.

blech. Yeah I have always had the presence of mind to just let it drop honestly, I would take just about anything over a cut hand.

Re: health links, I have always been advised against hospital trips for fairly simple cuts (no tendon involved, so essentially fingertip cuts) it is best to just patch it up yourself. Some people use superglue, while I think it's probably non toxic I would advise against that particular remedy. I have cauterized a few on the fly with chemicals or heat, again, would not recommend. Took my fingertip off on a meat slicer one time, just 2mm off the tip so no need for hospital.

Anything past the fingertip is dangerous because if tendons are involved you can eventually ruin your other fingers by not going to hospital. You will know when you catch a tendon though, I have been pretty lucky over these 9 years. Such an injury will require surgery and potentially some therapy (usually hand exercises to be done at home). I have seen one guy leave a tendon cut and ended up having to have 2 fingers amputated several years later when his hand began to permaclaw. Horrific.

It was about time I have something worthy of posting lol :viking:
It's hard to see but the cut is a good distabce up into the nail

Lol, only on KKF would someone say "it's about time I lacerated my finger!" Wow, you really did a number on it there. Oh well, the fingertip will heal - the tip of the knife wouldn't have. I've always heard that really sharp knives don't hurt as much but that hasn't been my experience.....I bet that smarted a bit.

Back