Damaged Knife Restoration Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Tomaras

Reaction score
I just crossed the ocean and arrived at my sister-in-law’s house. I’ll be a guest here for a few weeks. As I know that her set of Shun knives are very dull, I am looking forward to a good session with some impressive improvement.

However, dull is not the appropriate word! We are talking about chipped, blunt, mistreated knives here! The petty tip is broken off about 8mm down! The Gyuto is compdull with nice chips along the edge.

I ordered some supplies to be delivered here. An Atoma plate 140, a Shapton 320x course stone, a Naniwa Pro 1000, and Some paste for the strop that I made for her.

I bought the Atoma for flattening my stones, but can I use it with a knife directly? I was planning on starting on the 320 grit stone, but that was before I saw the condition of these knives. Will I damage the Atoma plate if I attempt to recreate a tip on the broken petty?

thank you!

Yeah, you can use the Atoma directly. Just lubricate it with water and be mindful of the pressure used. As in, adequate but light pressure that lets the diamonds do the work.

Here is a previous thread about this topic exactly > Does anybody do thinning with Atoma 140?
Thank you for that link. After reading some, I think I’m going to use the atoma just to fix the broken tip on the petty and use the 320 stone on the blades.

I did a little post with some stuff that might be useful here: Repair and Restoration

For a 8mm tipping on a petty I would be very tempted to make it into a k-tip and do all the metal removal on the spine. Trying to restore the shape of it and then get the bevel geometry back might be more trouble than it's worth. I'd also save the atoma on do that on a paving slab (or some other rock) and then move onto the 320.

I used Atoma a lot for repairs before switching to 2x70 grinder. Yes it wears over time, but 2-3 knife repairs wouldn't make a noticeable difference in performance.

Thank you everyone! Update:

I used the atoma to fix the tip. I used light pressure and it only took about 30 minutes. It turned out really great.

For the edges, despite being heavily damaged, I put them to work on the Shapton 320 grit stone. It was my first time using that stone, and I really like it! I was able to completely remove all of the chips and bring back a pretty nice edge. I also gently rubbed the backside of the tip that I fixed on the Shapton to smooth out some of those heavy scratches from the Atoma.

Back