Damascus 280 Sujihiki WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok finally i have a little progress to announce. I have the handle in various stages of glue up and am hoping to get it all glued up into one solid piece this weekend. I will try to get some pics up later tonight, so you guys can laugh at what little i have done so far:O

It's like a daily thing for me to check the progress of this knife. :bat:

Wow! I just looked over this thread for the first time. What a knife man! Don't know how I missed this one. I too will be seriously glued to this thread.

Nice work, Mike. How long has that ox horn been drying?

This may turn out to be the coolest kitchen knife ever! Musk Ox and Damascus!!!

I am hoping so Daniel lol. Joe, the slabs were cut about 2 years ago. They are as dry and stable as they are going to get right now lol. I had my wife brainstorming on this with me and i think we have it figured out...Expect to see this one finished real soon...If not it will drive me insane.

I can't wait to see this handle done.Mike have you tried shaping the handle in a cold environment,I really like working wood/metal when my garage is below freezing.

Yeah...been about 25 degrees in my shop...Honestly seems to make it better lol

Looks complicated. If horn shrinks, you will have a lot of sharp edge exposed (happens on my handles w/metal spacers all the time during winter months) and second, you got to go very careful shaping that horn so you don't burn it.

Nevertheless, I applaud your effort.

M

Yeah...been about 25 degrees in my shop...Honestly seems to make it better lol

Thats sarcasm, right? Its about 10 degrees in my wood shed I have two space heater cranking and it is still miserable. And January is colder.

Thats sarcasm, right? Its about 10 degrees in my wood shed I have two space heater cranking and it is still miserable. And January is colder.

I am being serious.I did a Wa with a metal spacer that was just butt jointed.If I tried to shape it in the summer it would have blown apart in thirty seconds.When I shaped it in 28* I could hardly get the metal spacer warm.

I'm sure you will nail it Mike! One day I will work with some Musk Ox horn, it is the coolest stuff.

I hear you on the cold shop, yesterday the high was 6F, not pleasant but my kydex is grinding well!

Keep it up!

It is getting there...I swear. I work on it inside at night so the materials are not sitting out in my garage.....I promise, as soon as this project i am working on right now is done, i am finishing this one...Wife told me i had to

Ok, i have been slacking on this project. I was unsure of how to get this one to work out, but it is a go again. I have the ferrule assembly drilled and fitted to the blade now and just have a little bit of trimming to do on the horn before final glue up.Took quite a but if work to get this thing all flowing in the right direction, but here are a few pics of where this is at right now. I am heading out to get lunch and groceries( i should NEVER go grocery shopping hungry...extra $100 every time) but plan on getting it all final glued when i get back. I am really hoping to get the handle shaped tonight. I did some regrinding on the blade, to add in a bit more distal taper, but i think i am going to do some more later today.
2012-02-20_11-51-35_306.jpg

2012-02-20_11-51-48_923.jpg

Hoping to keep this project rolling along at a good pace...What do you guys think so far?

Mike

Looks good! Have you considered JB Weld? It is tempreature stable to near 600F. Down side is its color. It can be dyed.

Thanks Pierre!!! That is a great idea....Never thought of that. I am taking it slowly and praying lol

Ok so i finally( after much harrassment, ) made some progress on this. I need to etch the spine and spacers, put in the copper corby bolts, fix the swept heel and make the saya and box, but this one is pretty much done(pretty much :) ) Waiting for a bunch of SS damascus blade to come back from HT, so this one is definitely getting finished tonight :)
P1030859.jpg

P1030857.jpg

P1030853.jpg

P1030850.jpg

Will get better pics later :)

Thanks plan on finishing the baby up tonight:doublethumbsup:

Great stuff, Mike! Glad to see it is finally done. Even better, it was worth the wait!

Funny, I need to add this - I remember where I was when I saw the first petty you posted here. I thought, "this guy gets it"! Thanks for making me look smart...to myself....

Back