Damascus Steel Knife to Celebrate PhD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, JNS has a sale right now, last day - you get 10% off.

They have Tanaka Damascus (210 and 240) and also 210 Toyama

Last weekend a friend came to my place and went over my knives. He said the Yoshikane SLD black dammy is the best looker I have. Better than my Shig Kitaeji and Toyama damascus. The second best he chose is a Yoshikane Hammered ktip with a burnt chestnut handle. I might gift the ktip to him one day…

Last weekend a friend came to my place and went over my knives. He said the Yoshikane SLD black dammy is the best looker. Better than Shig Kitaeji and Toyama damascus. The second best he chose is a Yoshikane Hammered ktip with a burnt chestnut handle.

He is a Yoshikane fan! I have never tried their knives, but have only heard great things about them. Wonder where I should start?

He is a Yoshikane fan! I have never tried their knives, but have only heard great things about them. Wonder where I should start?
You could go straight to SLD dammy, although the performance of the hammered or najishi lines are pretty similar. I would recommend SKD or SLD and avoiding white 2. Not that their white 2 is not good. Just you’ve had too many white steels.

The three yoshis I’ve had are all great cutters. Like the ultimate version of lasers. Similar to Fujiyamas cutting feeling with a little better food release (especially the SLD one). The only thing you might not like is they are not very tall (49-50 for a 240) and the profile could be too flat.

Last edited:
Congrats on your doctorate! That's some serious dedication there.

The knife recommendations seem pretty well sorted. Nothing you are likely to choose will be any less then the best knife you've used. I would tend to recommend 240mm over 210mm, with the caveat that there are often large differences in edge length between "240mm" and "240mm" knives. I have 240's where the actual edge length is as short as 225, and where the edge length is over 250. Most sites and sellers will happily give you the real lengths.

I have no issue at all brunoising garlic or floret-ing broccoli and cauliflower with a 240, but it's almost impossible to deal with large produce with too-small a knife.

I believe I've seen this being suggested already but Fredrik Spare is worth a look.

You could go straight to SLD dammy, although the performance of the hammered or najishi lines are pretty similar. I would recommend SKD or SLD and avoiding white 2. Not that their white 2 is not good. Just you’ve had too many white steels.

The three yoshis I’ve had are all great cutters. Like the ultimate version of lasers. Similar to Fujiyamas cutting feeling with a little better food release (especially the SLD one). The only thing you might not like is they are not very tall (49-50 for a 240) and the profile could be too flat.

This is really helpful- thanks 🙏

Thanks tons - very helpful

Back