Design improvement, convexing and grinding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beginnings :viking:

The bar
cut out
finished profile

bar.jpg

o-1 knives1.jpg

O-1 kives2.jpg

Sorry, The full bar is 3 ft (just over a meter) The profiles are my usual 240+mm.
More pics later with a ruler :viking:

My 240mm blank a carter 240, and a 210 wa-style for Mark Farley.

ruler.jpg

As a result of the last picture it has been brought to my attention that my current design is a bit pregnant(6 months or so :biggrin: no offence to the ladies-you are all beautiful) and need to lose that belly. While pregnant ladies are attractive big bellied knives are less so. So overnight I put them on a fad diet(the sandpaper diet, good for other things too, check out the joke thread on burlsource forum for details) and here is the result.
My original design up front, the modified one in the middle and a carter in the back.
A couple of shots on the board as well,the old one and the new one.

Let me know what you think of the profile improvements. :viking:
Del

redsign group.jpg

old.jpg

new.jpg

Put me down for one of these, pending inspection of your passaround knife. If your grind is what you and everyone else says it is and O1 is any good as a kitchen knife steel, this is going to be a hands down winner.

Obtuse,
It does look low in that pic, but its mostly my crappy photography. I was holding the camera and the blank at the same time.
Del

This rascal is getting big :viking:
4 knives ready for HT
In the oven

reaver.jpg

group2.jpg

ht.jpg

Distal tapering after heat treating
Time for lunch, more later :viking:

distal taper1.jpg

taper.jpg

Very exciting, Del! I don't really understand the difference between the two knives in the first pic. One seems to have scratches running from handle to tip and the other from spine to heel? What's the deal with that?

The first is the preliminary grind, to get most of the material off, and then I blend it by grinding lengthwise.
Del

Very exciting, Del! I don't really understand the difference between the two knives in the first pic. One seems to have scratches running from handle to tip and the other from spine to heel? What's the deal with that?

That creates an invisible cross hatched texture to keep things from sticking to the blade. Don't tell anyone, it is supposed to be a secret. (just teasing) :wink:

What happened after lunch?

He probably took a nap.

That creates an invisible cross hatched texture to keep things from sticking to the blade. Don't tell anyone, it is supposed to be a secret. (just teasing) :wink:

He probably took a nap.

It was a siesta, justified with temps over 90f

Back