Damasteel?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends how you classify good/overprice/overrated. The steel itself will perform similar to RWL-34, which is also basically CPM154 which is a good all around powdered metallurgy steel, one of the most simple ones around. Will take a good keen edge, it's decently tough, and edge retention will be good, but nothing to write home about. Will have a little less retention than SG2/R2, but be a little tougher.

It is very pricey though. I bought some for a custom project, depending on length/thickness/pattern, can be 10-20 bucks an inch. If you really value the aesthetics and don't mind paying more, it's decent.

So would you use it in your kitchen?
Sure. I have 1095+15n20 damascus and damasteel will definitely hold an edge longer than that as long as the heat treat is good. If you like how it looks and don't mind the premium, go for it. If you want more edge retention, go for an SG2 damascus clad knife, or ZDP if you don't mind sacrificing toughness. Damasteel will serve you well though, just pricey and isn't a star in any one particular categories.

I think Damasteel is beautiful and should perform well. Certainly on the expensive side.
I recently bought a knife that I consider stunningly beautiful (and definitely expensive). Happy to have it in my collection.
The value of aesthetics is a highly personal and subjective matter and depends a lot on the individual's tastes and financial situation.

I agree with everything jedy617 & toddnmd have said - this material is (IMO) chosen for the esthetics since there are certainly others that are as good, if not better, from a knife material properties standpoint (AEB-L, CPM154, etc.) ... having said that Damasteel is very well regarded and (FWIW) I use a variety of damasteel blades from various makers (Dalman, Halcyon, Tansu, Mareko, etc.) and they all hold up extremely well albeit in a home kitchen with hi-soft boards ... plus they are (each in there own way) works of functional art. I even have an oyster shucker ... full disclosure - I don't pry with it / for that I use a more abusive taking carbon steel.

I agree with everything jedy617 & toddnmd have said - this material is (IMO) chosen for the esthetics since there are certainly others that are as good, if not better, from a knife material properties standpoint (AEB-L, CPM154, etc.) ... having said that Damasteel is very well regarded and (FWIW) I use a variety of damasteel blades from various makers (Dalman, Halcyon, Tansu, Mareko, etc.) and they all hold up extremely well albeit in a home kitchen with hi-soft boards ... plus they are (each in there own way) works of functional art. I even have an oyster shucker ... full disclosure - I don't pry with it / for that I use a more abusive taking carbon steel.
I have had a few pocket knives in damasteel but never a chef. Would love one from Mert, but again super pricey

Mert is great to work with ... given his background his grinds are really top notch. The knife he made me really is both stunning and great on the board ... fwiw ... can't say enough about that guy!

Sorry to the OP ...

I think Damasteel is beautiful and should perform well. Certainly on the expensive side.
I recently bought a knife that I consider stunningly beautiful (and definitely expensive). Happy to have it in my collection.
The value of aesthetics is a highly personal and subjective matter and depends a lot on the individual's tastes and financial situation.
Do you want to post a pic of your damasteel blade...
you teaser you

Your wish is my command ... left to right on the hisoft ... Maumasi, Tansu, Halcyon, Dalman and Lundström (shucker - love the little saya & blade overall)

IMG_5112.JPG
IMG_5117.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG

Damasteel is expensive, because it is expensive to make. To my knowledge it is the only poweder-metallurgy damascus ( mean combination of 2 different steels here - let's avoid the semantics) steel that is NOT made via forgewelding. This means that the quality is very hight and defects are very rare.

I only made 2 knives so far from Damasteel and can only say that it is a dream to work with. Fairly easy to cut and grind (it comes very well annealed) and also reasonably easy to hand sand (no comparison to stuff like Niolox) to a smooth finish - even at the upper limit of usable HRC range (around 64 for the RWL34 and 60 for the PMC27 components)

Back