Cutting up some handle material

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
So i have been slacking on getting my materials cut up. I got a start today. I cut up 100 blocks and 14 sets of scales, all sanded and dry. I need to start filling a box to get stabilized, so i figured i had better start :dazed:
2012-03-18_15-38-46_320.jpg

2012-03-18_15-38-55_10.jpg

2012-03-18_15-39-19_95.jpg

We have cocobolo, curly walnut, bocote, desert ironwood, honey locust burl, curly eucalyptus and curly maple. Spent the last 2 hours out in the garage, trying to clear out some of the boards that are taking over. Probably going to be posting a few of these for sale later today.

Looks like you have a lot of really nice wood.
I would suggest getting some of the curly maple dyed when you send it for stabilizing.
It looks really cool in black, blue and brown. The curl causes a color change when you move the dyed pieces around.

Definitely planned on that. Black and blue curly are 2 of my favorite dyed woods. I might have some of the Locust dyed black also, makes it look like buckeye burl, but without all the voids lol. I have a lot more being cut up tonight, will get more pics. And...Thanks Mark!

Damn! Some of that Cocobolo looks really nice

Getting some willow and maple burl cut up in a few, will have pics of that stuff in a little while. Sucks using a small bandsaw to process burls....I need to just bite the bullet and buy a nice one. Until then...my trusty chainsaw is working hard lol.

Hoping to get more pieces cut tonight. Got some of the willow cut last night, just never got any pics. Willow is a finicky wood...Looks amazing on the outside, but can sometimes be really boring on the inside. I have a LOT of cool burl pieces, unfortunately they are ferrule size, but i cleaned a few more today and have high hopes....Now if the ants left me anything....

Very cool stuff. I gotta cup up my maple pieces, maybe we can have them swim together in the same blue color liquid at K&G ;)

Stefan

I picked up a Harbor Freight 4 speed bandsaw. It was $460, on sale for $360 and I had a 20% coupon, so it ended up costing $288. I picked up a set of Cool Blocks Blade Guides, TimberWolf 3-4 TPI Variable 1/2" wide blade, Iturra 3" tension spring, new blade tensioner and the Harbor Freight Riser Kit. I cut down several big chunks of Hard Maple into over 50 blocks, some are big enough to get 2 handles and a ferrule out of. Weighed the cut blocks at around 30#. Some is spalted, some is curly, some is somewhat plain. Gonna get it stabilized, some dyed brown, some dyed blue green. The bandsaw knocked the big 7" tall pieces out easily, no problems. I tried doing some smaller pieces with a small Delta Rockwell with frozen bearings and using a 71 3/4" blade and the blades wandered and pretty much ruined the piece I was trying to cut. The big bandsaw worked incredibly well and I still have the Highland WoodSlicer blade for when I get the blocks back from Stabilizing (WSSI). You can often find the HF bandsaws used on Craigslist. It even had a wheel brush installed and seems pretty beefy.

Hmmm.I was looking at a 17" Laguna, but those are spendy. I might look into something similar to that, as long as the riser kit helps. Right now i think i can get about 6.5 inch height cuts out of mine, and height is where i run into the issues. Thanks for the tip :)

I think the riser kit boosted mine to around 12". It's one that you have to assemble and you need someone to help with bolting down the motor. I was going to do the Grizzly, but I got a sweet deal on the HF. Its still on sale for $360.

Back