Daily Sharpening Pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoops, noticed some tiny rust spots right on the cutting edge of my Ashi Hamono suji. They are now gone and she's now oiled and shaving sharp. Now that I have "the station" set up, I might have to touch up some others...
PXL_20230225_145453232~2.jpg

Whoops, noticed some tiny rust spots right on the cutting edge of my Ashi Hamono suji. They are now gone and she's now oiled and shaving sharp. Now that I have "the station" set up, I might have to touch up some others...
View attachment 227668
looking good with the patina and that handle! I assume it’s the stock handle, but burnt? 270?

No audio. Background noise was awful. Hope the video makes sense.

how do you feel about the burr with gloves ? what is the coarseness of stones?
why are you using gloves? i also want to use gloves but i cant feel burrs or anything with them...

how do you feel about the burr with gloves ? what is the coarseness of stones?
why are you using gloves? i also want to use gloves but i cant feel burrs or anything with them...
Practice really. After feeling for the burr with gloves on, and confirming it with gloves off, I was able to detect the burr with gloves on.

The stones are pretty coarse. About 120 and 320 or so. I do let the fine side glaze and load up so it acts a little finer grit.

I'm using the gloves because I am at work. I don't want to contaminate any food.

Nice clean up work!

I had one of those years ago. I grew up with the Gerber name meaning quality. I hadn't been paying very close attention to the knife world and didn't realize they'd sold and moved a lot of production to China. What a sad experience. The knife was little more than overly priced gas station junk.

This one got disassembled for the clean up?
Unfortunately no. The manufacturer does not recommend disassembly on these. I think maybe due to cheap mfg process, maybe it won't go back together properly. If it were my own knife and not a friend's, then I'd risk it, but in this case I elected not to. So the cleanup was done to the best of my ability with thin tools to squeeze into the little nooks.
Nice clean up work!

I had one of those years ago. I grew up with the Gerber name meaning quality. I hadn't been paying very close attention to the knife world and didn't realize they'd sold and moved a lot of production to China. What a sad experience. The knife was little more than overly priced gas station junk.
Definitely feels like cheap material. I know I apexed it, and my sharpening skills aren't that poor. I went thru 4 different stones trying to find one that would leave a decent edge. Unfortunately Ive concluded that this steel wasn't intended to take an edge.

Here's a video of the whole knife after cleanup.

Unfortunately no. The manufacturer does not recommend disassembly on these. I think maybe due to cheap mfg process, maybe it won't go back together properly. If it were my own knife and not a friend's, then I'd risk it, but in this case I elected not to. So the cleanup was done to the best of my ability with thin tools to squeeze into the little nooks.

Definitely feels like cheap material. I know I apexed it, and my sharpening skills aren't that poor. I went thru 4 different stones trying to find one that would leave a decent edge. Unfortunately Ive concluded that this steel wasn't intended to take an edge.

Here's a video of the whole knife after cleanup.

And the inferiority extends beyond the blade. The "lock" on mine got so unreliable in short order that it was dangerous. I tossed it out.

Little reshaping happening down here. Taking the hollow bevels from the Birgersson and changing them over to convex bevels is a little tricky. I also wanted to subtly thin out the tip so the bevels were more consistent in height from back to front. In the left side I focused more on the iron pushing the shinogi up subtly across the whole length and quite a bit at the tip. On the right I worked a little more evenly between steel and clad introducing a little more convexity and leaving a slightly lower shoulder. Subtle changes given the overall geometry started so thin, but should keep the edge from getting to thin as I tweaked the grind. Ready to start polishing now.

Last edited:
Back