Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom for the son

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805-222138_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805-222138_Chrome.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 0
Second part would be:

RECENTLY THINNED WAKUI PUT TO USE!

The (now thawed half tenderloin portioned into BBQ-ready steaks.
View attachment 191713
Any green individual will notice the bovine is smiling... what can I say!?

Also portioned some bacon, and sliced a third of it into quarter inch strips for the meal… A start to a solid patina on top of the etching.

Look at those halved Brussel sprouts…
View attachment 191714

Not so fresh celery and carrots… fresh carrots probably would have cracked some, but I can’t see anything fresh celery would have made different.
View attachment 191715

Also half of a fresh green bell pepper stripped, halved, and added to the mix.

Then a quick go at two yellow onions… “first” use of an iron clad A#2 on these, even slightly etched, you can see the discoloration… for that one time until a year from now I guess. Celery, carrots, green pepper and onions into one pouch.
View attachment 191716

… and a brunoise of a clove of garlic to be mixed with a square of butter and a touch of spices, melted for badigeonner the steaks while cooking over the BBQ.
View attachment 191717

Also finely sliced a green onion to add to the béarnaise… pouch stuff, just adding a touch of freshness to it. Had about one full hour to get everything prepped before cooking, so fancy needed to meet practical. Also dealt of four potatoes into slices. Sorry for missing pictures, but things were getting more and more frantic.

What it contributed into, and sorry for the rather raw presentation…
View attachment 191718BBQ grilled tenderloin steaks, with a side of bacon fat grilled Brussel sprouts mellowed in Dijon and chicken broth, sprinkled with bacon bits; and BBQ grilled veggies and potato slices topped with Béarnaise. Pan sauce raised from the Brussel sprouts fond with a splash of red wine, a splash of water, a remnant of Dijon chicken broth and the gravy from the cooked tenderloins.

Cooked the “don’t know provenance and possibly twice freezed” tenderloin steaks to a Medium, where I usually would do Medium Rare… but when you don’t know, you don’t know, and the second party to this meal not to be tried much.
View attachment 191720

Surprise wine with a rebate... never tried it before, quite nice...
View attachment 191719

Not only was this excellent and excessive…

But I also cooked half a dozen bacon-cheddar sausages to be cut into rondelles and refrigerated for future TV/reading tidbits of mine. This three of them.
View attachment 191721

And yeah… building on the Wakui’s patina and bringing as most of it to the very heel as I could. Letting it sit until tomorrow and will post some pics.

Promised a patina update. Here obliging. Pretty nice for a first round.

BFB97C85-068B-487F-A37A-15C78485C47E.jpeg

This is aogami, right? I've got a Kochi V2 that looks very similar to this one that I've been working on thinning and polishing, hoping I can get a quality patina going on it soon too!

I’d like a Kochi to play around with too… 😊

Yep mine Wakui’s A#2.

Thinking of doing my latest Denka just for the fun of it. But it cuts much better than expected ootb so it’s kind of a moot point. I’ve not even had a good motive to sharpen it yet, which kinds of surprises me. All TF Mabs owned needed work. Sigh…

How’re you liking his A2?

I’m super interested in these

Liking it a lot Feels like a tank on the board. Easy to sharpen. Balances nicely in hand. Only possible criticism so far is that some stuff is sticking to the face - not sure if the this is the finish or if it needs a touch more convexing

But I've only done one prep so far so the days are still early.

Yes to both. Didn't do much polishing as I'm easing in but just this stone for that and refining the OOTB edge.

I quite see that. It’s a wise move. Especially where I seem to detect a will keeping some convex BTE. Or the Nat is quite muddy and keen but results is too straight for just being a stray mud effect I think.

I quite see that. It’s a wise move. Especially where I seem to detect a will keeping some convex BTE. Or the Nat is quite muddy and keen but results is too straight for just being a stray mud effect I think.

This real focus on thinning and polishing is new to me. I was hoping to keep some convexing, or at least not ruin it. You noticing is a boost of confidence. Stone had very little mud.

I was hoping to keep some convexing, or at least not ruin it. … Stone had very little mud.

It’ll sound either patronizing or obviously stupid but first part means the same to me. You’d never do one without the other… from there your own satisfaction is mostly boss… that is there’ll be your own discoveries, also… mostly.

Back