Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first try at convex thinning on my first Japanese yo-gyuto.

This Ashi Ginga 240 Yo-gyuto came with a massive secondary bevel that I was not fond of, the tip area was especially thick because of that.

I busted out the JNS 300 and started thinning, making sure to add rocking motions to keep the convexity.

After 2 hours I managed to grind to to zero and added the final edge on a SP2k.

To my surprise, it now cuts like my HD2 but has even better food release! This might be my favorite laser right now, true 240 mm length and a killer edge.

It may not look as pretty as a brand new Ashi Ginga, but I just wanted to share this because I am proud of how good it came out.

Bonus, it also looks like a sanmai low bevel gyuto now.
20221203_202243.jpg

20221203_202315.jpg
Ashi Yo-gyuto Choil.jpg
Choil before
20221203_202332.jpg
Choil after

Last edited:

This Ashi Ginga 240 Yo-gyuto came with a massive secondary bevel that I was not fond of, the tip area was especially thick because of that.

I busted out the JNS 300 and started thinning, making sure to add rocking motions to keep the convexity.

To my surprise, it now cuts like my HD2 but has even better food release! This might be my favorite laser right now, true 240 mm length and a killer edge.

It may not look as pretty as a brand new Ashi Ginga, but I just to share this because I am proud of how good it came out.

Bonus, it also looks like a sanmai gyuto now.
View attachment 212142
View attachment 212143
View attachment 212145

Excellent! Good for you and thank you for sharing.

It may not look as pretty as a brand new Ashi Ginga, but I just wanted to share this because I am proud of how good it came out.

View attachment 212142
View attachment 212143
View attachment 212146
Choil before
View attachment 212145
Choil after
Nice work, the original grind doesn't look like anything I've seen on other Gingas... This is why I buy from Jon.

That's some seriously high praise given what else is in your collection! Shame that Steffen stopped working...

There is no doubt that the top makers have earned and deserve their success. IMO there are quite a few makers producing much the same quality but haven’t earned the fanfare … yet. Making one’s way as a knife maker has to be a pretty tough gig. It’s no surprise that some very talented makers get lost along the way. Steffen is just one of several I can think of. The trick is to include examples from these quality makers in your collection when the opportunity arises.

Nice work, the original grind doesn't look like anything I've seen on other Gingas... This is why I buy from Jon.
I got it from BluewayJapan since they had the coke-shaped yo handle version that I wanted.

Besides the thick secondary bevel, the 61 HRC vs the usual 59-60 HRC is nice, true 240 mm length too.

2 knives from Dan Bidinger:

44819578ap.jpeg

Top „bluejay“ is a symmetric B-grind, dimensions are 230/58/195g.

Bottom one is a full convex WH, 252/58/258g.

I still can’t believe I watched the convex workhorse sit at Crocker and didn’t get it. Looks to be a very good pick up. What are your thoughts on these two from Dan?

I still can’t believe I watched the convex workhorse sit at Crocker and didn’t get it. Looks to be a very good pick up. What are your thoughts on these two from Dan?
Both of them are absolutely fantastic, although quite different.

The convex WH is thicker but its grind is super impressive. I’d say it is as good as convex can get!

The slightly thinner bluejay has a symmetric B-grind. Food release is a different thing. It is thinner, lighter, has a smaller handle. Is the handle really smaller or is it just the facets that make it seem smaller?! Nah, I think it is really smaller…

I can’t decide which one I prefer. I love the heavier blade of the WH, while the handle and increased food release are sweet on the bluejay!

Did you sharpen the spine? =O
Yes, I am working down the hira a bit. There was a pretty thick layer of caked on rust that needed to go, and I can also get some of the pitting out by sharpening. There's some rust on the spine too I'll clean up later with some sandpaper

Sharing a blade i finished recently which i inspired myself on Starry Night by van gogh on handle.

Ive found that somehow the style of van gogh is really similar to the pattern found on burl woods like maple burl and such, stabilized in the right colors, it can really reminds a lot his paintings.

Attachments

• 19 - SeLjMzl.jpg
    19 - SeLjMzl.jpg
    741.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 30 - e8eiqqS.jpg
    30 - e8eiqqS.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 15 - rvnyB5z.jpg
    15 - rvnyB5z.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 0

View attachment 212142
View attachment 212143
View attachment 212146
Choil before
View attachment 212145
Choil after

Nice! I had my eyes on this one, really like the handle.

Surprised it needed thinning, but given that I'm not surprised it didn't came from Jon :).

Last edited:
Back