Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys :) I do have a performance question. This handle is pretty heavy with everything in/on it. The balance point is right where the blade comes out of the handle. Aside from a bit of reshaping the handle, is it super important for a suji to be blade heavy/ weight forward for it to perform properly? I still want to thin the blade just a touch, cutting performance is first and foremost. What do you guys think?

Well done Mike, really nice, all that work on the handle payed off:biggrin:

A little voice inside of me told me that I shouldn't open this thread. It was right.

That horn handle is AMAZING. The i-beam on top doesn't exactly do it for me, but the colors, spacers, and horn are just beautiful together. And I haven't even mentioned the blade...

Great work.

k.

Thanks guys. I am sending this one out to Coop for some pics next week. I really need to jam on a saya for it...I have some cool plans for that :) I will get some pictures up when i start on it tomorrow. I have some awesome Walnut the Mark sent me, i think i might use that, to keep the theme of the dark....And maybe a small inlay :) One question for you guys...Witha saya, i also thought about doing a leather sheath to boot...Whatcha think?

leather is always cool, sometimes you just want to grab and go.and not worry about messing up a really nice saya.

Well, it would have both. I drew out a sheath designfor it last night, going to window in some stingray skin behind some tooled leather. Should be pretty cool, if i don't screw up lol.

Thanks guys :) I do have a performance question. This handle is pretty heavy with everything in/on it. The balance point is right where the blade comes out of the handle. Aside from a bit of reshaping the handle, is it super important for a suji to be blade heavy/ weight forward for it to perform properly? I still want to thin the blade just a touch, cutting performance is first and foremost. What do you guys think?
If it was me, I'd grind some weight off the handle, shorten it a bit and thin only near the edge so you don't lose anymore mass. I've used a couple of handle heavy suji's and I wasn't thrilled about them.

Thanks TK. I just might do that, handle is pretty long as it is, 154 mm And dimensions are as follows(for now) Height at heel:23.2mm, width at heel: 21.4mm, Height at butt: 26.05mm, Width at butt 21.35. So it appears that i have a little bit of shaping to do lol. Handle weighs a whopping 176 grams right now, with the blade only coming in at 181 grams..... I suppose that needs to change to get the handle a bit under the blade. Maybe i will lose 6-7mm on length, easy to trim the buttcap lol. And also thin the front of the handle out to about 19 ish mm. Hopefully i can drop 25-30 grams off of it.

Well, it would have both. I drew out a sheath designfor it last night, going to window in some stingray skin behind some tooled leather. Should be pretty cool, if i don't screw up lol.

both is always better. I like the idea alot can't wait to see it.

What brand epoxy did you use to hold so many different materials together?

I used 60 minute loctite, and JB weld. The blade is not attached yet, but i will use acraglas to hold that in. With the way everything interlocks, it is like a puzzle. Once the blade is mounted and the corbies are put in, it will be next to impossible for anything to move. Engineering the handle construction was what took me so long to finish it lol.

I am hoping to have the handle reshaped and completely finished today. Corbies are ready to go, and handle is partially reshaped. Thinking i need to take a little bit more off before i polish it again. Pics in a little while, getting ready to go to the dentist :/

LOL! Sorry. Handle is mid redo, had a friend drop it on the concrete floor and broke the handle :( We are going full musk ox this time. No more rubix cube stuff....too damn hard lol.

Man, I hope you managed to save some of that Musk ox for a spacer or something. That stuff was really nice!

LOL! Sorry. Handle is mid redo, had a friend drop it on the concrete floor and broke the handle :( We are going full musk ox this time. No more rubix cube stuff....too damn hard lol.

Ouch! Hope this friend bought you another handle of one variety or another- be it wood or liquid...

Back