Cutting Knife Skills and Technique Videos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More Corona fish at home (I hesitate a little to post it since I’ve had some bad comments about it, but seriously - and take this from a former fish monger - this is ok, and you can do it too!):

Seems real nice to me. I don't know what hawataritogi is on about. Your cuts look cleaner than his imo. He was fast, though. Almost superhuman, even... seemed like his hands were vibrating or something from all the amphetamines he took. Maybe that's what he meant about you making it difficult for yourself? Working without drugs?

---

I was initially wondering about when you were cutting straight down across the bones. Do you think that would dull the edge faster than if you'd done that at an angle like in his video? Just curious... I have no clue about fileting flatfish.

I was initially wondering about when you were cutting straight down across the bones. Do you think that would dull the edge faster than if you'd done that at an angle like in his video? Just curious... I have no clue about fileting flatfish.

That’s a really good question. I have no answer, but - now that you’ve said it - it seems the answer should be ’yes’. I’m not sure by How much it shortens the life of the edge, but it should contribute to dulling it faster.
I should give the angled approach a shot. Old bad habits die hard.

Reactions: ian
A lot of people scare of fabricating fish and think it’s difficult to do but the principal is actually similar to breaking down a piece of meat where you trying to leave as little flesh on the bone as possible. I think speed is less important and the hardest part is to make the cut precisely and cleanly.
ps. Your average fish monger fish will never be as good as restaurant supply fish so instead of having them fillet the fish for you which I find most of the time they do a **** job anyway, you can buy the fish whole with scale on and practice how to fillet fish yourself.

Thanks man, yes it’s a tsukiji masamoto blue 2 ai Deba I picked up back in 2016 a trip to Tokyo. Really solid choice of Deba I’d say better than my suisin inox honyaki
Aaah, you’re putting ideas into my head now. Maybe I should treat myself with a nice deba some day. So damn good looking. 😁 ☺️👍🏻

Aaah, you’re putting ideas into my head now. Maybe I should treat myself with a nice deba some day. So damn good looking. 😁👍🏻
Go for it you won’t regret it I’m sure. But I would rather get a normal Deba if I can do it again.

Genuine question: is it ok to force the knife into the squash with the other hand like that? I tried to half a pumpkin the other day but found my gyuto just struggled to cut through, always getting stuck in the middle. I just thought my gyuto isn't sharp/thin enough and doing so will damage the knife. Or I just need to push harder through denser stuff?

Genuine question: is it ok to force the knife into the squash with the other hand like that? I tried to half a pumpkin the other day but found my gyuto just struggled to cut through, always getting stuck in the middle. I just thought my gyuto isn't sharp/thin enough and doing so will damage the knife. Or I just need to push harder through denser stuff?
Push harder or slicing. Or a combination of both.

I have never damaged a knife using this technique on veggies. I use it frequently when chopping dense root vegetables like sweet potatoes and squash. I like knives with think spines. They will wedge no matter how thin they are behind the edge if the vegetable is taller than the knife. A little tap on the spine with the heel of your hand pops it open. I do not believe that this is hard on the edge. I think most of the force gets turned into horizontal splitting energy instead like a wedge when you are splitting wood instead of focusing that energy on the knive's apex.

I have damaged knives cutting through bones by slapping the spine. Like when splitting a chicken or cutting the head off of a fish. In these circumstances the problem is not wedging. The problem is the bone is hard and requires more force. The correct procedure to minimize risk of damage to the edge is place the point of the knife on the cutting board. Slowly lower the heel until you begin to feel resistance. Then place your other hand on the spine and lean into it gradually increasing force until the knife does it's thing. I do this in the chicken video above. Most people would not recommend you cut this way with a Japanese gyuto.

Here's another example of a spine slap with a butternut squash.

Stringer, your videos are great. I filmed this a couple days ago... so it's redundant now. My take on carrots, just sharing my basic technique. Mostly a push cut type o guy. Cheapo blade, got as gift, kinda like it though except for the handle. I advise thin-ish knives for carrots (not necessarily lasers tho).

Just wanted to give this post a bump. For some reason, I've never julienned carrots like this. Instead I've always cut the carrots lengthwise into neat strips, then arranged those into neat stacks and cut them oh so carefully. The technique in GreyBoy's post is so much better, as long as you're not trying to create Michelin quality uniformity, which I never am. I do this all the time now. I think technically it may require more total cuts, but it's so much faster. +100

Thanks for posting - I had seen the whacking motion before, but the scoring was new and looks to make it much more effective. Time to buy a pomegranate!
Yeah, I have been told that you should aim for ’the shoulders’ running vertically (you can discern the bumps on the surface of the fruit) and make like four-five cuts that way. If done right, you merely hit the white stuff inside the pomegranate. Then you make that long cut in the middle of the fruit without pushing the knife through (you want to keep as many of the seeds intact as possible). Open and whack! Please go ahead 😁😁😁

just found out that chef Frank has a youtube channel and thought this video with the not as advertised method of onion chopping was interesting:

Interesting idea for small pieces. I tried it and it was easy and fast. The only thing is to leave a small part at the 'back' or verything will fall apart.

I found a video of spineless milkfish belly cutting skills. Interesting fish knives and usage.

Very cool!

Nice to see this thread getting some action too :) … as a newbie here this was one of the early threads I came across and enjoyed going back and reading/watching from the start!

Back