Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rule is, you have to tell us what they are. That way us other noobs know what we're drooling over! ;)
Ah of course, how could I forget.
Yoshi SKD 210, changed the ho wood d handle with a nicer octo ebony horn
Wakui white 2 210
Wakui blue 2 210
Hitohira Gorobei Rikichi white 2 240

The two wakui I feel are a bit redundant, but the blue 2 is heftier and also iron clad so the white 2 is actually put away for now. The hitohira I think is a new line, not sure who the two smith/sharpener are, but steel/cladding is quite reactive, I like the height, grind is slightly convex. Overall happy for what I could get within my self-imposed budget.

Denty KU Western Chef‘s from @KAMON Knives:

42291858kz.jpeg

42291859ut.jpeg

Last edited:
How are you liking this??

After opening the box and looking at the distal taper I really didn't expect too much, I've never seen a grind quite like it, it's almost thinner at the heel than the tip. Out of box edge was probably 5 out of ten and I didn't think the tip would go though anything dense, I was wrong, even with a crappy edge it cruised through everything I put in front of it with good food release. The handle is on the small size but it balances well, at 220g. it fits me perfect.

Take all this with a grain of salt, it still has it's new knife smell.

I was able to get in on Bernal's Knife of the Week Deal on Daniel Hilgenberg's (Silverthorn) 6" O1 Carbon Steel Boning Knife with Green G10 Handle. Bonus - the local fishmonger (George's Seafood in Norfolk, VA) had some beautiful Tautog in this afternoon to take the new knife for a drive! The Silverthorn performed filleting, cheeking, and skinning all deftly with the OOTB edge (only limited by my skill with this fish).

Attachments

• IMG_6503.JPG
    IMG_6503.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6504.JPG
    IMG_6504.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 23
A slightly less than glamorous one today, albeit for a particular purpose, My beater/home defence tool - a half kilo worth of wedgie Fujiwara FKM western deba.

1635615749929.jpeg

Let’s just say I‘m slightly regretting the ‘growing a giant pumpkin’ wheeze this year, as the novelty of scooping seeds out elbow deep has distinctly worn out. Puzzled cat pictured for scale
1635615773206.jpeg

1635615820278.jpeg

Munetoshi petty sporting a new forced patina with a vinegar/coffee mix. The heel came out kinda brown and blotchy, I think because it wasn't fully immersed in the liquid, but I'm hopeful it'll tone down the reactivity and give me an excuse to pull this guy out more often.

View attachment 149542
View attachment 149543
Cool, how long did you leave it in for?

Munetoshi petty sporting a new forced patina with a vinegar/coffee mix. The heel came out kinda brown and blotchy, I think because it wasn't fully immersed in the liquid, but I'm hopeful it'll tone down the reactivity and give me an excuse to pull this guy out more often.

View attachment 149542
View attachment 149543

The steel areas just over the etching liquid surface get hell because some of the liquid is displaced there in putting the knife into solution to settle back down with the touched areas never immersed again. For longer etchings, the "acidic moisture" emanating from the etching solution will intensify/expand the phenomenon. Best is to use plastic wrap to encase the ferrule and tang insert area as best as possible, with a bit of painter's tape to keep it tight, and immersing as close to the ferrule as you'll see fit. Or removing the handle entirely I guess, but in keeping things uncomplicated...

Now can I ask you: is there any meaningful aspect in your use that doesn't have you regretting buying an iron-clad petty? Not disrespectful, I looked at tons of them because they often also come with a higher heel and more substantial weight, but I could never pull the trigger on any because of the simple fact that they ought to be a PITA for the usual use of petties...

If you're someone who mostly uses petties for meat work like me then it doesn't really matter since it'll just turn a nice shade of blue. I can imagine for others here it might also not matter simply because they have many options to choose from anyway including stainless. :)

At the same time I can see why stainless clad became more dominant in the last couple of years. With monosteels and stainless clad I honestly never even bothered to wipe during prep and always got away with that. Then I got my first iron clad and almost saw it rust in front of my eyes....

Back