Cuting test challenge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that sharpener has whittled his chef knife down to a petty knife!! :D

Not really, I use the small Zwilling for about 30 years, but that fancy Dick Rapid device was only for testing, works well for people not interested to learn sharpening.

The knife has lost maybe 1mm in 30 years, sharpend with lots of different things, but with 1k once a year and fine steeling works pretty well, even my wife was not able to destroy it :D

Regards

Uwe

I really got into straight razor shaving 2012/2013 - purchasing and sharpening knives 2014 . I remember getting a straight razor edge on my knives.
Here i shave my face with a Denka

I seem to remember there’s someone on KKF who’s legally blind.

Anyone willing to try that vid but with an onion dice, including horizontal cuts? I may try later if I get drunk enough.
As a chef, that video does not seem impressive to me. As long as your knife is on your knuckle it is safe if you see it or not. It’s really about if you feel safe or not. It might seem scary until you realized its 100% under control.

for onions you need sharpness for the first cut, when the onion ist peeled a thin tip is more important than sharpness ;)

Regards

Uwe

As a chef, that video does not seem impressive to me. As long as your knife is on your knuckle it is safe if you see it or not. It’s really about if you feel safe or not. It might seem scary until you realized its 100% under control.

Same reaction here. But I feel like I use my eyes when I do horizontal cuts. At least, I’d be a little apprehensive of doing the following things blindfolded:

1) fast horizontal tip sweeps through onions,
2) that thing where you horizontally cut a bunch of cherry tomatoes at once while holding your hand on top of them.

That said, I haven't tried! So prepare yourself for a video at some point. I'll see how fast I can do these things blindfolded without cutting myself.

Btw, thanks @Julian for an awesomely entertaining thread. ;)

Last edited:
Same reaction here. But I feel like I use my eyes when I do horizontal cuts. At least, I’d be a little apprehensive of doing that thing blindfolded where you horizontally cut a bunch of cherry tomatoes at once while holding your hand on top of them.

The horizontal cuts are easy to do blind if you turn the oven on it's end so they are vertical cuts too. This wasn't blind but it wouldn't be difficult for me to do blind.

I will do a receipt when I get home. I think I have some extra thin rolling papers that might be even tougher.

The horizontal cuts are easy to do blind if you turn the oven on it's end so they are vertical cuts too. This wasn't blind but it wouldn't be difficult for me to do blind.

True, but that's cheating, since then they're not horizontal cuts. :)

You may argue that it's more efficient to do it that way if blindfolded. I would argue that it's more efficient to take off the blindfold. ;)

Last edited:
@DitmasPork, if you liked that one...

[/MEDIA]

3C3P8zu.jpg

Nice . What do you do with the trim?

This is basically boneless short ribs. We braise them for buffets. You have to trim it hard or else it's very greasy. We save whatever lean we can and use it for employee cafeteria tacos. There's not a whole lot we can do with the pure fat. In the old days you would use it for your fryer shortening or to cook your hash browns in. Nowadays all of that needs to be vegetarian (and make sure it's gluten free too). I would pay a meat vendor to do it happily. But they want too much money and never process it as nice as we need. So my little ginga gets a lot of action.

This is basically boneless short ribs. We braise them for buffets. You have to trim it hard or else it's very greasy. We save whatever lean we can and use it for employee cafeteria tacos. There's not a whole lot we can do with the pure fat. In the old days you would use it for your fryer shortening or to cook your hash browns in. Nowadays all of that needs to be vegetarian (and make sure it's gluten free too). I would pay a meat vendor to do it happily. But they want too much money and never process it as nice as we need. So my little ginga gets a lot of action.
Too bad the frying oil needs to be vegetarian. French fries cooked up in beef fat are awesome.

It's easy enough to sharpen the heck out of most knives and literally split hairs or soaked tissue or whatever. Challenges like this arise everywhere so been there, done that. Sharpening as a sport I don't think to be that common amongst chefs though. They have slightly different goals. I've started with the idea of getting an edge as sharp as possible that would withstand tasks in a pro working environment. And while that edge ended up being sharper than imagined (since most people told me would not be possible), in general it's never the sharpest obtainable edge. This is my working edge right now (800 grit done about a week ago, as an experiment), nothing special, bit rough. How the heck do people time these gifs? Took me few seconds to find and cut and minutes to (kinda) make it into the time frame. I've also decided to use the most used part of the blade, just to get an idea for myself. I'm not sure if this blade will kill, but looks like it will still cut.

Attachments

• Test.gif
    Test.gif
    175.1 KB · Views: 75
This is my working edge right now (800 grit done about a week ago, as an experiment), nothing special, bit rough. How the heck do people time these gifs? Took me few seconds to find and cut and minutes to (kinda) make it into the time frame. I've also decided to use the most used part of the blade, just to get an idea for myself. I'm not sure if this blade will kill, but looks like it will still cut.

The other day I had to cover breakfast and brunch at my hotel's restaurant. I brought a couple of knives and my Debado 200 in the hopes I might get some sharpening done. However, it ended up being a really busy day. After about fifteen minutes of thinning work on a small vg-10 Gyuto I had to go help the guys on the line. Later our buffet started running low on cut fruit. So I went over and grabbed the 180 Gyuto with the 200 grit edge and a case of pineapple. Talk about toothy. It felt like I was cutting with a serrated scalpel. I might make this my finishing stone for cheap stainless. I was dumbstruck. It turns out I was a little over zealous with the thinning and ended up crushing the edge the last 5 mm or so at the tip after some hard board contact cutting through a dense cheese.

Back