DARTO carbon steel pan review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a video showing the real-time searing performance of the OG Darto No 27 when paired with an Iwatani 35FW portable butane burner. I used a Darto No 15 as a grill press.

how did the steak come out? cool video.

i bought that stove for a friend just recently. never heard if he used it or not. i want one for myself for picnic hotpot events.

This is a video showing the real-time searing performance of the OG Darto No 27 when paired with an Iwatani 35FW portable butane burner. I used a Darto No 15 as a grill press.

Unironically I think this is how I've used my Demeyere Proline 24 the most; as a grill press while searing something in my Proline 28. :D
I wished Darto made more stuff in 4mm thickness...they'd be awesome for this. And barely any more expensive than what they charge for that chef's press here.

how did the steak come out? cool video.

i bought that stove for a friend just recently. never heard if he used it or not. i want one for myself for picnic hotpot events.

The steak is still cooking. I don’t know when I’ll end up eating it, but it’ll be real soon.

DSC05036.jpeg

That Iwatani burner is something every KKFer could benefit from. I got it to use with clay pots, but the ability to have a powerful burner anywhere quickly makes the 35FW indispensable. Great for searing, camping, tailgating, or when the power goes out. It’s so very nice to be able to go cook fish (or whatever) outdoors and not have it stink up your home.
Unironically I think this is how I've used my Demeyere Proline 24 the most; as a grill press while searing something in my Proline 28. :D
I wished Darto made more stuff in 4mm thickness...they'd be awesome for this. And barely any more expensive than what they charge for that chef's press here.

haha, i love using pans as presses. In retrospect, I should have used my no 25, but the itty bitty 15 did a great job. As far as the 4mm stuff goes, I’m with you but I don’t really miss the extra millimeter when the searing performance is this good. But I’d like to experience the difference that the extra mass makes.

Darto has a presale on 4mm 25 and 27 cm pans if anyone is interested. The extra thickness is nice when you're looking for a carbon steel pan for doing meat.

Darto has a presale on 4mm 25 and 27 cm pans if anyone is interested. The extra thickness is nice when you're looking for a carbon steel pan for doing meat.
Nice! But, man, 2.35 kg (5.18 lb)! I guess it's perfect if you need to lose weight and want a workout :)

That's basically the same as a 28 cm Proline. Not ideal for veggie saute where you want to be tossing food around, but for meat it's fine; usually you aren't doing much more than slightly tilting the pan anyway.

I got the 4mm 30 pan last year on Sale . I like the extra surface compared to the 28 demeyere which is my "daily driver". Darto is around 3,2kg so fair amount more than Demyere but it doesn't make a difference for me when I don't use the Darto for tossing stuff.

Not to be an enabler but if you truly want maximum surface you should get the 35... ;)

It might even do half-decent as a baking steel or for baking pizzas? Just thinking out loud...

I want a 30cm paella, but they don't make one, I don't think. I wish the sides were a bit taller on the paellas as well. Be a perfect dutch baby/pan pizza/roaster implement.

Love the 4mm n30 pan last year and use it for just about all the meat we cook, love that you can just toss it in the oven. I want the 25mm but I literally have no more room for more pans 😅 have to convince the wife to start cooking with it more and get rid of the non stick junk we have.

Oof, dartos have gotten really pricey. They no longer feel as much of a no brains buy as they did before.

I got the 35 paella on the last presale, which is a lot more material than the current pans, for 50 bucks. I love that thing. But it’s 150 now and I wouldn’t pick it up at that price, it’s too industrial of a product to warrant the cost.

They’re now approaching the cost of a pan like the matter bourgeoise which you can get from restaurant supply stores for 70-80.

Don’t get me wrong I’d probably still spring for the 27mm paella if they run it in 4mm as well at decent presale pricing, to semi permanently live on the control freak as an egg and protein pan. Long handles are super annoying on pans for induction since you aren’t moving the pan.

I’d probably still spring for the 27mm paella if they run it in 4mm as well at decent presale pricing
Details of the current presale, maybe paella next run

Pre-sale on special models,

Sautes pan n.27 and n.25 in 4 mm thickness!

Dear customers and new friends,

Starting today, February 15th, we are launching a presale for two special models: a 27 cm frying pan with a thickness of 4 millimeters, and also, our 25 cm frying pan with the same feature.

This limited edition presale aims to offer our best-selling products with 25% more thickness, which gives even greater thermal inertia than our traditional models.

Some of you may be familiar with the 27 cm pan in this format from a couple of years ago. Additionally, and for the first time, we will also be offering the 25 cm model with this thickness.

For those who have not ordered during one of our pre-sales yet, it consists that these particular models purchased now will be manufactured over the next few months.

We expect to deliver all orders between May 15th and June 15th.

Shipping policy will stay as usual: it is a flat USD 15 rate per order. For those countries that have customs taxes, they will be on our behalf.

If by any chance we can manufacture them earlier, as we have done in the past, we will be glad to start shipping with anticipation. We will notify you with an email if this occurs.

There is a stock limit of 200 units per model.

We hope you enjoy using these new limited-edition pans!

Last edited:
After having it in use for a while now I have to say I really like the paella 35 as a roasting pan / oven pan. If they ever start making 'regular' roasting pans they're probably worth looking into. Or maybe they should just make a square paella!

Back