Deba No Machi ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ichi

Reaction score
Does anyone have any links to Deba knives that have machi? In my search I can not find one, I really like that look. Any info as to why ?
Thanks for any help :help4:

I don't think I've ever seen one. Even makers that tend to have a machi on the rest of their traditional knives and even their western style knives (wa gyutos, etc.), don't use a machi on their debas, that I have seen. Maybe it has something to do with the knife being used for heavier tasks and the machi is considered a weakness for such work?

I guess I've never noticed that before but now that you say it. I can't recall ever seeing a deba with a machi.

The weakness makes sense, but the blade being so thick I think it would take a-lot to snap it off. I have never seen any but would be nice to know why there made differently.

Maybe, Jon can chime in on this one. I don't think having a machi on a deba would make it weaker. Like you said, they are so thick that I don't think banging on the spine with a little machi would cause the knife to snap in half. Maybe its just how they are traditionally made?

I'm taking a guess: AFAIK the function of the machi is that you can take off the handle for polishing or whatever and each time you put the blade back on the handle it'll slip a tiny bit further into the tang hole. A deba by design has a shape of the tang that allows that without adding any machi.

traditionally deba dont have machi... that being said, i've seen a few that do. For example, Suisin's Ginsanko Momiji Funayuki has a machi... but its a funayuki (a type of deba)... probably not what you're looking for. As far as hon-deba go, having a machi is very uncommon.

Thanks guys :thumbsup2: I was just wondering... seems it did not take too many licks to get to the bottom of this one.:razz:

The highest level blue steel line from Ichimonji have machi.

Back