Dec 5th, 2011 - New SFGZ Carters!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is this the same steel as in the HG, just a different handle?

Yes, and the finish on the blade is a bit different. A little more rustic, although, some say better.

So is this the same steel as in the HG, just a different handle?

Yes, either white or blue, depending, but the same steel. The hammer marks on the sides of the blade are not pollshed out, though, which, along with the handle, explains the difference in price.

I like that 6.1 sun (184mm) Fukugozai Honesuki.

I've got a SFGZ honesuki, and it just seems fragile(due to it's thinness compared to my hattori honesuki) and the lack of a pointy tip makes it slightly more awkward for me. As an all round small knife though the thing rocks

I imagined that would be the case. Not as durable or a workhorse as a regular honesuki, more like a more useful petty (like Lefty's Pierre).

Why are the neck knives so much more expensive than the kitchen knives?

Is it me or is the 6.4 sun look a bit small. Think it might be mislabeled and actually a 5.4

Thanks, well we'll see - customs here can be a PITA!!!

they sure can, and now they have to check 2 packets from Mr Carter, hope the customs are having Christmas holliday :)

Nice :)

However my money is going to Burke and Marko. I really love Carter, only cons I have on his knives are fit and finish, handle and edge retention. But everything else is really great. But having 7 Markos, 3 Pierres and 4 Burkes on the way, I now how to stop for a while. There must be an end to all this insanity.

However my money is going to Burke and Marko. I really love Carter, only cons I have on his knives are fit and finish, handle and edge retention. But everything else is really great. But having 7 Markos, 3 Pierres and 4 Burkes on the way, I now how to stop for a while. There must be an end to all this insanity.

C'mon Ø, buy some more knifes - you need them :D

dude - im a home chef ;)

Anyway. I love Carter and I suspect these beauties to sell really fast. Carter is a great blade smith, one of the best IMO. I put him amoung top 4 US makers atm.

However my money is going to Burke and Marko.

You mean some of your money is going to Burke and Marko, surely not all of it. There are some orphan knives out there just waiting for a good home like yours Oivind. You think about that, then revisit that Carter link, and do the right thing. ;)

In all seriousness, 7 Markos, 3 Pierres, and 4 Burkes is insane. It's possible you need professional help.

Does Stoltenberg know that you are sending all the oil money out of the country ? :) home chef, damn, im a working chef and never have time to use all mine knives.

Carter sold 6 knifes since this was posted :shocked3:

I couldn't agree more!

anyone else thinking about getting one?

who got the other 4?

Back