Damascus Gyuto with walnut burl.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Heres on I managed to finish up this week. :juggle:

The Blade steel is forged by Randy Jr. A pattern we call "Reverb"
Full blended grinds, and walnut burl handles..

Specs.

OAL: 362mm or 14 1/4"
Blade: 230mm or 9"
heignt 57mm
thickness at spine above heel 2.70mm
Handle 5 1/8" Walnut burl.
Black vulconized fiber spacers.
single mosaic pin set between to stainless fasteners.

Thanks for looking and as always comments and critiques welcomed.

WIP, and Damascus chef knife pics 045.jpg

WIP, and Damascus chef knife pics 033.jpg

WIP, and Damascus chef knife pics 127.jpg

WIP, and Damascus chef knife pics 116.jpg

WIP, and Damascus chef knife pics 099.jpg

AMP01

Reaction score
Randy,

That looks SWEEEEET !!! I love everything about this knife ~ from the handle to the COOL pattern of the blade ~ Just Awesome!

Keep up the Great work.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Looks really good. What do you mean by "full, blended grinds?"

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
AMPO1 Thank you very much for the kind comments. :)

tk59. Thanks, I will do my best to explain what they are as well as why I do it this way.
The grinds are basically flat grinds that are then blended together adding convexity to the face. of the blade. Its subtle yet very noticeable when cutting sticky veggies.
I do it this way, because if I just do a convex grind, I often loose material at the spine and the blade is left to FAT behind the edge. Where by doing full grinds, then blending them. I get a nice thin edge and good food release. Hope this makes sense?

I also have NO plunge lines on this knife, This is the second knife I have done without them. It is a clean look and I like it for knives that dont have a bolster. But I think I will continue to do the plunge lines on the knives I add bolsters to. As it adds to the look and flow of the knife in my opinion.

Thanks again for checking out my work. Please let me know what you think, I am always trying to learn. and feedback from you guys has been invaluable to me. Thank you.

God Bless
Randy

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation, Randy. I think I understand everything except for why it's easier to get a thin edge this way. Nevertheless, if it works, that's all that matters.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
Looks Fantastic:thumbsup: I also love the "mansize" handle.

mr drinky

Founding Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a fine blade, but I have to ask how long it took to come up with the triple H pin? That's an elaborate touch.

k.

PierreRodrigue

Founding Member
Reaction score
Randy, those "H's" in your signature pin is sweet! Love it. Wish I could get a bearpaw, or a fancy scriptic "R" Well done on the knife!

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
That is a fine blade, but I have to ask how long it took to come up with the triple H pin? That's an elaborate touch.

k.
Thank you sir.. As far as the pin, I have many of them,, ranging from 1/8" to 3/8 " Some with a single H others with all 3 H's in the pin. even a lanyard pin.. Just started using them this month. :)

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Randy, those "H's" in your signature pin is sweet! Love it. Wish I could get a bearpaw, or a fancy scriptic "R" Well done on the knife!
I had these custom made.. Im not sure if they can make one with a paw or a R but if you would like there info PM me and Ill forward it to you Pierre.

Thanks for checking out my work. :D