Deba issues and stone

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skipping I think is a result of too much pressure and/or not enough water/slurry. That said I've run into stones where that occurs much more readily than others, usually finer synthetics, that therefore take more finesse and practice to use on a wide bevel.

Even with a layer of slurry? Do you get black spots where it skips? Swarf might build up into the surface. Take it slowly, make slurry, add water as needed. Clean any spots. Ease the pressure if you can't control everything at once. As the grit gets higher, developing the edge gets much more difficult than people imagine, but also dealing with polishing reveals a lot of consistency problems and surface management (there isn't really a one fix all type of thing here, it's experience and the capacity to adjust or compensate for various things).
The main problem I see is that you are learning on a good knife, that might be "damaged" a bit in the process.

I will add one thing here...while the knife skips/ shutters when moving back and forth on the stone it feels like suction not so much digging in like when you flatten the stone with your leveling plate...did that make sense...it doesnt seem to happen with my yanagiba whichis a wide bevel knife...there seens to be some correlation to the weight of the knife as well...

Seems like there are more things going on. Pretty flat bevel, drying slurry and surface, still too much pressure for these conditions.
Same as before, slurry layer, water, take it slow, ease the pressure (you consider that there is no pressure way to late, by that time, it will stick on its own).

Would you be willing to upload a video where we can see the knife skipping, just so that we can see what is happening?
Ok i will try and put something together...and post it but i am not that technological and live alone only have phone...so may be a few days or so...so i can organise friend to help out with the videoing...

Ok i will try and put something together...and post it but i am not that technological and live alone only have phone...so may be a few days or so...so i can organise friend to help out with the videoing...
Not sure how you are setup. In my kitchen I have a cabinet above my kitchen counter. I place my phone in the cabinet poking out, facing down. Like this

If you have a laptop with a camera, you can record using that. (I notice you said you only have a phone, though.)

Just wanted to say that because I spent a while propping my phone up in weird ways before realizing I could just put my computer on the counter.

Ok guys i have mad a vid of me sharpening on my phone and troed to up load but it tells me the file is to large for the server! I can see anything on my phone that lets me compress edit it so any suggestions appreciated.

Ok guys i have mad a vid of me sharpening on my phone and troed to up load but it tells me the file is to large for the server! I can see anything on my phone that lets me compress edit it so any suggestions appreciated.
Youtube. You can set privacy settings so it's not searchable if you wanted to.

Any other suggestions besides utube...not really my thing!!!...if i make a zip folder can i attach that and if so will it be able to be view by anyone wishing to open it?

Ok ive had a look at google photos but there seems to be no compressing option...im trying to reduce the size of my video so it can be uploaded to the forums server...

Ok im exhausted...i am not technological at all...plus i dont have time for this...i have google photos but i cannot see the pathway to drag videos into it...infact i cant see any reference to videos in google photos and i cant see any pathway to create a link...sorry

If you have the movie on a PC already, drag it into the browser.

If it's just on your phone, from within the app (Google Photos), you will have a "cloud" with an arrow in the right upper corner. Or you could just create a link (lower left corner, the 3 dots connected by lines) and it will be uploaded by default.

Mmm...no cloud with an arrow top right no 3 dots connected by lines in bottom left corner...this seems to be my story with technology

When i open google photos on my phone this is what comes up!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-223952_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-223952_Photos.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 8
Just touch one of them. You should see the following.
Click that and Create link. Should be somewhere in the lower left corner.

*This is already in the cloud, so no cloud icon available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-150723_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-150723_Photos.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 5
After i create link this is the page i get! Where do i press and hold to get the paste function...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-233305_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-233305_Photos.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 3
If i do that i only get clipboard...dont i have to do copy first before i get paste?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201020-233724_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201020-233724_Samsung Internet.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4
Back