Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For sure will post my thoughts. A thinner grind is something I don't necessarily mind. He also has an S-grind coming up that I am super curious about.

I agree on the thinner grind and exactly why I'm curious. I've wondered if these aren't a little thicker maybe as a time (cost) saver.

These sure seem like a lot of knife for the money. I'd be really interested in reading your thoughts on the grind when you get them!
1718335724425.png

This is the choil shot on their page, so I expect food release to be not the best... but I think dense foods will be fun.

Is the L6 steel as in AISI L6? I saw them using the “Kanefusa L6” a lot but can’t find any information on that specific
Apparently the steel used in old milling saw blades and used by a lot of swordsmiths, makes sense compared to their often-used 5160 leaf spring steel. Kanefusa apparently does/did supply steel for mills and sawblades, so I think it is the same, or probably very very similar.

These sure seem like a lot of knife for the money. I'd be really interested in reading your thoughts on the grind when you get them!
I have 7 kn.id knives including one of the Kanefusa. It's a *damn* good knife. Not just for the how cheap it is. It's legitimately good. I also have 3 from the Keskin line and they are good but not great. All knives from kn.id have some f&f issues. That being said, 100% worth the money.
This is the choil shot on their page, so I expect food release to be not the best... but I think dense foods will be fun.
The Kanefusa I have looks flat from the choil but is actually convex.

I have a different one in D2 and it's the worst food release of any knife I've ever used.

I have 7 kn.id knives including one of the Kanefusa. It's a *damn* good knife. Not just for the how cheap it is. It's legitimately good. I also have 3 from the Keskin line and they are good but not great. All knives from kn.id have some f&f issues. That being said, 100% worth the money.

The Kanefusa I have looks flat from the choil but is actually convex.

View attachment 328511
I have a different one in D2 and it's the worst food release of any knife I've ever used.

Cool. Thank you!

Lemon grass and scored Pork Belly with my Munetoshi.

"You don't need to score the Pork Belly." - FNG Sous Chef

"This is my knife. There are many similar to it, but this one is mine. My knife is my best friend. It is my life." - Me
View attachment 328981View attachment 328982
Sheesh, lemon grass is rough on knives. Right up there with rosemary.

Sheesh, lemon grass is rough on knives. Right up there with rosemary.
Can be. I give them a good "SPINE NOT THE HANDLE OF THE KNIFE massage" before cutting them. And a good thorough washing.
You a sous there too?
Yes I am. "Sous Chef with one foot out the door".

You're looking at a Kohetsu 210mm bunka in clad SLD. (Pics taken last week) I bought a pair of these around this time last year and gifted both of them to people who had come in totally green and really dug in and earned them. One of them went off to one of the French schools of fine dining or some such thing, the other got himself arrested and returned to Yucatan. The one who got arrested left his knife at the restaurant and it has become the all-singing, all-dancing duty blade of the sushi bar. I decided to make an experiment of it. I decided not to touch it for a year and see how it held up with beater duty. Now keep in mind that we train a lot of people (or try to), entry level restaurant jobs are a revolving door. So this knife has had quite it's fair share of use and abuse. This same use and abuse has totally destroyed some other knives of decent working quality. There was a tojiro DP which lasted about 3 months before cracking from a chip about halfway up the edge when someone tried to chop through a frozen yellow tail collar with it and other similar stuff to similar knives. I fully expected all manner of destruction here, but was surprised to see the knife in this condition. The verdict: if you're looking for a beater knife which can withstand the worst that the FNGs can dish out in a professional environment, a Kohetsu SLD knife is a good choice.
PXL_20240613_234848657.jpg
PXL_20240613_234830339.jpg

Back