Cutting board for bread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceriano

Reaction score
What type cutting board do you use for slicing bread? I don't want to damage my nicer boards and I feel plastic is too rough on the knives. I get about 4 to 6 months out of my mercers cutting on hard plastic boards.

Bread knives can do a lot of damage... no point doing that to a nice board!

If it is a soft bread, I use one of my knives on my regular cutting board. It it is a crusty loaf, I use a cheap bread knife on a cheap plastic cutting board.

:)

What type cutting board do you use for slicing bread? I don't want to damage my nicer boards and I feel plastic is too rough on the knives. I get about 4 to 6 months out of my mercers cutting on hard plastic boards.
I use my old edge grain boards that I don't use for anything else, the one I use the most has a groove worn into it from the bread knife's work.

Cheap Martha Stewart bamboo board comes out for bread duty—ain’t ever using a bread knife on the Hasegawa.

One of these. Great for catching crumbs and no worries using a bread knife
Unknown.jpeg

I‘ve got one of those epic-edge wood composite boards (with grooves like above) reserved for use on the rare time I use a bread knife.

Awful hard things - apparently they started as byproduct from a skateboard ramp manufacturer - that have the dubious benefit of being able to go in the dishwasher.

Thankfully that means the underside of that bread board gets used to batter Milanese and escalopes out - I’ve stupidly dinged a few too many indentations in more expensive end grain boards before.

In Finland we are rocking these drawer bread cutting boards :) yes the whole thing can be drawn out for cleaning.

20210331_155007.jpg

I have a big, (relatively) cheap teak cutting board that I'm probably going to give away to a friend one of these days. I just use that when I have to cut something crusty... though for the sake of the next guy, I try to be a little careful at least. Otherwise for cutting bread, it's a $5 plastic board for me...

Back