Dark Beef Stock for French Onion Soup

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

Reaction score
Do you use a roasting pan first and then transfer to the pressure cooker?
Stock making with me is more like sharpening, it's just something I do all the time when it needs doing. I don't get obsessive over it.

Mostly, the bones come off roasts. I usuallly char some fresh veg (often by sauteing in the pot) and roast any raw bones/meat (sometimes, not always). I'm mostly making stock as a cooking ingredient, not to stand alone. Sometimes I do the whole shebang, but not too often.

M1k3

Taking the piss since 1980
Reaction score
If you have veggie stock on hand, that'd be good to add to over reduced stock, instead of water.

Reaction score
11 means it’s a November batch. Lots of bones around thanksgiving. If it’s made from one principal ingredient ie, capon, etc I label it specifically. if it’s made from a mixed bag of bones it’s just called stock. I’ll probably use 4-5 of these over the course of a week

the label maker is fiddly to label a dozen little containers (I hate the tape backing) but I won’t ever give it up. Makes the whole process feel like you have an easy to use product as the end result.

I gave one of those label makers to an ex gf as a housewarming present. I had the distinct feeling that if I ever gave her something that thoughtful when we dated we’d still be together.

Last edited:
Reaction score
+1 to RickB's pressure cooker (IMO / better yield, considerably shorter time, clearer stock, etc. - broth or stock)

FWIW / I also "freeze" in the plastic containers but after the stock is frozen I remove it and a vac seal ... a quick dunk in hot water releases them very easily and then the shape is maintained. My chest freezer looks remarkably similar to Rick's ...

I will have to keep my eye out for any local domino throwing butchers to make friends with ... LOL ...