Deburring on soft metal

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had an annoying burr after thinning a white 2 iron clad gyuto. I had a soft stainless bowl nearby and super gently ran the wire edge on it. Then I sharpened with light pressure and the burr came off really cleanly. I repeated this process a couple times and finished with stropping. I got a really crispy edge, and I think its the nicest edge I've gotten so far, and this is on a Shapton 1k. Test was shredding cabbage.

I've tried cutting into wood and other stuff, but I think this works because it folds the wire edge over immediately. I tried the edge joining technique too but I didn't like it, as it didn't seem to work for me. Edge leading strokes was what I had also tried before to get off stubborn burrs. Scrubby side of the sponge too.

. . . does anyone want to try it too?

I haven't tried it. I always have cheap stainless laying around. Are you breadknifing it on the soft steel or approaching from a sharpening angle?

What works best for me is stropping on a split leather paddle and then going back to about a 1k stone and doing a few high angle edge leading strokes. Like maybe 25 degrees per side. This is about the same angle I would use for steeling a soft stainless knife.

I made a light cut on the soft stainless. I haven't tried a sharpening angle yet, but I will. I did use to do really high angle edge leading strokes too when I was experimenting with other stuff.

Latest posts

Back