[Cutting Boards] End vs. Edge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must admit, I do not have a Boardsmith. I invested in a few very large Boos cherry edge boards and one Boos walnut end grain before I fell down the forum rabbit hole. Already feel I haven't used these nearly enough over the years. Maybe someday, though...

wow, they are quite reasonable, altho I wasn't able to find many bigger boards, most are in the 12-16 inch range
The boards themselfs are not expensive, but I have no idea how much would it cost to ship it to Canada. Within Russia shipping cost me 20$, but I guess it would 2-3 times more expensive for Canada.

The good thing: you can order custom board at no extra price. Just send them email with sizes and materials that you want (and if you really need something special, you could send them image with your custom design) and they'll send you quote.

I did a 60x25x2.25" custom Boos board countertop for our kitchen reno in 2010 in Maple end grain, and it has been a fantastic addition to the space, and a great facilitator for kitchen knife fun for more than one. Now that I am aware of Boardsmith's work, I certainly wish I had been aware of it back when we were planning, but we have been happy with Boos. Definitely still have an itch to try a BS board, and in the event my Boos fails, I know who I am going to call, although I suspect I should start saving now. :) Big fan of BoardSmith's work.

If anyone is considering spending cash on a full counter block, it is a fantastic space to work in a home environ.

Did you see the note on the Boardsmith website that mentioned his seconds at 25% off? You might see what he's got.
And yes i did see this. Pretty cool deal. Have to keep it in mind. He doesnt have anything larger than 18" other than maple right now. Plus, im not sure if i could deal with blemishes from the start that I didn't personally make hah.

Are there any advantages to having a board thicker than 2", other supposedly increasing sturdiness?

My counter top is edge grain maple, made by JK Adams of Vermont. Not sure they still do countertops but have some pretty nice maple and birch edge grain boards. They also sell finished slabs of maple and other hardwood for boards pretty reasonably. I used to cut directly on the counter tops, now it's mats (work great on top of maple top)or boards most of the time after orders from " the management". Boardsmith is my weekend board.

The boards themselfs are not expensive, but I have no idea how much would it cost to ship it to Canada. Within Russia shipping cost me 20$, but I guess it would 2-3 times more expensive for Canada.

I just checked their shipping prices and it appears that the shipping to Canada for the board with dimensions of 400х300х40mm and weight of 3.5Kg is about $40-55 USD. Adding this to the cost of board and assuming they are top notch quality sounds very tempting.

Hey there, I have the Michigan maple end grain 3.5 inch thick board. I have not tried a Boardsmith board and i am sure they are incredible. But the MM board has been great. Easy on the edges, just feels great to cut on, huge and heavy so it doesn't move and water never seems to get under it, and while not a work of art it looks very nice in my opinion. I don't know how to better quantify how pleased I am with it other than to recommend it.

It was 92 dollars on amazon. If I had a budget to get a Boardsmith or other custom board I absolutely would and they are likely far better. But for the money, this thing is awesome, and I'd be shocked if I ever needed another board in my life. Or my kids lives after me.

But man oh man does it suck up the oil.

there are a lot of reasonably price boards on the US amazon. my 20x20x3 maple board is 98 at the moment with free shipping in the US, up here its over 200 lol

there are a lot of reasonably price boards on the US amazon. my 20x20x3 maple board is 98 at the moment with free shipping in the US, up here its over 200 lol

Indeed, Canadian prices are utter BS. And shipping from US to Can is not a joke either. I bet it is going to be similar if not more expensive than from Russia and that's using USPS.

I hated my boos boards. I had an edge grain and bigger end grain. Both came to me severely dry, they both cracked despite proper seasoning and cleaning and the edge grain board warped. I use them for my craft table now.

I don't own a Boardsmith but they are very highly regarded.

I do own several Omni boards ( https://www.etsy.com/shop/OmniButcherBlocks?ref=pr_faveshops ) and all are very beautifully made. Love every one of them. I know spending that kind of money on a hunk of wood can be a bit breathtaking but if you buy one exceptional quality board and take care of it, you will be handing it over to your grand kids one day.

I think the knife edge/cutting board debate is way overblown. I've used everything from edge grain to plastic to bamboo and me and my knives survived just fine. When I decided to buy a new board my knife edges were a very small consideration in my decision to what I was going to buy. I got a BoardSmith board, great board and great looks as well. I bought it more because I could get the size and wood I wanted and could finally afford something really nice. A big reason I chose BoardSmith as apposed to mass production boards was to help a small business man rather than give my money to another corporation. I could have got a board much cheaper off Amazon but I'd rather spend my money with David Smith.

Back