Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yessssss! There it is in action! I already know you are loving this thing….
True that! It was a pleasure to communicate with Merion Forge and the knife is absolutely great. It turned out much nicer than I had hoped… And the handle is really comfortable. The flatspot is quite long though and the heel bangs a bit into the board. Either I will adjust the profile or my cutting technique. Food release is really very nice, I call it root celery slayer!!!

Last edited:
Upgraded my cutting board and it makes my 220 gyuto look like a petty. Had a snap a quick woodgasm pic. Same knife before rehandle on my old "big board" for reference. Both teak. Gyuto is an Enjin/Kyohei Shindo blue #2

View attachment 212870

View attachment 212871
Hi. I was just looking for mentions of the Kyohei Shindo knives when I saw your post - I’m thinking of getting one. How do you like yours? I know and like the Tosa style, I have two from Takeo Murata.
Thanks, cheers,
Lon

Hi. I was just looking for mentions of the Kyohei Shindo knives when I saw your post - I’m thinking of getting one. How do you like yours? I know and like the Tosa style, I have two from Takeo Murata.
Thanks, cheers,
Lon
Haha you'll probably see me fanboying often if you hunt through mentions. Do you know which profile you want?

Straight up best bang for buck I've had in this knife journey. The nakiri was my first Japanese knife and I should've just stopped there, it outcuts damn near all of my more expensive knives.

I have the gyuto, bunka, and nakiri. They all folllw a pretty similar template of thicker spine especially at the handle and super thin grinds behind the edge so they're fantastic laser-feeling cutters. The bunka and gyuto have strong distal tapers, the bunka tip is the thinnest I've ever seen on a knife and I use it as a petty for garlic or shallot fine work. The gyuto tip is also quite thin. You can't really go wrong with any but I definitely suggest grabbing one with an upgraded handle from Sharp Knife Shop or Zahocho, it's worth the bump.

Excellent heat treat, the blue #2 takes a fantastic edge easily, holds it for a long time, and is quite durable especially considering how thin behind the edge they are. I've never microchipped mine and my wife uses the nakiri often with...less than desirable technique.

My nakiri is 172 mm and taller, I can't quite remember but at least 50-52 mm. Rounded tip that's dumb sharp, good for shallots and garlic fine work if you are comfortable with nakiri. Mostly flat profile but enough to rock a bit, I do on green onions and chives sometimes.

The bunka is true 165 mm and not quite as tall, around 47 mm.

The gyuto is ~223 mm, I haven't measured the heel of mine but I prefer taller knives and it feels great so at least 50 mm. It's got a good flat spot with enough curve to not thud to a dead stop, good for pushing and can rock some.

Bunka choil
20220820_151100.jpg

Gyuto profile
20230119_065029.jpg

Gyuto tip
20230119_065151.jpg

Haha you'll probably see me fanboying often if you hunt through mentions. Do you know which profile you want?

Straight up best bang for buck I've had in this knife journey. The nakiri was my first Japanese knife and I should've just stopped there, it outcuts damn near all of my more expensive knives.

I have the gyuto, bunka, and nakiri. They all folllw a pretty similar template of thicker spine especially at the handle and super thin grinds behind the edge so they're fantastic laser-feeling cutters. The bunka and gyuto have strong distal tapers, the bunka tip is the thinnest I've ever seen on a knife and I use it as a petty for garlic or shallot fine work. The gyuto tip is also quite thin. You can't really go wrong with any but I definitely suggest grabbing one with an upgraded handle from Sharp Knife Shop or Zahocho, it's worth the bump.

Excellent heat treat, the blue #2 takes a fantastic edge easily, holds it for a long time, and is quite durable especially considering how thin behind the edge they are. I've never microchipped mine and my wife uses the nakiri often with...less than desirable technique.

My nakiri is 172 mm and taller, I can't quite remember but at least 50-52 mm. Rounded tip that's dumb sharp, good for shallots and garlic fine work if you are comfortable with nakiri. Mostly flat profile but enough to rock a bit, I do on green onions and chives sometimes.

The bunka is true 165 mm and not quite as tall, around 47 mm.

The gyuto is ~223 mm, I haven't measured the heel of mine but I prefer taller knives and it feels great so at least 50 mm. It's got a good flat spot with enough curve to not thud to a dead stop, good for pushing and can rock some.

Bunka choil
View attachment 224711

Gyuto profile
View attachment 224723

Gyuto tip
View attachment 224724
Wow - thanks very much for your personal and detailed reply. I’ll check out the vendors you mentioned.

Keijiro Doi fuguhiki 300mm in perfect mint condition! The suisin stamp added as a sign for high quality. Nice wooden saya, original package and papers. #土井敬次郎#Keijirodoi#Kazuodoi#Itsuodoi

Attachments

• C5D4C3D4-607F-4C0B-AF7C-8D47BD32E7C4.jpeg
    C5D4C3D4-607F-4C0B-AF7C-8D47BD32E7C4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 7444F9CB-3DAF-4E4E-9B9D-C4270D8BCC87.jpeg
    7444F9CB-3DAF-4E4E-9B9D-C4270D8BCC87.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2B7B8A18-DA23-4983-8509-FC463EA9CD2E.jpeg
    2B7B8A18-DA23-4983-8509-FC463EA9CD2E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 27EDD5AD-1E90-44AF-A741-670507192345.jpeg
    27EDD5AD-1E90-44AF-A741-670507192345.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 1EB30557-FF95-49EE-99D2-A0FD16ACB3D9.jpeg
    1EB30557-FF95-49EE-99D2-A0FD16ACB3D9.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Tonight’s potatoes Lyonnaise brought to you by this trio:

Sakai Kikumori 210mm gyuto in SK
Hinokuni 210mm santoku in Shirogami 1
MSicard 230mm gyuto in Apex Ultra

Food release on the santoku seemed mostly due to KU finish. Food release on the MSicard seemed mostly due to geometry (thickness BTE). Food release on the Sakai Kikumori was mostly due to pull cuts lol
B82CFBAE-C03D-43A3-B9A0-3273917695D0.jpeg

Back