Dave Martell - Hard Felt Deburring Block and Stropping Pad

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use both as well as the 3um diamond spray. What questions do you have? They are very good at what they do, felt is also very forgiving as a stropping base

I use the deburring block. I've tried some cork, scouring pad and wood too but the deburring block seems to gives me the best/most consistent result so far(I've sharpened about a year)

I've just started to use the felt strop and the result is a bit bitier than hard plain leather that I used the most. I feel that the felt isnt as critical with the stropping technique than the leather for me.

I’ve never had much luck loading felt with diamond spray. I use leather for that. As far as having bare felt strops to help with a stubborn burr, i’m all for it. Leather with diamond spray is my preferred method to help bring an edge back. Could of been a mistake I made but when I spoke with eitan? (I think that’s his name, I can’t remember right now) of Phoenix Knife House, he told me he only uses felt for burrs. He said he just never found anything like a loaded leather strop when it comes to bringing your edge back. When he said that I gave up on the diamond with felt. Still have some felt and wouldn’t mind making an extra strop for work. Maybe i’ll try again.

I use the frlt strop loaded with diamond frequently. It works very well. Once you get used to it, it actually gives a bit of feedback.

I use the deburring block. I've tried some cork, scouring pad and wood too but the deburring block seems to gives me the best/most consistent result so far
My experience too.
I think the idea of deburring by pulling through anything makes some folks (especially razor folks) cringe, but I am far from that level of purism...

My experience too.
I think the idea of deburring by pulling through anything makes some folks (especially razor folks) cringe, but I am far from that level of purism...
Yes, I've had few good moments with stone deburring but far too inconsistent results so far.

I use both as well as the 3um diamond spray. What questions do you have? They are very good at what they do, felt is also very forgiving as a stropping base
First of all, I have no experience with felt, how durable is such a block? I know that it depends on the usage and is difficult to answer. But with regular use, let's say 1-2 knives a day, how long can you use the block before you have to replace it?

I normally deburr with edge leading strokes with good results, now and then I also use a bare leather for deburring.

I am interested in the two felt solutions for 2 reasons ..

Once out of curiosity, maybe it is the better method and on top of that I sometimes (rarely) have a stubborn butt where I have problems with my current method. In the end it works, but I would like to reduce the effort involved.

Do you think that the felt solutions would be helpful in this case?

I use the frlt strop loaded with diamond frequently. It works very well. Once you get used to it, it actually gives a bit of feedback.
Thanks Nemo. I’ll give it another shot. Do you usually spray the same amount on as leather? Or do you load it a little more? I usually do like three sprays for leather. Maybe I over loaded the first felt strop I did. I think I sprayed more than 3 times. That could of been the issue.

Thanks Nemo. I’ll give it another shot. Do you usually spray the same amount on as leather? Or do you load it a little more? I usually do like three sprays for leather. Maybe I over loaded the first felt strop I did. I think I sprayed more than 3 times. That could of been the issue.

Ive never stropped on leather. My concern is that the soft, pliable medium will give a different edge angle depending on thre force applied. It should be much easier to match the edge angle on a hard medium.

I think I sprayed 2 layers (maybe 6-8 sprays) on the first time. Next time I refreshed the diamonds (months later), only one layer. Same on subsequent occasions.

First of all, I have no experience with felt, how durable is such a block? I know that it depends on the usage and is difficult to answer. But with regular use, let's say 1-2 knives a day, how long can you use the block before you have to replace it?

I normally deburr with edge leading strokes with good results, now and then I also use a bare leather for deburring.

I am interested in the two felt solutions for 2 reasons ..

Once out of curiosity, maybe it is the better method and on top of that I sometimes (rarely) have a stubborn butt where I have problems with my current method. In the end it works, but I would like to reduce the effort involved.

Do you think that the felt solutions would be helpful in this case?

I've had it a couple years now, sharpening 3-4 knives ~1-2 times a month. still has at least 75% of its life left. 1-2 a day though could be rough. It only really takes 2 or so pulls to clean up nicely, should last at least a year if not 2+.

I don't rely on the felt deburr block to deburr, I still deburr on stone first with a horizontal swipe or edge leading, then felt block and strop to clean it up.

I picked both up, along with 3 micron diamon spray when I took Dave's course a year back. My main gripe is that its extremely sensitive to water. I have had good results prior to both exposure to it. Keeping either your sharpening space or kitchen completely dry is a challenges. Especially when your roommate doesn't quite know how to seal the vitamix 3 margaritas in...

I don't rely on the felt deburr block to deburr, I still deburr on stone first with a horizontal swipe or edge leading, then felt block and strop to clean it up.
I agree- deburring is an involved process, with dragging the edge thrpugh felt or cork neimg only a small step along the way.

I've had it a couple years now, sharpening 3-4 knives ~1-2 times a month. still has at least 75% of its life left. 1-2 a day though could be rough. It only really takes 2 or so pulls to clean up nicely, should last at least a year if not 2+.

Thank you very much, that helps me.

I’ve never had much luck loading felt with diamond spray. I use leather for that. As far as having bare felt strops to help with a stubborn burr, i’m all for it. Leather with diamond spray is my preferred method to help bring an edge back. Could of been a mistake I made but when I spoke with eitan? (I think that’s his name, I can’t remember right now) of Phoenix Knife House, he told me he only uses felt for burrs. He said he just never found anything like a loaded leather strop when it comes to bringing your edge back. When he said that I gave up on the diamond with felt. Still have some felt and wouldn’t mind making an extra strop for work. Maybe i’ll try again.
I can confirm that Phoenix/Portland knife house used leather not felt strops from when I have been in a purchased knives from them

Back