Cutting board

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts on an affordable, lighter board somewhere around 15" x 10" in size? Just looking for something that's light enough for my wife to pull out and use regularly, already have a large walnut butcher's block.

I was thinking a hinoki board might fit the bill, but how heavy/light would something like a Hi Soft be in comparison? (Also, Hi Soft or Sani Tuff?) Are there better hinoki options than the Shun boards?

Hinoki will be lighter than a Hi-Soft board of equivalent size. Hinoki does have a couple significant flaws IMO it both stains easily and tends to absorb odors readily. Wetting the board before each uses reduces but does not eliminate these issues. Hi-Soft will also stain but less so than Hinoki IMO. The 15.4" x 10.2" Hasegawa is currently oos at MTC Kitchen but they do have this smaller size https://www.mtckitchen.com/hasegawa-wood-core-soft-rubber-cutting-board-13-4-x-9-1-x-0-8-ht/ available and their sale continues through the 16th. I haven't personally used a Hasegawa but they should be lighter than a Hi-Soft. I'm considering purchasing this top layer sheet https://www.mtckitchen.com/nsf-soft-rubber-cutting-board-23-5-x-11-8/ without the wood core, to use on top of plastic boards.

mc2442 said:
I have flashbacks of Q-Bert looking at them.
You have flashbacks about ME? Have we met?? Back before my unfortunate accidental fall, perhaps??? All I can remember from before the accident is some weird synthesizer sounds and hopping, for some reason.

upload_2019-12-8_20-37-46.jpeg

wow those look great! my biggest gripe with hi-soft is it bends/warps.

How large is your Hi-Soft? I have the 15.75"(40cm) x 11.5"(29.2cm ) from Korin and, so far, it has remained quite flat. I understand that the larger Hi-Soft boards tend to sag if unsupported but mine is small enough to be quite rigid for carrying. I hand wash all my boards rather than running through the dishwasher.
The black polyethylene boards from Korin interest me as they are said to be relatively soft. I may try one in the future. I have owned softer plastic boards in the past but both my current plastic boards, an OXO and a San Jamar with the molded-in hook, are quite hard and noticeably less kind to edges than the Hi-Soft or end grain cherry.
I remain curious about both the Hasegawas with the wood core and those that are only the thin surface mat part but I wonder about their durability. You can sand down the Hi-Soft if it becomes discolored and cut up but the Hasegawas don't give you much depth to work with.

I’m looking pretty hard at this one for the house. Could somebody do better job of spending my $150 better than me? Is there a better deal out there?

Maple End Grain Chopping Block 20 x 15 x 3 1/2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009OWEE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.rY4Db93ZXE98
I’m just going to get a board Smith. The dark cherry sounds good. Too many positive reviews and fans of the product, plus the plastic legs make a lot of sense.

Meant to reply to this earlier... The Michigan maple are nice (I've had a few), though the maple can be a little hit or miss in terms of what ends up in the block--a lot of diversity. Still, IMO a better product than Boos. A couple things to think about--first, the Michigan maple blocks use square endgrain, which means more glue joints, and the endgrain is not alternated but random, so it'll be slightly less dimensionally stable; second, these things are 3.5" tall. I'm not sure how tall you are, but adding 3.5" to a counter top can make a difference. For me the extra height was great, but I'm tall.

So you're right, all roads lead to Boardsmith, and for a few reasons... First, the boards use rectangle engrain, so less glue joints. Second, they alternate the endgrain, so more dimensional stability than random. Third, they're not super tall. Fourth, cherry! (A cherry from Boardsmith will be the next board I get. Slightly softer than maple.)

I ended up going with the Konosuke hinoki board from Bernal Cutlery, the other options were just a bit too pricey for what I'm looking for right now. Thanks for the suggestions though, everyone!

Is this 18 X 12? Do you find that size sufficient?

Post a pic of your kitchen work area that the cutting board will be used!

Sure a big board is cool, but really depends on your space, budget and prep habits. Here's my entire countertop, with a 17.3" x 11.4" Hasegawa—the left edge of board is only a couple inches from the sink; need the space behind board for knives/tools/ingredients, etc.; remaining space on right used for prep bowls, etc. I've comfortably used 270s and a 360 on this board—one doesn't use the entire blade length at the same time—and I'm not doing whole tuna or huge turkeys.

