Quantcast

Dave Cole Memorial knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank you, It was a honor to make this knife. and it will be added to a small collection of DC knives and displayed proudly.

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
The handle is a combination of brass and amber spacers with mammoth tooth and curly maple.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
Beautiful workmanship on this one, Randy. Wondering about the amber: is that the 'artificial amber material' you get from the usual suppliers or the real deal - copal or amber? I always thought about using amber but don't know whether it needs lapidary tools to work it.

Stefan

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Stephan. The piece came to me and was called Amber. But after sanding and shaping this piece. I believe its the man made stuff. not natural.

It was a very interesting challenge to sand these materials . The amber is much softer and easy to sand and the brass a little harder and the mammoth is very hard. Making sanding them even and uniform a real challenge to say the least.. :)

Thanks Stephan for the complement on the knife. I appreciate hearing that from another artisan and creftsman like yourself!

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
Dave was a knifemaker, a leather bender extraordinaire and a really nice guy. A fitting tribute, sir! :doublethumbsup:

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks jm,
I did my best to make a piece worthy.. Dave was a great guy. and will be missed. Your description of Dave is perfect.. :)

HHH Knives

Founding Member
Reaction score
Here is one of Dave's knives. That I sort of based the memorial knife off of!!

And here's a little better pic of the one I did.

DC memorial knife 138.jpg