De Buyer or Paderno?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can't really differentiate between them, so I need pro/con's

31cmbYUb2oL.jpg

61cGeLitTyL._AA1369_.jpg

so far:

de buyer:

pro: thicker

con: 2x the price

Paderno:

pro: cheaper

con: thinner.

Reason thinner gets into con is due to uneven heating worry. I am looking for a 12-13" Pan.

If you have a 3rd choice for carbon steel pan (I only go carbon steel because I need it to be non-stick, yet get hot enough as cast iron, yet not peel, like non-stick), please bring it up + link me :)

Thanks in advance:)

I love the de buyer pans I'm lucky enough to use at work. You'll give them to your grand kids one day.

The main reason the pro pans are thicker is because of the constant washing. On the back of the pan you have to clean off the soot from gas burners. Other wise you will get uneven cooking. After a few years of this the handle will be heaver than the pan and start to fall over.

Just because something is thin doesn't mean it won't heat evenly. Cast iron actually heats very unevenly. http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/02/16/heavy-metal-the-science-of-cast-iron-cooking/

I'd go with paderno, but there was a whole thread about carbon pans awhile back: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/282-Help-I-HATE-my-omelet-pan-the-steel-pan-thread
Yes, I read it thoroughly but it didn't really give me pro/con's.

The main reason the pro pans are thicker is because of the constant washing. On the back of the pan you have to clean off the soot from gas burners. Other wise you will get uneven cooking. After a few years of this the handle will be heaver than the pan and start to fall over.

I don't see that being an issue I guess... Likely just gonna use it few times a week at most and for home cooked meal, so it wouldn't have the change to thin out.

in a busy kitchen I have seen a pan last a year, some barely even made it then. It also matters how many pans there is in the place. If money isn't a problem then go with the thicker one, and give it to your grand kids that is gonna look at it and say "what a piece..." Most people go with the normal one and still give it to the next gen.

I would buy debuyer. I have two...mineral and carbonne. I've used paderno at work. Very thin. Heats well but have warped (been abused though) the mineral pan from de buyer is better in my opinion. Better hearing, better sear. Great pan $50 on amazon for the 11" when I bought it...don't know now. Polished like old cast iron (Wagner and the like) gets non stick relatively quick.

I have both, I like them both. The debuyer had slightly better F&F.

I can't do a compare, I only have the various sizes of de buyer and love them. The 12 inch is little heavy to flip for me because I am so old. My experience has always been go for the quality; you will end up buying it later anyway. Even the mineral will not heat completely evenly.

I can only comment on the debuyer and will say it is my favorite pan. Sticking is not an issue, nor is warping. Just a note if you go debuyer, the size it states is the top diameter, not the bottom, or actual cooking area. For example a 10 inch debuyer is only 8 inches of cooking surface.

Go with the De buyer or alternatively try the black carbon steel pans on amazon, the 12.5 inch is $34, i have both and the De buyer is definetly better but it is a lot heavier. The black steel is fantastic for heat control it takes seconds to get hot/cold and is totally non stick and get abused to heck with no effect.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KZHF1G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Mineral is more of a consumer product. It has better fit and finish than the carbonne line.

Go with the De buyer or alternatively try the black carbon steel pans on amazon, the 12.5 inch is $34, i have both and the De buyer is definetly better but it is a lot heavier. The black steel is fantastic for heat control it takes seconds to get hot/cold and is totally non stick and get abused to heck with no effect.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KZHF1G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks for the link. I did consider that but it looks even thinner than those 2 options. Looks for me don't matter, performance does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mineral be is a selling gimmick. Its is debuyers way of being green and their answer to the fears associated with non stick coatings in the market. The pans are treated with a bee's wax coatting and a samll bee impresseion in the center of the pans. When that bee is no longer visible the pan should be at its optimal point or broken in. The steels used in mineral b and carbonne plus are the same with exception of the coating and bee impression.

For the record Debuyer also makes a thinner carbon pan like paderno. They call it lyonaise blue steel. In my experience they work well, but are prone to loosing/ loose handles than the haevier carbon plus pans. My educated gusss is because the rivets have less/thinner material to holding them in place.

My vote is for the Debuyer Carbon Plus...No need to spend the extra couple of bucks on the Mineral B if you find the carbon plus

While the picture look different, I have always been under the impression that World Cuisine and Paderno were the same company. Yes? No?

-AJ

While the picture look different, I have always been under the impression that World Cuisine and Paderno were the same company. Yes? No?

-AJ

They are the same company now, but that is recent. World Cuisine was its own thing and was accquired by Paderno. I believe they are part of a group with Sambonnet and Rosenthal.

Back