For me, and my space, I'd not want a much bigger board. This board also fits flat in the sink for washing.

811D75A2-2FAF-452A-AD98-F705DB8A62C9.jpeg

Sure a big board is cool, but really depends on your space, budget and prep habits. Here's my entire countertop, with a 17.3" x 11.4" Hasegawa—the left edge of board is only a couple inches from the sink; need the space behind board for knives/tools/ingredients, etc.; remaining space on right used for prep bowls, etc. I've comfortably used 270s and a 360 on this board—one doesn't use the entire blade length at the same time—and I'm not doing whole tuna or huge turkeys.

For me, and my space, I'd not want a much bigger board. This board also fits flat in the sink for washing.

View attachment 121155
Space is not an issue. 18x12 will fit in the sink. 16x22 will be too wide. I think my hinoki board is 16x12. I’ll try that with the 270 gyuto if it doesn’t feel too small I’ll go with 18x12.

Herself has made another dozen or more cutting boards since I posted here last. 2 more batches of the optical illusion patterned ones as above. I was naughty and did not get one for Christmas.

After New Years, she took a bunch of her SCRAPS and made ME two boards:

End grain cutting board approx. 1.5" thick 13" X 17". Cherry, black walnut, sugar maple, yellow heart and purple heart:

20210403_163204.jpg

Bread/pastry board approx. .75" thick X 17" X 25". Cherry, walnut, white ash and maple:

20210403_163458.jpg

Leftovers are A-OK!

Last edited:

View attachment 121155
No after pics of the silkie?!
Did you do the ginseng/etc for the soup? (Around me, the markets that sell silkies sell a pre-pack whole spice mix right next to them (ginseng, dried shrooms, spices, a certain fungus I think (?), etc.)

View attachment 121155
Awww, I couldn't
Unknown.jpeg

No after pics of the silkie?!
Did you do the ginseng/etc for the soup? (Around me, the markets that sell silkies sell a pre-pack whole spice mix right next to them (ginseng, dried shrooms, spices, a certain fungus I think (?), etc.)
Used a bunch spices in the soup—referenced a few recipes! Breaking down silkie a cool experience, bones are rock hard compared to regular chicken.

This silkie raised for food, no different than farmed ducks, cattle, pigs, etc. Just chicken soup. You should try it sometime!

Cutting board is a Hasegawa Wood Core Soft Rubber Cutting Board 17.3" x 11.4" x 0.8"—probably one of my best kitchen investments.

9BEB7515-89DC-4DC1-86D2-1094A3D55AD5.jpeg

83C9AD09-4F2A-4670-ACFE-5150FBDBDA5C.jpeg

B8AD5427-B6C1-4CAA-B244-2C7F2CDA1EA5 copy.jpeg

Used a bunch spices in the soup—referenced a few recipes! Breaking down silkie a cool experience, bones are rock hard compared to regular chicken.

This silkie raised for food, no different than farmed ducks, cattle, pigs, etc. Just chicken soup. You should try it sometime!

Cutting board is a Hasegawa Wood Core Soft Rubber Cutting Board 17.3" x 11.4" x 0.8"—probably one of my best kitchen investments.

View attachment 121262
View attachment 121263
View attachment 121264

Wow this made me salivate, I love the broth from all those herbs and spices with the silky.
You also have a fresh silky! The meat is much chewier than the frozen ones.

I usually ball up a clump of sticky rice and place it in the center, eat it as I eat the silky.
Looks really good, thanks for sharing!

Did you also get that plate from Korin? I was thinking about getting the same thing, love the contrast on it.

I've been using Yoshihiro X-Large lately. My counter is pretty big so I ended up buying two that abut together if I need more cutting space. They do tend to stain so it takes a little work to keep them clean. Seriously thinking about moving to a Boardsmith soon as I do miss a wood board.

I've been using Yoshihiro X-Large lately. My counter is pretty big so I ended up buying two that abut together if I need more cutting space. They do tend to stain so it takes a little work to keep them clean. Seriously thinking about moving to a Boardsmith soon as I do miss a wood board.

Do you have blue one ?

Latest posts

Back