Denka from epicedge really any better?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're lucky to be near EE. I'm a huge fan of supporting local knife shops—a fave pastime for me in NYC—engaging face-to-face, seeing knives in person, etc.
They have a great selection, and always work to keep things new and interesting. Good resource for pocket knives and shaving too. Plus they have a shop dog. Can't go wrong there. It's best to know what you want before you go in though.

If you ever make it to the Best Coast, we can take a field trip.

Thank you guys. Since I have decided on a 240 mm I dont think ill go with a denka. From my other thread I think ill maybe look into watanabe pro 240 stainless clad blue or toyama 240 stainless clad. Maybe look at some european bladesmiths, maybe start a New thread about it! :)
Great choices - I can’t say enough good things about my SS clad toyama’s

for a western maker - you could try Dalman ( though he is a bit busy till March😂😂😂), or his collaborator Bjorn Birgersson - Swedes make great knives at reasonable prices. You could also look at Heldqvist or Isasmedjan - also from Sweden - all are great performing knives

Living in Europe and having to deal with approximately +30% customs and taxes there is absolutely no way I would have a Denka sent to me ever. Those are overpriced at their standard rate already, even without another third to be added on top...

Living in Europe and having to deal with approximately +30% customs and taxes there is absolutely no way I would have a Denka sent to me ever. Those are overpriced at their standard rate already, even without another third to be added on top...
Isn't Kamon a denka with A+ FnF anyway? And consistent profile. And grind. And and and...

They have a great selection, and always work to keep things new and interesting. Good resource for pocket knives and shaving too. Plus they have a shop dog. Can't go wrong there. It's best to know what you want before you go in though.

If you ever make it to the Best Coast, we can take a field trip.
Have you visited this guys store? I think he's in Portland. It was this YT vid that got me intrigued about TF 5 years ago. That's his personal Denka in the vid.

Isn't Kamon a denka with A+ FnF anyway? And consistent profile. And grind. And and and...
Not a fan of his profiles and the recessed handle bolts in the bolster are just a poor design to keep clean and dry. JMHO

I can write and comment here with my experience insofar as the following:
1. I've purchased from EE before - excellent vendor and top quality and service; I would not hesitate to pay more for something they have if that something was at times - or in other places - had QC issues
2. I've purchased TF's from other vendors and have had some with grind issues, but the knives are still excellent performers
3. I've purchased 4 or 5 TF's direct from TF and the most recent three had excellent grinds - they are definitely improving over the years
4. You would not regret getting a good Denka; yes there are a lot of great knives out there and others to consider, but the Denka, esp. a good one, will be in the top handful in terms of performance every single time

Kamon knives are A+ performers. But I would not consider them that similar to a Denka in just about any regard. Different profiles, grinds, weights, balance points, etc.. In terms of FnF, no question Ben's knives are incredible. Both are excellent performers.

Have you visited this guys store? I think he's in Portland. It was this YT vid that got me intrigued about TF 5 years ago. That's his personal Denka in the vid.

Eytan is the champ. Portland Knife House is a joy to visit as well, for me beyond JKI it’s my favorite shop I’ve been to outside of Japan hands down. I think he doesn’t have as much notoriety because he’s stayed analog over the years, but he’s been working on a website this year so I think that will change.

Kamon knives are A+ performers. But I would not consider them that similar to a Denka in just about any regard. Different profiles, grinds, weights, balance points, etc.. In terms of FnF, no question Ben's knives are incredible. Both are excellent performers.
Yeah fair point. I was thinking of the visuals only. Just being an idiot on the internet.

Glad to hear of improved consistency. It's rare to hear of multiple samples.fro.the same person, thanks for thr insight.

I have purchased twice directly from T-F and twice from EE (with the 10% KKF discount) and have been satisfied with all of the purchases. My EE purchase was a Watanabe blade though.

Thank you guys. Since I have decided on a 240 mm I dont think ill go with a denka. From my other thread I think ill maybe look into watanabe pro 240 stainless clad blue or toyama 240 stainless clad. Maybe look at some european bladesmiths, maybe start a New thread about it! :)
Watanabe and Toyama Stainless Clad are the same knife as far as i can tell. I have the Wat 210 and the Toyama 240 and except for length they look identical.

I will just say this. I have never bought a knife from EE so I can't say anything about them. I own all 3 levels of TF knives. I bought all 3 direct and had them handled here. The Denka I received was/is the sharpest OOTB knife I have ever owned. It blew through anything and everything effortlessly. For everyday use I actually prefer the maboroshi but there is nothing like a deka, IMO.

I will just say this. I have never bought a knife from EE so I can't say anything about them. I own all 3 levels of TF knives. I bought all 3 direct and had them handled here. The Denka I received was/is the sharpest OOTB knife I have ever owned. It blew through anything and everything effortlessly. For everyday use I actually prefer the maboroshi but there is nothing like a deka, IMO.
Compared to what, is it the sharpest? There is something special about it, isn't there... hehe

I think I'm kinda falling in love with Konosuke Kaiju 240mm though!

If you're new to sharpening I wouldn't splurge on a knife with a fancy expensive finish. Chances are you'll ruin that finish on your first sharpening. Unless you tape everything but the edge I guess...

If you're new to sharpening I wouldn't splurge on a knife with a fancy expensive finish. Chances are you'll ruin that finish on your first sharpening. Unless you tape everything but the edge I guess...
Or just get a mirror finish knife and a muddy King stone and to much pressure. Not that I've experienced that 🤐

Of course. I would only touch that after many many hours of practice. I have a cheap knife to practice on... And cheap knives are abundant in my family 😅

The Konosuke Kaiju production (hand sharpening) has been delayed. They thought that they were going to ship at the end of November but now the ship date is unknown.

Might be a recent change with all the new members, pro discount is still 10% though.

Back