Danny Owen AKA Zwiefel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1453755953.768801.jpg

He loved animals of all sorts.

I'm so saddened to see this.

I really, really enjoyed his contributions here. His in-depth write-ups allowed me to enjoy his cooking "projects" vicariously I never met nor had the opportunity to interact with him, but I always thought that he would be an absolutely awesome next-door neighbor.

Rest peacefully, Danny.

Surprised and saddened by the news.

A few years ago, a forum member started a knife company. He took orders, but trouble hit, and he was unable to fulfill the orders. Devin T and Will C put together an effort to get the orders done. Out of this Zwiefel took on a role that got larger and larger. He picked up the knifes and materials. They were terribly disorganized, so he worked with other members to cataloge them. Once everthing was sorted out, he spent time shipping the knifes out to diferent makers so they could be finished.

The effort to take a bad situation and make it right was one of the finest moments of the forum, and Zwiefel played a large role in it. HIs character as a stand up guy really shows through in the thread, which can still be found in Will Catchsides vendor forum. It is worth a read.

Jay

It's taken me a little while to come to terms with this. Having known Danny because of this forum, but also meeting in person.........damn he was such a good guy.
He was, by far, the best of us. Always the voice of reason amongst the mods and members.
He epitomized the true definition of the "Contributor" badge. From his PIF donations, to his driving to DFW to pick up the pieces from the Eamon debacle.........never asking for a thing in return.
We are all better for having known him, and missing a key piece of our collective fabric without him.

This pic is from a few years ago when he and his(then) wife visited us. He also came and ate at the restaurant I was at.
We made so much sushi(his 1st time), that we had to plastic wrap my counter top to be able to accommodate it all.
Danny brought a few bottles of sake. I still have 2 of them. I'm going to have a sushi party in his honor this Saturday to celebrate his life and premature death.......
.......I'm gonna crack open and polish off those bottles of sake. I had planned on saving them for his return visit.
Too soon my friend, too soon.
Damn.
Anybody in my neck of the woods is invited to join.

Nice write up. I like the bit about being the 'self-proclaimed expert on everything'. I'd thought he was a bit older, but turns out we're the same age.

I heard about Danny's passing from Jon Broida yesterday.

Peace be with you, Danny.

Hi all. I'm Danny's roommate. He loved this forum so much!! I'm crushed, but he started me down the knife path, and now I have to continue without him. He admired so many of you, and was passionate about this forum. Thanks!!

Very scary! Life is crazy ahort.

May you find eternal peace...

I havent contributed much here as of late, and Danny periodically checked in with me via social media. Always assumed we would meet someday. Damn...

Hi all. I'm Danny's roommate. He loved this forum so much!! I'm crushed, but he started me down the knife path, and now I have to continue without him. He admired so many of you, and was passionate about this forum. Thanks!!

Welcome Elfen! Sorry about the circumstances, but so glad to have you here.

Welcome Elfen! Sorry about the circumstances, but so glad to have you here.

Thanks so much. This was a knowledge haven for him. If it's good enough for Danny it's way too good for me!! [emoji4]

Yeah, I just remembered that he wanted to come to New Orleans and do some more charcuterie stuff. This is a real ******* shame.

It's taken me a little while to come to terms with this. Having known Danny because of this forum, but also meeting in person.........damn he was such a good guy.
He was, by far, the best of us. Always the voice of reason amongst the mods and members.
He epitomized the true definition of the "Contributor" badge. From his PIF donations, to his driving to DFW to pick up the pieces from the Eamon debacle.........never asking for a thing in return.
We are all better for having known him, and missing a key piece of our collective fabric without him.

This pic is from a few years ago when he and his(then) wife visited us. He also came and ate at the restaurant I was at.
We made so much sushi(his 1st time), that we had to plastic wrap my counter top to be able to accommodate it all.
Danny brought a few bottles of sake. I still have 2 of them. I'm going to have a sushi party in his honor this Saturday to celebrate his life and premature death.......
.......I'm gonna crack open and polish off those bottles of sake. I had planned on saving them for his return visit.
Too soon my friend, too soon.
Damn.
Anybody in my neck of the woods is invited to join.

If I wasn't up here in the far corner of the union I'd gladly help you polish off those bottles Chris. I'm glad you had the opportunity to meet him and share some time together.

Yeah, Knyfe. I wish I could come drain that Sake and eat some sushi. If any sake is left, let me know and I may try make a trip another time.

And here is another pic of Danny from the gathering last February.

k.

16426148110_6121c241a0_o-2.jpg

I just learned about Danny's passing, and like everyone here felt like I took a punch in the gut. I never met him, but always loved reading his posts and enjoyed our correspondence with one another. He truly will be missed.

I've been reading Danny's posts for a few years now. I always enjoyed them immensely. A significant loss to both this forum and humanity. I'm stunned and very saddened.

Here's raising a Shig to you, Zwiefel.

J

Goddammit, he just came to see me a few months ago, just sent me a picture of the Chile pepper whiskey I made that he was sharing with friends. Was so happy to get the house all squared away. We talked about our past and some of our plans for the future. You will be missed brother. He never said, anything about health issues. Damn! Damn! Damn!

So sad. Real really loved his contribution to this community

Really bummed about this. Danny was a heck of a guy and added a lot to this community. He and I had tried to meet up a couple of times when we were travelling but our schedules were always slightly off. We had talked more than a few times when he was going through his divorce and while I could tell he was hurting, he was always so positive about bouncing back. I was just getting prepped to make some venison sausage recently and he and I had a great conversation about charcuterie. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

oh no!!

i've been on a 10 day camping trip..RIP.

i'm relatively new around here..he wast that old, right? i dont know much about him, except from his post :(

my thoughts are with is family and friends.

He will definitely be missed. Great guy that left us too early. Hope he is resting peacefully.

RIP you were always good to talk to and have made many amazing suggestions that have aided me in my knife journey and provided great culinary insight.

You will be missed.

My condolences to all you guys and his family & friends. Always tragic when someone passes way before their time.

Condolences, what a loss. Always appreciated his contributions to the community.

RIP.

Back