Cutting Boards and Magnetic Strips

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be interested in both a board and a wall strip, especially the wall strip. I would enjoy a makers mark somewhere but honestly don't see a metal emblem as a step up, burn in logo is just as good. Face without screws would be preferred if its still simple to mount. Don't know how many magnets it would take but it'd be awesome to display some of my Betty cleavers and my 270mm deba (probably about 1.5-2lbs) currently with you so I can't weight it. I'm eager to see what you come up with and glad someone has stepped up to make magnetic knife strips as it seem one of the few things we are lacking on this forum, now if only someone will start making knife blocks again.

I have ordered hardware, so as soon as I receive it, I will experiment. The intention is to have the block securely attached and flush against the wall. It would be easier to do this with through-screws, but hidden/recessed hardware should work as well.

@Will, blocks will come at some point, probably wall-mount before free standing, but one step at the time now. Those are slightly more complex, and I just don't have time/don't want to deal with them right now. Even little things can consume a lot of my time and I do enjoy tweaking things, sometimes without end in sight. :)

Ultimately, I would like to offer a whole line of accessories, to accompany my knives, made to my liking, but with a lot of input from the end users.

Ultimately, I would like to offer a whole line of accessories...

Ultimately, I would like to fill my future kitchen with your knives and accessories!

I second/third the idea of your maker's mark on the side edge (brass coin or burn-in) of both the board and magnet block. A hidden mount with some sort of easy-to-remove-and-clean feature would be my preference. I can imagine a thin mounting bracket for the block to lock onto the screw heads.

... A hidden mount with some sort of easy-to-remove-and-clean feature would be my preference. I can imagine a thin mounting bracket for the block to lock onto the screw heads.

That's the idea. I would like a strip be flush on the wall, but it should be easily removed for oiling, waxing and buffing.

I have spend an hour this morning walking my dog and thinking of magnetic strips, and got an interesting idea for design. I am going to keep numb until I make a prototype. The hardware for hidden mount will be here by the end of next week, so you guys will have to arm yourself with patience, or I will have to make a prototype with screws-through mount.

Another thing I was thinking about is to make dedicated strips for heavier knives. It's hard to find a common denominator magnetic pull for 500g and 200g knives. The right pull for heavier knives will be too strong for regular weight, and this has been a complain about some of the blocks on the market. I am going to think a little more about it, but I am strongly leaning to either making a separate strip with a stronger pull, or have a part of a strip have a stronger pull for heaving knives and part for regular weight knives. If a strip has screws-through mount, then there will be a middle screw/s that will indicate separation between these two sections. With hidden mount, I will have to come up with some visual indicator.

Keep those surveys coming! I have been adding new fields to them as surveys pored in.

Board Survey Form
http://www.tsourkanknives.com/index.php/accessories/end-grain-cuttinb-boards-survey

Magnetic Strip Survey Form
http://www.tsourkanknives.com/index.php/accessories/stock-wooden-magnetic-strip-survey

This may be over simplifying your connection problem, but....

Since the magnetic strip already has a magnet in it, would another wall mounted magnet be enough to hold the strip with knives in place?

Those links are not working for me, from any device. 404 error?

Maybe just me, I an not really computer savy.

This may be over simplifying your connection problem, but....

Since the magnetic strip already has a magnet in it, would another wall mounted magnet be enough to hold the strip with knives in place?

I considered suggesting this too, but then there is the potential for pulling off the entire rack, unless it is sleeved in, in which case there is no need to spend on extra magnets. I've heard of Ikea-hacks where people just glued two racks together magnet-side out and magnetically mount the whole contraption because they couldn't drill (link).

The strip will be mounted with screws, either with screws-through the strip or on a hidden mounting hardware on the back of the strip.
In either case, there will be anchors in the wall. I don't have a solution for hanging a strip over tiled surface, except drilling and anchoring. I would not recommend a sticky tape, regardless the strength or manufacturer's recommendation.

M

I was asked today if a strip could be mounted vertically and knives stored horizontally.

There are couple of issues that need to be taking into consideration - gravity and overlapping magnetic fields from multiple magnets that can cause rotation. One way to work around them is to embed steps for individual knives similar to guitar fretboard. They don't need to protrude much, maybe 3/16" at most, but it would be enough to keep the knives in place and prevent from occasional turning (I can see contrast wood as a good choice). The strip mounted vertically has to be a bit wider too and magnetic pull stronger (or magnet layout differently) so occasional bumping wont knock out the knife off the strip.

I am sort of lukewarm to the idea of making this type, but am throwing it out in the open. What do you guys think of the idea?

M

So I made a magnetic strip, I think it was 22" of magnetic area. I used Birdseye maple that when oiled lit up and showed some underlying burly grain figure. There a small spalted area as well.

I know you are asking where are the pictures?, but a friend stopped by and left with it. I still have some more of the material, so a smaller (around 20") and a larger (36") strips are coming soon.

M

Is the survey over? I was going to offer my input :)

It' s never over. Nothing is written in stone. No good ideas will ever be refused.

Sorry, Marko, I should have been more specific. The links to the survey in the first post are returning 404 errors, which is why I thought it was over.

