Decent sautee pan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm looking for advice on some pans. I'm a student so I'm painfully low on cash and on space.
I want something to use both as a skillet and as a pot to cook in (I'm alone so even when I'm cooking in a big batch a standard sized sautee pan is enough)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a half decent stainless sautee pan? I live in the Netherlands btw, Amazon isn't an option. No luck on the second hand market, so if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Sitram pro 3.3L, 24cm inox disc bottom = unbelieveable value. $50USD

Hey guys. I'm looking for advice on some pans. I'm a student so I'm painfully low on cash and on space.
I want something to use both as a skillet and as a pot to cook in (I'm alone so even when I'm cooking in a big batch a standard sized sautee pan is enough)
Does anyone have any suggestions for a half decent stainless sautee pan? I live in the Netherlands btw, Amazon isn't an option. No luck on the second hand market, so if anyone has any other suggestions I'm all ears.
Why stainless?
Have a look at Amazon.de
Seriously, I would consider the simplest De Buyer carbon steel, La Lyonnaise series IIRC. €25.

Last edited:
IKEA is likely to be your best bet. They have a whole lot of stainless steel cookware, often at very good prices. Quality is usually good, if not stellar.

Last edited:
Lots of acid and long stewing, and easier to take care of. Also debuyers aren't that cheap are they? Most of their deep pans I've seen are around 70 euros (if you were talking about the mineral b ones that is)

Lots of acid and long stewing, and easier to take care of. Also debuyers aren't that cheap are they? Most of their deep pans I've seen are around 70 euros (if you were talking about the mineral b ones that is)
The Mineral B are indeed much more expensive than La Lyonnaise. It was my understanding that you were looking for short contact, not for stewing.

Don't use carbon steel for stewing. That's not a good idea. Get stainless or enamel.

Demeyere saute pan with lid, on sale on zwilling for $100, dont know if that price is available in Europe though.

I think a good 3 to 5 ply stainless saute pan with a lid for a bit more than you are willing to spend is easily the most flexible pan that will last forever.

I bought one of these about ten years ago. It still gets more use than much more expensive name brand stuff.
Thunder Group is a Chinese or maybe Taiwanese company that makes decent pots and pans. You can find them at most restaurant supply stores. It's rugged and commercial quality and cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CRLL2G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited:
I bought one of these about ten years ago. It still gets more use than much more expensive name brand stuff.
Thunder Group is a Chinese or maybe Taiwanese company that makes decent pots and pans. You can find them at most restaurant supply stores. It's rugged and commercial quality and cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006CRLL2G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I bought a thunder group brazier (rondeau) for my son's house, it was a great deal for a quite good pan. Not as nice as Sitram.

I feel like there must be some kitchenpotsandpansforums.com somewhere, right? These things can last forever so I'd think they'd make a good secondary market; however, maybe shipping issues make it prohibitive.

You should take a good look at the Cuisinart French Classic line. I LOVE mine and have being buying pieces for the past 18 months building up the collection. Great handles, nice lids, induction ready and really good heat transfer characteristics. Exceptional quality for the price. Been picking up mine from vendors on Ebay. Made in France.

Here's an example of a big saute pan
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=273596150679

And this is an amazing combo deal. Saucepan is not coated.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=233034199896

Last edited:
I love cooking but anything more than 50 bucks is pointless. So Ikea it is !
I have a bunch of Ikea kitchen gadgets kicking around. A potato ricer, garlic press, some stainless steel bowls, a cutting board, table cutlery, non-stick fry pan, plus probably some others that I can't remember right now. None of them has let me down, and all of them have seen lots of use. Not the best quality you can buy, maybe, but outstanding value for money. I strongly suspect that you won't be disappointed.

I have a bunch of Ikea kitchen gadgets kicking around. A potato ricer, garlic press, some stainless steel bowls, a cutting board, table cutlery, non-stick fry pan, plus probably some others that I can't remember right now. None of them has let me down, and all of them have seen lots of use. Not the best quality you can buy, maybe, but outstanding value for money. I strongly suspect that you won't be disappointed.

I sometimes buy stuff from IKEA when it is really top quality (some of their products are, but most are not). Take the SENSUELL line of cookware, equivalent to ALL-CLAD in nearly every way and about 1/4 of the price. I have all of the skillets in that line: 24, 28 and 32cm. The 24cm 3-litre sauce pan in the same range would be my choice if I were starting and could only afford one piece of cookware: you can easily fry and saute in it, as well as cooking / reducing sauces.

There it is, 35 EUR.

sensuell-paistokasari-harmaa__0390734_PE559459_S4.JPG

I sometimes buy stuff from IKEA when it is really top quality (some of their products are, but most are not).
Agree. It's not all great. Some of the furniture is outstanding, but much of it is mediocre.

But it is very rare for it to be bad, at least when it comes to kitchen gear. I don't recall anything I bought from Ikea for my kitchen (things such as pans, utensils, cutlery, etc.) that I was disappointed with. You might end up with the odd bad apple but, in terms of value for money, I think it's quite difficult to do better.

Latest posts

Back