Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simple pleasures. ;)

52887684779_9b829fa10a_o.jpg

Started working on a Heiji carbon last night. Straightened, evened out the bevels, eventually going to be fully polished.

Start
View attachment 242685
400 grit
View attachment 242683
View attachment 242684

Sharpening / shaping is really satisfying!
what stones did you use? I’m wondering if the NSK series would be good for this kind of work.

I did the same (not as well of course :)) with a 270 Heiji suji recently and was surprised how nice the original grind was. not stone ready but didn’t require much metal removal to get there.

what stones did you use? I’m wondering if the NSK series would be good for this kind of work.
NSK 200 - 3k above, I think they're great for this type of shaping work.
I did the same (not as well of course :)) with a 270 Heiji suji recently and was surprised how nice the original grind was. not stone ready but didn’t require much metal removal to get there.
I spent about an hour on 200 grit evening out the bevels. Some serious low spots at the heels and tips and a few very small over grinds throughout. I've seen far worse and for the price I think the grind was reasonable.

Synth prep took just under 4 hours to go through 6k which is fine enough to jump straight to a soft but fine finisher. You could easily jump from 3k to a fast, soft Kyoto stone an get a good kasumi I think.

Confirmed with the person who originally purchased the blade from Heiji that the dots kanji was applied by mistake. As the healthy patina led me to believe this one is iron clad / carbon core
Lol, I got a semi stainless from him a while back that was missing the dots. Have a carbon one that should be done next month, can’t wait!

NSK 200 - 3k above, I think they're great for this type of shaping work.

I spent about an hour on 200 grit evening out the bevels. Some serious low spots at the heels and tips and a few very small over grinds throughout. I've seen far worse and for the price I think the grind was reasonable.

Synth prep took just under 4 hours to go through 6k which is fine enough to jump straight to a soft but fine finisher. You could easily jump from 3k to a fast, soft Kyoto stone an get a good kasumi I think.
BTW are you using the NSK Kyokuha 200? I was searching here for NSK stones and a post came up where you said basically it was kinda meh. Just wondering if you have a different view now. I'll probably grab a few NSKs in the 200-800 range.

BTW are you using the NSK Kyokuha 200? I was searching here for NSK stones and a post came up where you said basically it was kinda meh. Just wondering if you have a different view now. I'll probably grab a few NSKs in the 200-800 range.
I am using that one. I had issues with surface conditioning initially, but once I figured out loose SIC wakes it up its been insanely good.

There is no way around it, the NSK stuff is expensive as all get out... Im lucky that it is a luxury that was achievable and made sense as an investment given sharpening is my primary hobby at this point. They're not necessary, but boy do they work. I've got a full set now. I personally think the 400s is too soft and would get the harder version, but otherwise I'm a big fan.
86EF02C4-9686-46C2-86E1-8338F40BE2C0.jpeg

Last edited:
I am using that one. I had issues with surface conditioning initially, but once I figured out loose SIC wakes it up its been insanely good.

There is no way around it, the NSK stuff is expensive as all get out... Im lucky that it is a luxury that was achievable and made sense as an investment given sharpening is my primary hobby at this point. They're not necessary, but boy do they work. I've got a full set now. I personally think the 400s is too soft and would get the harder version, but otherwise I'm a big fan.
View attachment 242769
nice stack ;)

thanks. I've been doing a lot of thinning / geometry tweaking (and subsequent scratch removal) lately. I like my SG220 and SG500 but I'm getting tired of flattening frequently and getting sore fingers from applying pressure to make things faster.

thinking about getting the 200 and 400 initially as they'll do most of the shaping work, with less mud and mess / pressure / flattening.

View attachment 242769
How’s the hardness on the #200? Any issues with dishing with the heavy lifting it does?

I did a full polish on my Hitohira Tanaka Yohei blue #1 gyuto. I started with a synthetic progression, and I wasn’t careful about making an even polish, so I cheated at the end by using some sandpaper and then natural stone mud on felt. There are a couple of stray course scratches that I missed, and the polish is not perfect, but I am really happy with it. In the right light, you can see some squigglies in the cladding which is fun (I tried my best to take a picture of this). The knife cut really nicely when I used it tonight (much less drag than the out of the box finish).
IMG_3478.jpegIMG_3479.jpegIMG_3475.jpegIMG_3481.jpegIMG_3477.jpeg

From factory grind, to low spot and finally kasumi on natural. Nice and quick project on this Fujimoto shirogami 2 135mm petty! All in all it's a 5 hours project which is a record for me haha

Progression: shapton 320, Naniwa pro 1k, Tsushima, Maruoyama Aisa, Narutaki suita & Mizukihara uchigumori finger stone.

A274D341-DBFC-4938-8789-8F3A00F1761B.jpeg
83D7D476-6A4F-4E71-B5E5-1747A3E95019.jpeg
1A1961DA-E884-479C-9049-9C9FA2520383.jpeg

Sharpening a 240 yanagiba
A4F0EE78-4AC1-47CC-836E-8B523A773803.jpeg

Took some time off from my projects as I was getting a bit frustrated with some of them and wanted to be able to look at them with a fresh pair of eyes after a break. Easing back into things with something that's just cute

View attachment 243568
We’re going to have to get you over here to sharpen the worlds smollest deba on Texas’ largest JNat

Dunno why I enjoy doing this learning journey late at night, but here's how far I've reached-
IMG_0514.jpeg

Stone polishing my Birgersson from previous coffee etched version- quite a lot of work for me to reset and flatten the bevels, had to go down from 400 to 220 and thinking it's still not fast enough(sore fingers and arms🤣). Finished on Uchi but still couple obvious low spots left on both sides, more hours to go!

Back