Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my Bogdan ;)

40876444sr.jpg

Mack.
I love your Bogdan too
Been thinking of grabbing one, but can't find our where + ukraine stuff

I love your Bogdan too
Been thinking of grabbing one, but can't find our where + ukraine stuff

Got mine a few years ago, was rather cheap these days (~350€), use it quite often and won't let it go anymore. There are a few other similar systems, but I'm sure you know that.

Mack.

On a little van life roadie and have found a use for what I now call a "travel size" aizu 🤣
IMG_20220817_173447.jpg

Some unknown Tosa knife next to it, funnily enough I will pass through Tosa in the next day or two and see what the knives there are like. Should be cool!

Been a long time without a real project... Well there was the Kaji-Bei a few months ago, and possibly THAT would be considered more of a real project than what comes next... however the Kaji-Bei is a 200$ CAD knife, so with a modicum of experience one just... goes at it how one sees fit without much of extra care or second thoughts.

View attachment 191046
Twice the price Wakui however, now 1 year + with me (time flies!!), was a project I knew inevitable sooner or later if I didn't sell it, and one I've been looking forward to. Well I didn't sell it, and decided it was time for "maintenance thinning". Very little to do in fact in terms of thinning but a first go at polishing the wide bevel, and I wanted it to be neat. Taped the faces even where I wasn't so worried of either the stones at hand or consistency of the wide bevel - just maniacally wanted to ensure looks would keep kosher.

View attachment 191047
Nanohone 200: fast (for good knives) and tidy. It was little work getting both sides done, an easy check before the next stone in line, where final thinning would be dealt with, and the real polishing would begin. Not that the Nanohone isn't a good start in that regard, especially if you spend a little more time with it...

View attachment 191048
... yet Cerax 320 would at once allow me to paint an even better start yet while being that much more comfy and tactile getting the bevel and BTE how I wanted. Still dealt with speed in mind - about 15 minutes required. I don't care much for stray scratches from it especially with iron clad. Tape was removed from there on - next stones mud nowhere coarse enough to inflict any discoloration to the KU-Nash, unless you really rub at it.

View attachment 191049
A little bit of extra work at the tip, not entirely erasing my last microbevel (quite acute as a last resort to the BTE getting irremediably thick) but almost. More of it kept towards the heel.
View attachment 191050

And the choil shot now slightly thinner...
View attachment 191051

... than it got to me in the first place OOTB. Can still see the remnant of my last micro-bevel. I saw no point getting it extra thin... yet. Separation was as good as could be expected OOTB anyhow. Preservation work here, if you will.

But... most of the stop here is how good Cerax 700 can be - in my use. Which is no bragging... see next post.
View attachment 191052View attachment 191053View attachment 191054View attachment 191055
Like the idea of putting tape around the handle!

with the usb microscope i use, the edges look black when they are highly polished.

i used to use the above pictures to illustrate the difference between razors finished on synths with high polish and naturals that leave a more matte/hazy finish. both shave very well.

top picture is a naniwa 12k edge under fairly high magnification. bottom picture is a hard jnat finished on misty slurry. both pics are from about 6 years ago. if i ever get a chance to dig through my comp in the living room ill try to find some other pics. i had a massive library of bevel pics finished on various naturals. jnats/coti's/eschers/ark's etc as well as a bunch of synth finishers/progression stones and lapping film. basically a little bit of everything.
Do you have any recommendations for usb microscopes? I'm keen to get weird

Do you have any recommendations for usb microscopes? I'm keen to get weird

innolife Portable 50X-500X Magnification 8-LED USB Digital Microscope Endoscope with Stand for Education Biological Inspection https://a.co/d/2j9kLYK

If these Amazon links aren’t allowed please remove.

This is the one I bought in 2015 to take pics of my razor bevels. I’d imagine the newer usb microscopes would probably have a bit better picture quality. But this one got the job done surprisingly well.

Thanks @runninscared man they're cheap! The same looking one I can see available is up to 1600 magnification, who knows what's actually legit with those budget things though.. I'll give it a try.

Went to a store in tosa today that had various knives and tools and bits n bobs, the knives were all quite generic and seemed quickly finished with convex double bevels but it seems to go hand in hand with being practical just like the tools! There was an example of some tamahagane in the entrance along with some huge examples of uhhh knives/swords? Hard to tell the size but the actual sword looking one was maybe 1.2m in length! Sorry for average pictures but I was in a bit of a rush.
IMG_20220818_130355.jpg
IMG_20220818_125800.jpg
IMG_20220818_234107.jpg
IMG_20220818_130448.jpg
IMG_20220818_130403.jpg

Ever seen videos of those Japanese wood shaving competitions? That'll blow your mind!
Oh man those long strips of straight see through wood is crazy. The one with the huge kanna is so satisfying.

After spending hours screwing around with chisels and kiridashi I now realize it’s not just knives, but anything that can be sharpened intrigues me.

Btw @Wabisabi-Ken that museum place looks awesome! When I go back to Japan I’m going to bore the heck out of my family.

Oh man those long strips of straight see through wood is crazy. The one with the huge kanna is so satisfying.

After spending hours screwing around with chisels and kiridashi I now realize it’s not just knives, but anything that can be sharpened intrigues me.

Btw @Wabisabi-Ken that museum place looks awesome! When I go back to Japan I’m going to bore the heck out of my family.

I wonder what one of those huge blades cost?

Maybe @refcast knows...

Stepped away from my late night polishing setup yesterday and when I came back realize it was fairly photogenic (in my mind). Life feels so much simpler when it’s just me, some rocks, a blade, and preferably a glass of something nice. I actually enjoy polishing in this setup - no lights besides two bright LED strips right overhead. Was working with some uchigumori stones on a yanagiba.
BF840663-F0F5-4004-8417-783D02AAAB51.jpeg

Last edited:
Back