Diabetes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is, there are many places where its significantly less economical to eat healthy unprocessed foods. Food giants have something to do with that. People like me, who have a decent salary, live in a middle or upper middle income neighborhood, can afford in both time and money fresh foods make the choice to be healthy everyday. I choose to eat nutritious food or fast food. If I choose to eat unhealthy, I choose whether to not to exercise extra to try and mitigate some of that. My parents had the resources to introduce me to different foods and expand my palate as a kid. My income and circumstances I was born into allow me that choice.

However, if you live in a food desert and/or make significantly less than the average income, eating habits are much less a choice. In those areas, grocery stores have higher prices for produce, often times than even a upper end store like Whole Foods, for much less quality. At the same time big agri is one of the most subsidized industries, and the crops that get subsidies tend to be cereal grains used to make either high sugar foods OR go into animal feed, which in turn subsidizes red meat. These in turn get combined to make things like a Big Mac,, with high salt, high fat from the subsidized meat and cheese, and often deceptively high amounts of sugar from sauces. High salt, fat, and sugar contents are also addictive to our brains.

A child brought up in that environment, is very likely, even if they can escape it economically as an adult to have their brain chemistry tied to it. Parents in that environment are both less likely to have the resources to cook for their kids, and the time. That's not to say personal responsibility plays no role. I very much believe it does, and we have an ethical obligation to try and fix things we can control, even when dealt a bad hand. But I think it'd be naive not to acknowledge for a very large portion of the American population (and probably many others), our food system stacks the deck against them being healthy. Some will overcome it, many won't.

You nailed it. It is a stacked deck. I thought knew about health but found still had some bad ideas when found had pre diabetes. Drank lots of orange juice and other fruit juices because thought was healthy. My favorite ginger drink had lots of ginger had to shake the bottle, lemon juice and agave.

Cut out all that stuck to green tea no sugar, and water.

The Costco in the more wealthy area has greater health food type items.

The Costco in midtown Honolulu is most busy in the nation. It has cases of spam. Hawaii has highest per capa consumption of spam in the US. I've eaten a few spam musubi Fried on a big hunk of white rice wrapped with a strip of nori seaweed

It can be argued that everyone has a smartphone I went on mine to research foods & diabetes. I would think if you had pre diabetes you would do do the same. It's a long shot though. My friend is a retired airline pilot. Same age as me takes all kinds of medications still eats junk food just doesn't care.

I have a friend with prediabetes just cut all carbohydrates altogether and his A1C went back to about normal in 6 months. We really don't know a thing about our optimal dietary requirements as a species....
Take it from someone with Agent Orange caused diabetes, its not as simple as cutting carbs and sugars from your diet.

The problem is, there are many places where its significantly less economical to eat healthy unprocessed foods. Food giants have something to do with that.
I forgot to come back, but this is what I was going to say, basically (so thanks for saving me typing it out :) A lot of people (especially in the US) don't have the options that some of us take for granted.

Also, the following - the makers of that cheap longlife food (which people who don't have fresh food options or don't understand why they would be better off eating fresh food eat) make it so that it both screws with your satiety signalling (i.e. you keep eating it well past being "full") and also make it as addictive as possible. That's the way to shift more product, people. It's not a conspiracy, it's just smart business. Lobbying the government to promote this stuff via the food pyramid is also just smart business. There's a reason that tobacco companies moved into food once tobacco finally got caught out. Same tactics, but with an even better product to push - you can quit smoking, but you can't quit eating.

It's also beige, to keep the Beige Lion happy 🙃 @Carl Kotte

1599642224684.png

Back