Cutting off a piece of a jnat

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikaelsan

Reaction score
Hey, so after vaguely recall a video on YouTube, I walked into this thinking it would be super simple and quick, but after giving it a go with a hammer and a small chisel I'm not so sure.

Title should be almost self explanatory, I'm trying to cut out a corner of my Tomo nagura, to create a small nagura i would be more comfortable using as an actual nagura.

Have anyone tried this before with simple tools if so what worked for you? I would love to minimise the waste

I realised someway along the way that trying to bang out a piece against the grain of the stone would not really work unless I destroy a large amount of the stone I'm trying to cut out.

I'm not afraid to try out a few things, I'm not using the stone as it is now even anyway

I used a carbide hacksaw on an ohira uchigumori because the base wasn’t flat so I cut some fingerstones

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4793.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/BSHqVMJA6e_/

Thanks, I have a few saws at my disposal, not sure I have a carbide saw though, I'll go look tomorrow

Angle grinder DOES work IF you don't want to keep any pieces. Mostly turns to dust. I personally do not know anyone capable of making a straight cut ( as in splitting ) a stone with one. Would take an incredible amount of flattening afterward IF you could get it close to straight. :)

Using an angle grinder, do use water because the dust is incredible. Be prepared to immediately change clothes also whether using water or not but especially after using water. The front of your clothes will turn to concrete. :)

My first huge jnat I tried to use an angle grinder. Taught me to use a wet saw or the carbide one mentioned. MUCH better results.

Angle grinder DOES work IF you don't want to keep any pieces. Mostly turns to dust. I personally do not know anyone capable of making a straight cut ( as in splitting ) a stone with one. Would take an incredible amount of flattening afterward IF you could get it close to straight. :)

Using an angle grinder, do use water because the dust is incredible. Be prepared to immediately change clothes also whether using water or not but especially after using water. The front of your clothes will turn to concrete. :)

My first huge jnat I tried to use an angle grinder. Taught me to use a wet saw or the carbide one mentioned. MUCH better results.
Good to know. Thx.

I love when advice comes in the form of "Absolutely do not do this, it's dumb as **** and won't work, but if you insist on being a moron then here's the best way..."

:D:D:D Yep! I have gained a lot of wisdom by making stupid mistakes. Why not share them for a laugh?:D:D:D

Back