Devin Thomas Interview

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larrin

Reaction score
I've never happened across an interview with my father on the internet before. Apparently this video has been on youtube for 9 months.

[video=youtube;RKrzid6gDSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKrzid6gDSg[/video]

Oivind you crazy fanboy...

Larrin, that video is cool. You should have someone do another, longer one, about something Devin wants to talk about.

Oivind you crazy fanboy...

Larrin, that video is cool. You should have someone do another, longer one, about something Devin wants to talk about.

A thread with suggested questions wouldn't be so bad...

Devin:

1. Who do you consider the best kitchen knife maker in the world?
2. How long is your waiting list at the moment?
3. Your first damscus - any pattern?
4. Are there any easy and hard damacus patterns? Ie: is Ladder more easy to make than spirograph?
5. How many customs do you make a year
6. How many ITK are you planning to make this year?

Father and son question:
1. When will you two team up and make the knife the world never ever saw before?
With Larrins knowledge in metallurgy and with Devins skills and experience in the forge - what will we see?

Well, really, I have many dumb questions I'd like to ask him, but I want to see him being interviewed about something HE really wants to talk about. Both the information and the choice of subject would be enlightening to me. As technical or general as he wants, I wanna know what Devin Thomas wants the world to ask him, and what he'd like to say.

I just talked with Devin the other day on the phone and he is a super nice guy. Taught me some of his secrets (I can't tell) and gave me some great advice. So, I suppose the question you should ask for the next interview is, "when will you stop making knives, so that Michael Rader's damascus doesn't look so bad any more by comparison?"

Just kidding. Kind of. No, really, just kidding.
-M

When will Hoss stop letting that 750 pound hammer waste in his front yard. DT has enough equipment sitting on his lawn to start a Zwilling factory.

Me and Mario visited Devin last fall. We had a great time and learned a great deal (for beginners). I was very impressed with Hoss operation, his damascus steel and him as a knife maker. Made me want emulate him. :)

His damascus patterns are very, very clean and there is nothing Hoss can't make, except for making a lot of money. That's not me, that's Jackie's (Hoss wife) saying. :)

I have to add, that Hoss helped countless people along the way, he is nicest and a down to earth (highly intelligent though) guy. I can't wait to visit with him and his family again.

M

Back