Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
229EBC72-9379-40EE-87FB-3E176D804050.jpeg

No cheese is too hard or soft for this one.

My Tanaka trilogy: FM, Tsubaya, Yohei

Never really planned on the FM - I thought I was Tanaka sated - but someone (a star on BST!) was actually willing to send to the UK without grumbling, so forgive me the excess as I scratch a long-held itch

I’m generally loathed to credit these things, but the FM Is uncommonly beautiful. It’s the first knife that I’ve hesitated to use as a result.

Now I’ve added some better photos to the hasty pumpkin number it’ll be put into good use next week…

Which one is the best cutter?

Which one is the best cutter?

Too early to say really - only had the Yohei a few months and I‘ve not felt sufficiently motivated to break the new sheen on the FM quite yet. Something that pretty deserves a bit of an occasion and a proper workload to kick the patina off imo.

I will say that the Tsubaya is more than holding its own at the moment, Cutting with the Yohei is an undeniably lovely experience, but (slightly weirdly) it hasn’t clearly excelled over the Tsubaya in the areas I thought it would. I suspected that the thinner Yohei would hold the cards going through denser product for example, but actually it seems more prone to resistance and cracking on big carrots than the incumbent. Needs more investigation and more rigorous testing really, but it‘s a pleasure using either.

Looking forward to the FM this week!

I really like those circular magnets. My wife would never let me get away with that setup. 😰
Well if I'm being honest, my wife is neither thrilled with my growing knife kit nor the way I store them, but I think at the end of the day she knows, since I spend so much time in the kitchen and cook about 90% of the dinners, that this is a good battle not to fight and to just let it go. We are lucky to have each other in that respect, we give each other lots of space to explore life on our own terms.

Well if I'm being honest, my wife is neither thrilled with my growing knife kit nor the way I store them, but I think at the end of the day she knows, since I spend so much time in the kitchen and cook about 90% of the dinners, that this is a good battle not to fight and to just let it go. We are lucky to have each other in that respect, we give each other lots of space to explore life on our own terms.

The only way to live

nice TF petty
Good eye!! That knife literally lives on my kitchen island and gets used multiple times a day, from cutting slices of cheese, to lopping the heads off strawberries, to opening mail. It's the only Japanese knife my wife will use, and I plan on giving it to my daughter when she feels ready to use it .

(For those of you that are curious, it's the 135mm Fu Rin Ka Zan White 2 petty at Japanese Chef Knife. It's made by TF. It's an awesome little blade)

Back