Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting together a simple stew. Yoshi 240 performed well. Little sticky on potato until some of the juice coated the sides.
20220613_010025.jpg

The current heavy lifters. My honesuki has been at the far left for some time and it's still frequently used but I have another magnet for the "occasional" knives.

3m252ez.jpg

L to R
- MAC Pro
- Yu Kurosake Senko
- Tsuenhisa
- Watanabe
- Yoshikane
- Akifusa

Aside from being different makers, anyone guess what's different about each of these?
Different finish definitely 😁

I’ll be waiting for your review on your 4 180 gyutos. You got 3 new ones right?

It looks like the 180 Watanabe gyuto might be made by a different smith than the large ones. Toyoma supposedly makes the larger ones, maybe the 180 is made by the same smith that does the kurouchi Nakiris?

It looks like the 180 Watanabe gyuto might be made by a different smith than the large ones. Toyoma supposedly makes the larger ones, maybe the 180 is made by the same smith that does the kurouchi Nakiris?

Sorry, was this directed at me?

Hoping you're not confusing me with another member and me disappointing you. 😁

For 180 gyutos, I bought a Hinokuni, a Tadafusa, an Akifusa, and then the Wat Pro. I also bought a Geiger 195mm and a Yoshikane 180 santoku.

The Hinokuni was in Shirogami and was not impressive. The steel seems fine but the fit and finish is poor as was the grind. Had some recurves that I had to work on. It also has a santoku-like profile.

The Tadafusa is a fine example of performance-forward affordable knife. This was my first foray into carbon core and if this knife hadn't delivered I'm not sure where I would've gone but it was just enough to make me want to keep exploring. A good knife for sure.

The Akifusa is excellent. It may not have the sexy provenance of small makers but it makes up for it in consistency and performance. A very well designed and executed knife. Spine and choil rounded enough to be comfortable, light and nimble, great profile and grind that leans to laser and the steel feels excellent. For me, this is a benchmark knife. This is the knife that others have to knock off the strip.

The Watanabe is the current contender giving the Akifusa a real fight. I opted for the D-shaped Ho handle to help with balance and it feels good in the hand. As to the smith that actually makes these things, I've read a ton on this. There's as many inarguable statements that Shinichi doesn't make them as there that he does. My old cop self has decided that I believe he does make these knives and until something truly concrete comes out to dispute it, then that's what I'm sticking with.

That said, while it's a touch santoku-ish in the tip, I like Shinichi's profile very much. It suits me for rocking and vertical chopping. My example was a near zero grind and the edge was prone to rolling. Nothing terrible, but real nonetheless. It's nothing egregious and I'm just making slight modifications to creep up on the balance of edge stability and slicing performance.

I haven't seen any Irongulls (haven't searched either) on this forum yet here's mine. 180 gyuto in 1095 with an ash and bog oak handle made in Nova Scotia Canada
20220627_150100.jpg
20220627_150013_HDR.jpg

Here's a shot from his instagram

Back