Now that I finalized designes of two wall-mount magnetic strips, I would like to turn my attention to a design of a free-standing countertop blocks. I am thinking of starting with a magnetic block, and at some later time to come add a traditional block that has slots.

I personally give preference for magnetic over slotted designs, for two reasons. Fist, magnetic blocks are typically less complex. Second, in the past, I had some carbon knives rust on me while oiled and stored in sayas, so I think I would prefer a visual check periodically for signs of trouble. And it goes without saying that magnetic blocks will do a better job at displaying your knives.

There are many designs out there, but this particular one appeals to me. Obviously, I won't copy it, but I like the concept and the simplicity of this block. (Knives on this one are stored tips up, so the recess is for handles) A style like that would go along well with my knives and other products.

Any suggestions for alternative designs? As always, thank you. Oh, forgot to add that countertop magnetic block wold be be made out of American Black walnut, my favorite wood.

26600.jpg

M

Marko, this counter-top magnetic block is exactly what I'm looking for! when I can purchase one??

I shy away from slotted knife blocks -- hard to clean if anything gets caught in there. They make for nice enclosed damp environments.

An alternative design I've been kicking around, which will require more woodworking than a flat block would be something like a blocky comb. Each 'tooth' would offer 3 surfaces for a blade. The whole thing could be angled out so the handles are more accessible, where the back of the block (which can be another magnetic surface) is tilted and the weight is primarily on the 'teeth', which are triangle slabs. It's not as compact a design as a slotted block, but it doesn't care what size and types of blades you have.

I would like a design that allows to store knives tips up, like in the picture attached in my previous post.

M

I really did the mag-block idea Marko. I think it's especially attractive to those who aren't in permanent dwellings, i.e. rental properties, where you can't nescessarily install a strip, and/ or it'd be a pain to deal with said installation and removing it when you change residences.

I think I came out with a design for a free standing (with optional wall attachment) hardware block. I think to be 100% sure that you don't tip it, attaching it to the wall with hardware or double-sided tape would be recommended.

It will be 18" across, the knives will be stored tip up, and it will be made of thick walnut with ebony inlays. The design will be reminiscent of Henckels, but not identical. I have looked at hundreds of designs, and note appealed to me as much as Henckels'. Sometimes, you just can't reinvent a wheel.

I will post the block once I am finished, for your input.

Thanks,

M

I think that's exactly what I've been looking for! hurry...

After thinking about it for a while, I think I came out with a design for a free standing with optional wall attachment hardware block.

It will be 18" across, the knives will be stored tip up, and will be made of walnut with ebony inlays. The design will be reminiscent of Henckels, but not identical. I have looked at hundreds of designs, and note appealed to me as much as Henckels'.

I will post the block once I am finished for your input.

Thanks,

M

I think that's exactly what I've been looking for! hurry...

I have heard that before. :D

I think it will be offered on first come first serve basis. No custom request will taken. Sorry, folks!

I will take all feedback and incorporate it into the future work, but ultimately, I am in the business of making knives. I want to have a line of accessories, but, as it looks now, a guy I wanted to hire is busy with making stairs after hurricane Sandy, and I will have to do all work myself. I won't be able to produce many of the strips, boards and blocks, unfortunately.

M

Cmon! This is such a tease!

I have heard that before. :D

I think it will be offered on first come first serve basis. No custom request will taken. Sorry, folks!

I will take all feedback and incorporate it into the future work, but ultimately, I am in the business of making knives. I want to have a line of accessories, but, as it looks now, a guy I wanted to hire is busy with making stairs after hurricane Sandy, and I will have to do all work myself. I won't be able to produce many of the strips, boards and blocks, unfortunately.

M

I was making light of it, to a degree, but true, there are limits how much I can do. Knives take longest, so sometimes it is good to unwind doing other things, but the wait list is not getting any shorter, and knives are my priority.

I will however try to incorporate preferences for ready-made products.

M

Now that I finalized designes of two wall-mount magnetic strips, I would like to turn my attention to a design of a free-standing countertop blocks. I am thinking of starting with a magnetic block, and at some later time to come add a traditional block that has slots.

I personally give preference for magnetic over slotted designs, for two reasons. Fist, magnetic blocks are typically less complex. Second, in the past, I had some carbon knives rust on me while oiled and stored in sayas, so I think I would prefer a visual check periodically for signs of trouble. And it goes without saying that magnetic blocks will do a better job at displaying your knives.

There are many designs out there, but this particular one appeals to me. Obviously, I won't copy it, but I like the concept and the simplicity of this block. (Knives on this one are stored tips up, so the recess is for handles) A style like that would go along well with my knives and other products.

Any suggestions for alternative designs? As always, thank you. Oh, forgot to add that countertop magnetic block wold be be made out of American Black walnut, my favorite wood.

View attachment 13843

M

Definitely sign me up for that one. My wife and I decided against mag strips hanging on the wall for fear of our kids bumping or accidentally throwing things agaist them. But the counter top solution fits the bill perfectly.

I will make a prototype and you guys tell me what you think. As I said, nothing is written in stone and to come up with a good design from a fist try is a long shot, but collectively, you have helped me a lot with tweaking the products to your preferences, ultimately, making better products.

I would have to price it to the market, as these projects will be competing for time with my knife making.

M

M

Back