Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tanaka x Yohei vs lemongrass
20230124_174123.jpg

Here's a quick little combo pic of two of my favorite knives :)

The bottom one is one that I made, modeled after a famous series of knives made by the Japanese swordsmith Masamune often referred to as "hocho Masamune." Very proud of this one because believe it or not, its literally the first thing I ever forged! no leafs, attempts at forging other things, nope i just jumped right in a few years back head first and this is what popped out on my first try lol It's going to stay in my personal collection, i must have redone the saya finish three times already, just havnt gotten the look i want yet lol just sanded it down in the picture you see and am about to try something else :D

The top is an actual antique tanto I just got done making the habaki for thats about to get polished traditionally (by someone else, an actual togishi lol) It's got a matching katana that's in the same boat, these are also for my personal collection :)

Attachments

• combo pic.jpg
    combo pic.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 0
I haven’t been here that long but I’ve uncovered many great knives on this journey. While I may aggressively try to track down some and “collect” them, I usually end up selling them on BST or trading with some gent’s on here I’ve been talking with a lot.

I try to not keep anything that isn’t perfect for me. While I’d like to collect a mass of knives, my mentality and interests are all about usage. Im in the industry and love to put these to the test. Trying a knife and experiencing new makers is half the fun.

Here is what I have remaining after the whirlwind of selling and trading. 2 of the Yanick’s here are going to go to some buddies on the forum.

Cheers

D0BCED39-B56A-49D6-8193-0175418794BE.jpeg

82B5A96F-1895-43FA-BBDE-5B909EC6E3D9.jpeg
38878604-04B0-4F7F-BE51-1546ACBAFF6B.jpeg
F1955DC6-3B1B-4DBD-A544-79F720BB70D5.jpeg
A7A0AA44-9B6E-425C-9EF2-E0AB8428B1BF.jpeg

Last edited:
I haven’t been here that long but I’ve uncovered many great knives on this journey. While I may aggressively try to track down some and “collect” them, I usually end up selling them on BST or trading with some gent’s on here I’ve been talking with a lot.

I try to not keep anything that isn’t perfect for me. While I’d like to collect a mass of knives, my mentality and interests are all about usage. Im in the industry and love to put these to the test. Trying a knife and experiencing new makers is half the fun.

Here is what I have remaining after the whirlwind of selling and trading. A few of the knives here are going to go to some buddies on the forum.

Cheers

View attachment 221768
View attachment 221769View attachment 221772View attachment 221770View attachment 221771
Nothing but 🔥🔥🔥 in this collection

Here is what I have remaining after the whirlwind of selling and trading. A few of the knives here are going to go to some buddies on the forum.

Cheers

View attachment 221768
View attachment 221769View attachment 221772View attachment 221770View attachment 221771
Another Yanick at CKC this week, makes me want to get that…

Cheers

View attachment 221768
damn dude

In my neck of the woods (i.e. Sweden), the knife line Tamahagane Shokunin is being sold out at a steep discount everywhere right now. I took the opportunity to get their boning knife / honesuki and since the product pics in all web stores only show one side of the blade and no details, I tried taking a bit more closeups of the grind:
PXL_20230125_131105224.jpg
PXL_20230125_131253790.jpg
PXL_20230125_131132254.jpg

Well... at the list prices here in Sweden, and for more normal knives like a gyuto, I'd rather look at something else. But at the 50% off sale and as a recommendation to non knife geeks, I guess they make sense now. :)

Cheers

View attachment 221768
This kiritsuke by yanick is really sweet. How much do you like it ?

This kiritsuke by yanick is really sweet. How much do you like it ?
It’s an interesting one. Has more wow factor like a Kamon. Certainly bigger than I normally go so I’m still getting used to it.

You certainly seem to be very active in your time here, so it's cool to see what you've kept.

Thanks for sharing!

I saw someone else did this and posted pictures here or on Reddit, so not my idea. It works nicely in an apartment where you don’t want to hang magnet blocks.

I got the same inspiration from here sometime last year:

PXL_20230126_215741915.jpg

But even if I live in a rental aparment, I still have a mag strip:

PXL_20230126_215749919.jpg

I've lived in this building for over 25 years, and more than half in this apartment. It was not freshly renovated when I moved in but is probably up for renovation when I'll move out. :)

From the left in the lower pic:

Munetoshi Petty 165mm (JNS)
Kejibei Nakiri 165mm (Cleancut)
Tamahagane Shokunin Honesuki
Fredrik Spåre 210mm with aftermarket handle
Watanabe 240mm SS gyuto

I got the same inspiration from here sometime last year:

View attachment 221908

But even if I live in a rental aparment, I still have a mag strip:

View attachment 221907

I've lived in this building for over 25 years, and more than half in this apartment. It was not freshly renovated when I moved in but is probably up for renovation when I'll move out. :)

From the left in the lower pic:

Munetoshi Petty 165mm (JNS)
Kejibei Nakiri 165mm (Cleancut)
Tamahagane Shokunin Honesuki
Fredrik Spåre 210mm with aftermarket handle
Watanabe 240mm SS gyuto
Spotting that TF Yo was the easiest.

Love the patina on the Masamoto
Thanks! That little knife is probably my favorite knife in my roll atm. It’s a wicked little knife that just does it all for me. Just want a ho wood saya to finish it off. And yeah, I love the patina as well. It gets such rich and deep colors. I bought it to learn how to polish and I’m sure once I get better at it the patina will pop even more.

Back